Anyone know this car

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
glover40

Anyone know this car

Post by glover40 »

I’m looking to purchase an Interceptor and seen this ad. Anyone know it? Any views as it seems to read well?

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1638150
Peter Rothery

Re: Anyone know this car

Post by Peter Rothery »

I don't know anything about the car but I like the colour. I would however budget for a complete set of decent tyres if you chose to take it further. Pirelli P4000's haven't been made since 2011 (one is date stamped 2010) and the rears look like van tyres. The arches look like they have scabs developing which will need attention at some stage. The vendor has mentioned the air con doesn't work (another £1200+ for a fantastic FenAir upgrade) and a failed rev counter...as well as various work completed to assist with cooling issues (Does it overheat?). Still plenty of things to address despite the £20k+ expenditure IMHO.
Cobrasteve

Post by Cobrasteve »

Apparently it's a aston martin green ii like the colour
I'm a novice and I've spotted some issues but I'd still be game if I had the room 😬
glover40

Post by glover40 »

Thanks for the advice. Good spot on the tyres. Never a good sign imho if the tyres have been neglected. I imagine these cars always need something but trying to see if this is worth it and priced right?
DPP

Post by DPP »

I always like to see the oily bits as many cars have shiny paintwork, but money is often neglected in the engine bay.

As soon as I see an old compressor and a/c pipework I think a bill of over £2K will be coming, the £1200 Peter mentioned will buy a Fenair system but then it still needs to be fitted and assumes the evaporator does not leak.
The cooling fan also looks homemade and I suspect it will be adequate so more money needed again.

Many cars had non working a/c but it seems that many owners now have rectified this and it does make a difference as these cars can get very hot inside.

I have no knowledge of the car and have not looked too closely at it but just trying to educate you on what might need to be spent even when you buy a nice car. Personally if you dont work on your own cars I would allow £5-10K in the budget if you want to sort out any problems immediately.
These are great cars but parts are not cheap and they can be very labour intensive.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
glover40

Post by glover40 »

Thanks for the advice. Interested in how you spot the old compressor. 70s mechanics I can do as have a reasonably large garage and tools. It’s the bodywork that worries me. Be good to u deist and what original looks like and what are good upgrades as I have already seen lots about alternators, carbs, brakes etc
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Agree with DPP wholeheartedly. I also personally don't like things like the missing bonnet sealing rubber (maybe the new bonnet didn't fit too well with the correct rubber?), the clear plastic hose used on one of the two brake reservoirs and the non original ballast resistor moved to the cooling fan brackets. Not to mention the awful battery clamp.

Bodywork alert as mentioned earlier:
front arch.jpg
front arch.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 334 times
The comment about "draining the system" with the air con running doesn't seem to make any sense. Are we talking about an electrical problem like a failing battery or is he referring to a partially seized air con pump? No idea.

That aside it is always worth checking the MOT history (if it has been submitted for a test that is) to see what has been going on. The worrying 2022 advisories seem to have been addressed (how well remains to be seen) with the exception of the oil leak:

Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner wheel arch near side and offside boot mounting (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Rear Leaf spring anchor bracket corroded but not seriously weakened both sides and springs also corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Oil leak, but not excessive oil leaks (8.4.1 (a) (i))

Where is the oil coming from.....engine, box, steering, diff? Not ideal situation at any asking price. Are you precious about your garage floor/driveway? :-)
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

My list of upgrades includes:

Relays on both the main and dip headlight circuit
Bosch fans
Relay for each of the above
Air con upgrade
Fast Wind starter
Mitsubishi alternator
Slave electric fuel pump relayed from the oil light switch with safety impact switch
Central locking
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi

Chassis No 136/9156
Ex Factory 06.11.73
Original Registration No OCR 917 M
Originally Royal Blue with a Beige Interior
Factory Fitted Options included Sundym Glass, Air Conditioning and Town & Country Horns

Recorded as currently owned from 1998 to 2023/4 but unfortunately no other record of its earlier history
Has been for sale since 2023

Regards

Jim Smith
JOC Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
glover40

Post by glover40 »

Thanks everyone. Not sure this is the one for me. Great help here

Return to “Cars For Sale”