New member advice

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
glover40

New member advice

Post by glover40 »

Hi everyone, have just joined the group as I’ve always wanted an Interceptor and now in the position to make this happen. Looking for some buying advice. I’ve done a search and nit found this so sorry if I’ve missed it but most of the cars I e found that I like are private sales but I appreciate there’s a lot of risk with cars this age and if you are going to drop 50k or so on one you could really be caught out. So my question is how best to buy one? I know I don’t know enough about cars so who do people recommend to do an independent inspection? Thanks in advance.
Martin R

Re: New member advice

Post by Martin R »

Welcome to the JOC Forum 8)
I don't know if you've actually signed up to the Jensen Owners' Club but joining would give you access to the Interceptor Registrar who may know of cars within the club, coming up for sale.
Some members prefer to sell their cars within the club to ensure the future of them, knowing they are not likely to fall into the hands of Banger racers or simply be laid up and never see the light of day.
Rust is the biggest single enemy of the Interceptor (and most cars of a similar age) so a solid car is preferable to one which might need a little recommissioning.
Joining the JOC also means that your local area rep may be willing and or able to look at prospective purchase options.
There have recently been a couple of members cars sold at very reasonable prices, particularly knowing they have been well loved and regularly used.
I'm sure other people will have their own views and hopefully they will be along to share their opinions soon.
Good luck with your search.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

Buy the best, and most complete car you can…. You will nae get a bargain by buying a “project”….

Each small part that is missing will cost £75…. that adds up quickly…

You want to drive the Gentleman’s Express … not assemble one!

Rocky
Last edited by RockyUSA on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Here’s a useful summary:

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/fea ... tor-and-ff

If you search eBay using ‘Jensen Interceptor magazine’ and scroll through looking for ‘Jensen Interceptor Buyers Guide’ on the front page of the advert, you can pick up useful info for under £5. Sometimes the older guides are best - just ignore the price values.

One day, the club will get around to posting a buyers guide on their web site. But best not hold your breath.
glover40

Post by glover40 »

Martin R wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:35 pm Welcome to the JOC Forum 8)
I don't know if you've actually signed up to the Jensen Owners' Club but joining would give you access to the Interceptor Registrar who may know of cars within the club, coming up for sale.
Some members prefer to sell their cars within the club to ensure the future of them, knowing they are not likely to fall into the hands of Banger racers or simply be laid up and never see the light of day.
Rust is the biggest single enemy of the Interceptor (and most cars of a similar age) so a solid car is preferable to one which might need a little recommissioning.
Joining the JOC also means that your local area rep may be willing and or able to look at prospective purchase options.
There have recently been a couple of members cars sold at very reasonable prices, particularly knowing they have been well loved and regularly used.
I'm sure other people will have their own views and hopefully they will be along to share their opinions soon.
Thanks I didn’t know that about the Club so will join. When buying one you say a local rep can have a look which is very helpful but do people use anyone such as a garage to do an inspection. Given the age of the car and the price I am worried I could get really burnt. Obviously less of a risk buying a members car
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Garages, the AA etc. can all do inspections but, I believe someone with the right knowledge particularly relevant to the Interceptor could be a better bet.
Unfortunately, there are a few cars that come up for sale which superficially look great, but might have been recently resprayed and can be hiding a multitude of sins.
A trusted dealer is another option.
For example, I bought my first car from Appleyard Parts & Service in Ilkeston, near Derby / Nottingham and I found them to be very honest and helpful.
Some other dealers charge absolutely top dollar, so it pays to look around.
Which part of the world are you located?
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
glover40

Post by glover40 »

I’m in Horsham, Sussex. This is why I was asking as I saw a members car for sale in the classifieds but it’s up North so a long way to go if it wasn’t the right car.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Good luck with the search.
As Martin has suggested, join the club and in the first instance, have a look at plenty of (hopefully good) cars at meetings / shows / events.
Even if the cars aren't for sale, members will be only too keen to discuss their cars help and point out the areas to check and so forth and the differences between mk1, 2 and 3 to help you decide what model is best for you. Which will be a mk2... but I'm biased. :D
DPP

Post by DPP »

Be prepared to travel to find the right car and walk away if you are not sure no matter how much time you have wasted as buying the wrong car can be a very costly mistake.

Although some nice cars go through auction a lot of money pits also end up there and if you decide to go this route I would always go and view the car in person even if buying one for a full restoration. Bear in mind that cars sold at auction come with absolutely no comebacks even when wrongly described and there is no chance of taking the car for a drive either.

As said join the club and get involved with the owners in your area, you will learn a lot and may then hear of a known good car coming up for sale. Some of the best cars don't get advertised and sell between members.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
glover40

Post by glover40 »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have now joined the club
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Now that you have joined the club, you will get the magazine with the list of Area Reps and technical advicers, worth ringing and introducing yourself for advice.
Also members cars for sale maybe advertised as well.
Check the 'Cars for sale' on this forum.
Before I brought my Jensen I was advised to, if possible to purchase an JOC members car, as you might find that they may let the car go a little cheaper to someone who is a club member than to someone who is not.

Also what your knowledge on working on cars, if you have mechanical and/ or electrical knowledge then this will help in your choice of car,

This is a very good car.
https://joc.org.uk/joc-forum/?w3=dmlld3 ... 90PTM1Nzkz

And as said, buy the best you can afford and don't buy the first one. Never be afraid to ask, no matter how silly you think the question is, because every owner, nowadays, started the same way.
Then enjoy the journey of a car that becomes a way of life.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
glover40

Post by glover40 »

Thanks for this and some really useful advice here. Have been looking at the the for sale section and there was a car there looked good but other end of the country from me which set me off on this route. I think a JOC car be my best bet as more likely to be a genuine car. My biggest concern being a spend a lot of money on a money pit. expecting the car to need ongoing work due to what they are but trying to get one in as best condition that I can afford
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

glover40 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:32 am Thanks for this and some really useful advice here. Have been looking at the the for sale section and there was a car there looked good but other end of the country from me which set me off on this route. I think a JOC car be my best bet as more likely to be a genuine car. My biggest concern being a spend a lot of money on a money pit. expecting the car to need ongoing work due to what they are but trying to get one in as best condition that I can afford
That's you best bet, these cars are of their day, look after them, service them keep an eye on them, remember prevention is better cure.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
johnw

Post by johnw »

Martin R wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:35 pm There have recently been a couple of members cars sold at very reasonable prices, particularly knowing they have been well loved and regularly used.

Best advice would have been to get one of those!

These cars can be run surprisingly cost effectively if you do your research.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Most have said it already.
BODYWORK. Fact... It will have rusted. So check very closely how well its been restored... Photos of work carried out and by who.

COMPLETE. Make sure everything is there, and ideally numbers match. These cars languished unloved through the 80s and 90s, so many were butchered.
Also remember these cars were practically individually hand built, so panel alligment almost unique to each car, and also interiors were almost bespoke fit to each car. Better to restore than replace.

On a positive... The support and parts availability is amazing considering how few cars were made. Also loads of upgrades available.
Watch out for hens teeth bits.. Can only speak from MK1 experience.. Door handles, Rear light units, bumpers, and bloody wheels (if you want original Rostyles).

Owners club is great, chew some ears, these guys are very knowlegable.

Return to “General Discussion”