Int convertible R on Carhuna auction site 2340-1047

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

Int convertible R on Carhuna auction site 2340-1047

Post by Peter Rothery »

https://carhuna.com/auctions/vehicle/19 ... -r-90ge633

Not sure why they opted for the Lynx hood...it looks worse than an original IMHO.
2340-1047.jpg
2340-1047.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 276 times
Grant

Re: Int convertible R on Carhuna auction site 2340-1047

Post by Grant »

I do like this Peter..But, I do like JIA cars anyway, well, the later stuff is of a much better standard, this was done a long time ago as I saw it in the workshop there prob 10/12 years ago, I think since then it's had some of the later stuff added like the single wiper, but, whats this header rail on it..do you recognise itImage, I haven't see one for a long time now, but I don't recognise it..do you? >>
>>
Jen Covert header rail.jpg
Jen Covert header rail.jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 231 times
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

No I do not recognise it. As Lynx were involved I would guess it has some Jag parts involved somewhere although the electrically operated latches may be Saab???? I hate the closing panel...and what are the presss studs for? The micro-switch in the centre looks equally cheap IMHO as does the handle.
Whoever thought this was pleasing to the eye probably also had a hand in choosing the door mirror screws as well. What was wrong with raised countersunk cross head stainless screws???
door mirror.jpeg
door mirror.jpeg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Not really sure what a "Lynx" roof is PeterMan..is it what was on an XJS?..are you saying this is a completely different roof on this convert, Peter?Image
Edit:..I've just decided to read the "Blurb" :lol: ..So maybe it's just the header rail Peter is it?..the rest looks the same, yes the poppers on the hood cover and the hood cover itself looks "YUK"!!..I did notice those Allen Headed bolts myself last night..terrible, I like the correct nuts and bolts..this is the Manual Gearbox I just finished and you'll notice my fetish with nuts and bolts via the polisher :P >>>
>>
DSC09391.JPG
DSC09391.JPG (283.56 KiB) Viewed 148 times
>>>Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

As I understand it, Lynx was a Company that was asked to create an improved hood mechanism for the 1990's convertibles. I presume it was to help it sit lower which seems to be the major complaint with the Jensen design....not helped when using a mohair top as opposed to the everflex vinyl type? Jensen went with the old design in the end. I guess JIA either have access to the prototype new hood mechanism or drawings of it and decided to go with it for this car.
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Peter and Grant,

Thanks for the discussion on the Lynx hood - I was also going to ask the same question as to what was different / improved about it - if it sat lower down on the body when lowered I'd be interested, but I could see any side on photos with the hood down to see if that's the case.

The header rail looks interesting:
  • when the top is down, it seems that the electric hood latches protrude above the hood cover - I'm not a fan of that look
  • when the top is up, wouldn't the hood latches protrude and interfere with the sun visors (unless these have been modified too)? If you had an accident in one, would you be at risk with your head potentially hitting those hood latches (would this be an issue for type approval)?
The side panels of the rear seats look like they're off a saloon and not a convertible (note the curved wheel arch covers are smaller on a convertible), and there's no rear lighting on each rear side panel.

But I'm nit picking - I'd take the drivetrain any day, and I love the exterior colour!

Cheers,
Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Julian

Post by Julian »

Gosh we are lucky not getting the surface corrision you see here in sunny (salt free) NZ.

Looks like the boot has a strut holding it up?
Presumeably the hood was broken/missing hence the not so great version fitted - bet it cost plenty however.
I think the side arms of the roof look different as well ?
Nice car, whether the effort to convert to a single wiper would be worth it I'm not sure but a newer, lighter more powerful LS3 and auto would be nice ...

Hard to tell but the visors look standard convertible i think. Why do i think that? becuase looking from the front of the car I think you can see the gap between them and the roof which at the wrong angle lets the sunlight thru regardless of where you angle the visor ...
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible

Return to “Cars For Sale”