VED & classic cars 40 + years

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
colin7673
now normal...

VED & classic cars 40 + years

Post by colin7673 »

I have been hearing a lot recently about the government might be changing the rules regarding the Vehicle Road Duty for classic cars over 40 years old.
Now I know for the UK this could be an election year, but has anybody heard about this and no matter what colour of politic spectrum you sit, this could be a "Nice little earner" for the government and effect 1.5 million cars in the U.K.

This I heard on a radio show and the fact that EVs VED could be effected as well, now that GB has become anti-transport is their any strength in this ?

Has anybody else heard anything ?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
AH1951

Re: VED & classic cars 40 + years

Post by AH1951 »

You will hear different proposals from time-to-time but governments really want to introduce road-pricing.
You will pay according to each mile driven, monitored by satellite transponder, and, as an added bonus, you could be charged at different rates according to the time of day you are driving and how 'polluting' your vehicle is.
One thing is clear:
The 'authorities' want to discourage car use and ownership as much as they can get away with.
All in the absurd lie of 'Klimaschutz'.
(Climate Protection.)
This has almost reached Mass Hysteria levels in Germany where even works canteens offer 'Climate Friendly' meals, and goods and services providers talk about being 'Climate Neutral' or 'Climate Friendly'.
Last edited by AH1951 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

I don’t have a problem with paying VED on classic cars. One may only do a 100 miles a year but the road network is there for one’s use whenever one wants. Why should others finance our hobby?

As for road pricing it’s probably inevitable in due course, with over 30 million cars on British roads. I don’t have a problem with it. The infrastructure should be paid for by those who use it (I do 13-14,000 miles plus a year) not by those who don’t own cars.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Road pricing must surely be coming?
No govt, regardless of their colour, can afford to forgo fuel duty.
I suspect higher prices at peak times etc.
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Any suggestions like this will be nothing more than rumour mongering. The detail of any announcement will only come in the budget on 6th March. All we do know is that rates will increase in line with inflation so like all other rates, classic car rates will go up by the same percentage.
The tax system for VED is a mess. A Range Rover registered before 1st March 2001 will pay £325. Registered after 1st March 2001 it will pay £395, registered after 23rd March 2006 it will now pay £695 and if registered after 1st April 2017 it will pay £180 unless less than 6 years old when there is a £370 supplement added to the £180.
A Ford Focus 1.0 registered in March 2017 will pay zero VED, the same model car registered in April 2017 will pay £180, the same as a Range Rover registered the same month.
What a cockamamie system.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Discussion”