Rear handbrake assembly fork

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
mojo

Rear handbrake assembly fork

Post by mojo »

This is something that I found on my C-V8 MkIII when fixing the bodgery that had been done to its handbrake caliper assemblies:

Before I throw it away, I thought it would be wise to check that this is not a part from an earlier model such as a 541! Does anyone recognise it from another model?
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Rear handbrake assembly fork

Post by VFK44 »

These parts are indeed of the type that are fitted to disc-brake 541s as retractors. I think they come in differing sizes, so may be off a different model. Does the C-V8 not have anything like this?

Below is a picture of a Dunlop/Girling rear disc brake calliper off a Jaguar.
Handbrake.jpg
Handbrake.jpg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 167 times
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
mojo

Post by mojo »

Thanks - yes, the C-V8 has forks that are *exactly* as shown in your picture.

That's why I replaced the one in my picture with one that looks like the one in your picture. Yes, they are Jaguar-based, and yes, the correct type (for a Jaguar) comes in two different sizes. As far I'm aware, the C-V8 only used the largest of the type shown in *your* picture.

I think you are saying that the one in *my* picture is the type fitted to a 541. Have I understood that correctly?
DaveT
JOC 541 Registrar

Post by DaveT »

All the 541 (DL, R, S) that I have worked on have a different fixing arrangement for the retraction forks with 2 holes rather than the thicker tab opposite the forks… saying that, there are very few DLs that have not been modified over the years to take square friction pads, so perhaps the earliest types were like this. Stephen’s picture also shows the (later?) type with 2 fixing holes.

Dave
Dave Turnage
Colchester

JOC 8674
JOC 541 Registrar
541S, 100/1061
541R, 6002/387 (now in lots of pieces!)
Alvis speed 25 DHC
mojo

Post by mojo »

It's odd - at one stage I thought I had seen somewhere that this type was used on one variant of the e-type, but I can't remember where now and I suspect I'm just remembering wrong!

In some ways it's a better design than the bolted design, because it's fully floating - in theory, if one side of the disk is rougher than the other (e.g. rust) and the pad wears more on that side, the floating design allows the fork to centre itself. But no doubt there are downsides - in particular there is not much metal in the "socket" and when that rusts away, the fork can just drop out!

Return to “General Discussion”