Best Version of Interceptor (Saloon) and Why?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
RockyUSA

Best Version of Interceptor (Saloon) and Why?

Post by RockyUSA »

There have been some discussion slightly about the best version of the Interceptor.

I only have my Mk111 and (a similar one) to judge…. I was told that the Mk111s have the best parts availability…. Plus one would assume that the majority of issues identified with the cars would have been worked out in the latest configuration of the vehicle.

Some seem convinced the Mk11s are best, but I’m not sure why.

The Mk1s certainly have the coolest dash treatment.

It would be entertaining (and perhaps instructive to some of the newer members) to hear some of the reasons behind the opinions on which is the best version.

Thanks -

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
DPP

Re: Best Version of Interceptor (Saloon) and Why?

Post by DPP »

A good topic for discussion Rocky, and Im sure there will be many differing opinions but for looks alone the MK1 wins hands down in my book.
Not just for the dash as you mentioned which although a bit fussy with the switches if you are not used to them it exudes 60s class and is only bettered by a Facel Vega in my opinion.
Also the seats look much better with the pleats, especially the rear which just looks so much roomier and then to top it all off the bumpers especially at the front have so much more prescence.

Ive always thought though that the designers at Jensen did a wonderful job of updating the car whilst changing very little and at minimal cost. The later cars are great and when in production were the right move in making them look more modern, but now we are all getting a bit older I prefer the earlier look.

As for mechanicals they are all great to drive in different ways but the one thing I dont like is the change of rear axle ratios after the G series cars. I never understood why people wanted to go to great expense and trouble fitting overdrives as I had been driving a G series car for years until I did a long drive in a J series car where you really notice the differance.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

A couple of things that strike me:

MK1…. I do like the bumper overriders best.. the cool pointy ones!

Mk11…. It seems like the interior is plainer than some of the Mk111’s…. I can’t say with certainty, but I thought the center console was mostly black plastic.

Mk111… As mentioned, at least some of the cars (the majority?) have very nice walnut veneer consoles. I also like the cast headlight valence surrounds.

Myself, I would think there is more performance potential with the 440 engines, but that is if you are going to pull it out and build it. That probably brings a cooling challenge with it…. But if you are going to build a motor, you probably are wise to ensure your cooling system in the block and radiator are operating at 100% efficiency as a part of the build.

Plus, I’m a big fan of the GKN “coffin” wheels. Rostlyes are nice, but they remind me of the GM sport wheels, but the GKNs are unique.

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Dion

Post by Dion »

The performance difference between the series should not be a deal breaker because as Rocky says you are able to build it just as you want.

Love the lower front bumper (Mk1) and the smaller Italian rear lamps (Mk1 and early Mk2). A pretty big (maybe the biggest), negative of the Mk1 is the missing air con. It is possible to retrofit something but so much more work compared to a car which has already an evaporator incorporated in the interior HVAC.

Interesting to see Rocky's USA view on the GKN alloy wheels. In a world where you had Buicks and cars with Magnum wheels, the Rostyles may not look very different. That said, in Europe the Rostyles (most with painted rims) were fitted to many more cars but they (fully chromed) look so good on the Interceptor!

I used to not like the higher front bumper on the Mk2/3. It made the front look more bland, many other cars from that time frame have a similar type of front. But I have come round and see that it is a good design.

Never was a big fan of the Mk2 / early Mk3 vinyl dash. But not a fan of the late Mk3 wood dash either, too bold with the main instruments a bit too small for them. Now I would not mind the vinyl dash (never as good as the Mk1 dash though), they tried modern looking in a way what is now nicely old fashioned.

I too prefer the Mk1/Mk2 rear seat. The Mk1 front seats are the nicest looking but the Mk2 are pretty good as well (I used a pair for years in my daily Triumph). I am not a fan of the more bold Mk3 interior (with the awful Mk3 steering wheel).

So yeah Mk1 for me although I would not say no to a Mk2, preferably with the USA chromed Rostyles.
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
johnw

Post by johnw »

Of the standard cars, a manual MK1, an SP, a very early MK3 440, or a 383 MK3 would be my favourites in order. I love the GKN wheels and on a sharp MK1 they look the biz given that the No1 choice a sharp set of factory RoStyles are beyond most people's budget. I love Wolfrace wheels too for Mk1s and Mk2s as period aftermarket options.

Difficult to go wrong with a 383 engined MK3 in my book! Unbeatable really. The others are exotica!

A late MK1 with Girling brakes and pointy bumpers is also very practical, cool.

My first Jensen was a MK1, and I remember cruising on the M25 in the 1990s and some kids in the back of some boring square car went bonkers when they saw the Jensen. Those pointy bumpers and the front end view is so 60s cool.

MK3 440? I would be wanting to fit a six pack.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Early MK3 with a 383 is possibly the best.
However, the MK1 has a certain look to it, both inside and out, which is quite simply hard to beat.
No air-con (usually) in a MK1 makes it too hot in the summer months!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
johnw

Post by johnw »

My mk1 FF was never too hot in summer. I would drop both windows down, and had the interior heater permanently off with an isolation valve in the heater hose to be 100% sure. Hardly ever used the Webasto. I had front mounted radiator fans behind the grill. Colin Holley asked if it cooled OK, then pointed out they were running backwards, sucking heat out and forwards! Cold air going in through the side vents! I did wonder if that is what made it so good in London traffic! Reversible fans could be a good mod to try! MK1 FF 122 was fitted with a period Air King Aircon system. Very cool looking. Car has been off the road since the 70s no idea how good it was. I would not let lack of Aircon put me off a MK1!
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

johnw wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:35 am My mk1 FF was never too hot in summer. I would drop both windows down, and had the interior heater permanently off with an isolation valve in the heater hose to be 100% sure. Hardly ever used the Webasto. I had front mounted radiator fans behind the grill. Colin Holley asked if it cooled OK, then pointed out they were running backwards, sucking heat out and forwards! Cold air going in through the side vents! I did wonder if that is what made it so good in London traffic! Reversible fans could be a good mod to try! MK1 FF 122 was fitted with a period Air King Aircon system. Very cool looking. Car has been off the road since the 70s no idea how good it was. I would not let lack of Aircon put me off a MK1!
Don't forget I have a MK1 FF and often end a journey sweaty, hot and bothered! Give me air-con for comfort please :D
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

The little triangular window by the A post works magic in the C-V8, you can open it more than 90 degrees and even at slow speeds lets plenty of air in the car- but the car does need to be moving... And with the Webasto open in the summer most of the time there are very few occasions where I've missed having an AC.

What I really enjoyed with our J Series Interceptor were the long trips. Super comfortable, I love those seats. The car lacked some oomph, but I think the engine may have been a bit tired.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
johnw

Post by johnw »

The early MK1 Interceptor with quarter lights for you then Felix.
OzJensen
Location: Sydney Australia - after a great few years in the UK!

Post by OzJensen »

This debate could go on for pages and pages!! In summary all Interceptors are super cool according to Jeremy Clarkson and I totally agree!

When I was looking to buy an Interceptor some 25 years ago I looked all over Australia, and my criteria was for a well maintained original one - I was not fussed whether it was a Mk1, Mk2 or Mk3.

I ended up with a well maintained Mk2 and have kept it for 24 years - and hopefully many more. And I have no desire to sell it to buy any other Interceptor. So why am I so happy with a Mk2?

The key reasons are:

1. The pleated interior - really classy looking and the seats are so comfortable
2. The front footwell air vents - great having that fresh air cooling your nether parts
3. The integrated airconditioing - so essential for long trips in a hot country
4. The long 2.88 diff - keeps the engine revs low on those long trips
5. The 383 - likes to rev, easier to keep cool, slightly more economical, and a bit more space to work around in the engine bay

Next month I will be driving across Australia to Perth (4,000kms) for the JCCA National Rally, then touring Western Australia (another 2,000kms) and then back again (another 4,000kms) - and the Mk2 is the perfect car to do so - and yes - the bank manager has been briefed on the petrol cost!
Tony Cope
JCCA President, JOC Australian Rep
Sydney

CV-8 Mk3 112/2382 ex UK 1973 to USA now Oz
Interceptor Mk 2 123/3957 ex UK 1974 now Oz

M: +61 448 400 160
E: tonywcope@gmail.com
E: president@jcca.org.au
E: australia@joc.org.uk
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Tony…

Great rationale, especially #2!

And that’s the kind of input needed in this thread… “The Why?”

For the prospective buyers, to whom the (Jensen) world is their oyster…. And can pick any flavor they like…. This is the kind of info they need!!!

In my case, I made a spreadsheet of all the cars that were available for about a year before I pulled the trigger…and I bought the best one I could find!

But a discussion Ike this may have changed my priorities a little bit!

Leon (Nitewing Interceptor) did steer me toward a Mk111, though!

Rocky
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Best for sure Late MK1. By then they had ironed out all the Vignale early issues.
FF top of the tree.
MK1 has the best bumpers.
Late MK1 benifited from Mk2 underneath upgrades.
MK1 .. Best interior by a mile. Later interiors got progressively bulky and disjointed looking in my view. Also later steering wheels YUk.

Convertables just horrible. Just chop the roof off and pack everything on top why dont we. Surely someone could have designed a way to pack roof away when not in use. Needed man from Mercedes who did SLC to SL, then it would have been gorgeous.
Coupe. Lets take a convertable and replace the hood with Austin Allegro rear screen and fill the gap with a piece of glass. Yes that works.....

MK1 Downside... No Air con fitted (as far as i know). Bit sweaty for you California peeps.
johnw

Post by johnw »

I will add to dellboys comments, which I don't disagree with (edit -apart from the bit about convertibles). All FFs are good, the later having Girling brakes, cheaper, even better. Early Mk1 iinterceptor issue being the tried and tested but more complicated front suspension from the CV8. The later MK1 suspension and sharper girling brakes being cheaper to maintain. Some of the early cars have nicer details like opening front quaterlights, nicer window switches, different bonnet release handle, squared off front bumper, more leather, cool rear screen fans, subtle shape differences, different overriders (2 styles of MK1 overrider!) etc.
Last edited by johnw on Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Delboy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:15 am Coupe. Lets take a convertable and replace the hood with Austin Allegro rear screen and fill the gap with a piece of glass. Yes that works.....
It could have worked... There's a guy on the forum called Mark 1, in the US, who rebuilt a Coupe as it should have been: replacement window, remodelled roof, clear glass insert.
I think the results show that the car could have been stunning, instead of quirky.
10.jpg
10.jpg (252.06 KiB) Viewed 200 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (227.26 KiB) Viewed 200 times
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “General Discussion”