Door Key Blanks... USA Western Region

See this section for contacts and details of events in North America and Canada.

Moderator: Darren

RockyUSA

Door Key Blanks... USA Western Region

Post by RockyUSA »

Hey Gang -

I was struggling to get door keys cut for my '72 Interceptor Mk111.

The one key that worked was marked:

Ilco Canada MAS1

I was able to get some:

USA Ilco 1180S XL7 blanks.

The XL7 blanks are not EXACTLY the same as the MAS1 blanks, there is an extra groove on them, and the "meat" of the blank (height) is a little shorter, but...

The extra groove doesn’t matter because the lock tumbler doesn’t have a protrusion to engage it, so the XL7 key can still be inserted into the lock body

I was able to get them cut, and they work in my door locks! I now have 4 functional keys for my doors! Whoo-Hoo!

It's kind of crazy, as there is only a very tiny amount of material removed on the XL7 blanks I had cut.

I have 8 remaining blanks... Happy to give them away (in pairs) to four lucky JOC Western Region members. No guarantee the blanks will work for you, but they might! Just go to a real locksmith, not Ace Hardware to get them cut.

PM me, or Post Up here.

Rocky

PS> I can (will) bring them to the Davis California event (18-19 May, 2024), or we can make arrangement to mail them.

IMG_3397_Working_Door_Keys.jpg
IMG_3397_Working_Door_Keys.jpg (134.24 KiB) Viewed 39 times
Last edited by RockyUSA on Fri May 03, 2024 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
champagnetastes_cardboardbudget

Re: Door Key Blanks... USA Western Region

Post by champagnetastes_cardboardbudget »

The second design is close to a Chrysler ignition key. Mopar Muscle Cars used one similar to that as an ignition key, and the key to the trunk is round.

Have you ever sent an ignition tumbler or lock tumbler off to have it have a key made for it ? I need a door tumbler key cut. I used to use a blank to make a pattern and then put it on my Rusnok and used an horology collet and a micro end mill to make the key groove. On a MK III the ignition patterns seem to take extremely fine cuts.
RockyUSA

Re: Door Key Blanks... USA Western Region

Post by RockyUSA »

No, I have not had a key cut from a tumbler.

I was lucky enough to have two working locks, and one working key, so worked hard on just duplicating the hood key…

That was hard enough!

Good luck!

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible

Return to “North America”