Superb Early Interceptor Article

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
David Davies

Superb Early Interceptor Article

Post by David Davies »

Another wonderful article by John Staddon in the March/April JOC magazine on his Early Interceptor restoration. While the detailed updates on the Early Cars Forum have been fascinating, it’s also very helpful to pull the various aspects together in a series of magazine articles. They also showcase the great expertise and enthusiasm of some of the professionals working in the Jensen restoration field. There really have been some jaw-dropingly difficult things to deal with on this restoration, such as the knock-on effects of the accident damage. As the underbidder when the car was auctioned some years ago, I am sort of relieved that I didn’t buy it - and so is my bank manager.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Re: Superb Early Interceptor Article

Post by Joerg »

´Looking forwaed to read it - magazine hasn’t arrived in Germany yet. I share the same experience as John, here is my car, hiding the accident damage on body under tons of bondo (and a bend front frame!), but when we started with, what should be only a gearbox rebuild, it ended in a six year full restoration :-) - Now in the paint shop and hopefully ready for the road next spring.
Attachments
IMG_7949.JPG
IMG_7949.JPG (234.23 KiB) Viewed 184 times
067.jpeg
067.jpeg (269.13 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Last edited by Joerg on Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
John Staddon
JOC C-V8 Registrar

Post by John Staddon »

I need to start the next article on the mechanical and electrical work, or I will end up leaving it for a couple of years as I did with the bodywork article, and I hope we will be finished by then....

The car is at the trimmers and they are saying 5 weeks to complete, but I don't believe them and think it will be a couple of months, based on progress so far, then it is back to base for final fettling, remember we have only driven it a few yards/metres so we have no real idea of how it runs, and there are issues to sort out still with the rear springs being too low, battery charging seems a bit low though the dynamo has been refurbished, the spare wheel won't fit between the legs of the old frame for the tow hook that we removed, the hook, not the frame (the hook could be refitted, but there are now no electrics for a trailer or caravan so it is not as simple as bolting it back on), front and rear screens need sealing, and so on. But I hope we will be on the home run soon.

Ulric Woodhams is nearing completion of No 63, an oily rag restoration as Ulric is trying to conserve as much of the original car as possible, and Darren Barnes must be making good progress with No 20 as he was asking about engine colour back in February. Wouldn't it be great to see them all together, with Mick Barnett's two cars, and Lyz Turner's car, and Greg Knight's car. Then there is the Benjamin Britten car which is, or was, at Riverbourne for a retrim, and there are or were two others at Riverbourne I am told, but I don't know which cars they are. Incidentally, I am told the engine on Mick B's coupe has blown up and smashed the block, he has a spare block available but it will be a while till that one is back on the road.

John
Early Interceptor INT885347
C-V8 Mk111 112/2334
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

It’s very heartening to hear of all these Early Interceptors being restored. For a very long time they were largely unloved and forgotten car in the classic car world and even the JOC apart from a few stalwarts who kept the flag flying. They are just the sort of highly idiosyncratic model that only the Jensen brothers would have produced, worlds apart from the suave Italian styling of the company’s later models.
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Great news John. I remember when Cropredy advertised one for sale and I was so tempted probably c1980. Marcus Garbe bought it and for years it was the only one we saw regularly at JOC events. Nobody was interested in them.

I've never driven one, but they should be really nice, especially yours!

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
kees

Post by kees »

David Davies wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:29 am ....... For a very long time they were largely unloved and forgotten car in the classic car world and even the JOC apart from a few stalwarts who kept the flag flying. They are just the sort of highly idiosyncratic model that only the Jensen brothers would have produced, worlds apart from the suave Italian styling of the company’s later models.
Rather surprising as I find it, together with the 541S, the most attractive and elegant Jensen.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

We look forward to reading your article on the restoration later in the year, Joerg :D
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001

Return to “General Discussion”