Int convertible project at Appleyards

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

Int convertible project at Appleyards

Post by Peter Rothery »

A great project for someone for sale via Andy Brooks....Shared from their FB page. Asking £18k.
Andy B convertible for sale.jpg
Andy B convertible for sale.jpg (156.58 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: Int convertible project at Appleyards

Post by Chris_R »

That's a big project!
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

A big project but I've seen others in a similar state returned to their glory!
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
DPP

Post by DPP »

Martin R wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:38 pm A big project but I've seen others in a similar state returned to their glory!
Very true Martin but being a convertable lack of available parts would be my biggest worry, there are a few convertibles missing vital parts to be completed.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

DPP wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:19 am
Very true Martin but being a convertable lack of available parts would be my biggest worry, there are a few convertibles missing vital parts to be completed.
It would be good if those seeking parts for convertibles used the Forum "Parts Wanted" section. I am sure the parts are out there somewhere or at least could be copied from parts from cars currently under restoration. If suppliers could gauge the demand, maybe some remanufacturing might happen? I can think of Dino in NZ looking for some convertible roof latches, JIA looking for almost "everything" to attach to their "new" convertible bodyshell, the Canadian import convertible sold by Noble House Classics that was missing many convertible parts. Most american imports seem to be missing the hood bag.....etc etc. Who knows what the car Appleyards are selling might be missing by the time it has been transported around the country.
johnw

Post by johnw »

All good points. The car is apparently complete. You would be advised to check all the parts are there! easier said than done perhaps. The parts wanted section would be a good initial list of key parts to check for! Just putting a Jensen back together is a lot of work, but surely there can be no question that this is a very viable project!

I must say it is really nice to have a Jensen project, all that endless spanner and hammer time to look forward to. You don't have to touch your working Jensen to have some fun either. It must be frustrating though if it was your only Jensen. I'm finally getting to see the light through the tail end of our current Jensen project. it is definitely cheaper in the long run to buy something like this, a bit further along than we did, but then you miss out on all that hammer and spanner work, or perhaps all that "where the hell do I start" drinking and chatting with mates more like.

Slightly off topic but here is where I stand with our project at the moment:
20220715_153955.jpg
20220715_153955.jpg (289.06 KiB) Viewed 869 times
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

I just hope all the spare parts for your car weren’t stored in the boot John!
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Hi Peter,

Excellent points that you raise regarding the availability of Interceptor Convertible parts.

One BIG note of appreciation goes out to Martin Robey who have listed the Interceptor Convertible as a variant on their website, and they show the part diagrams and availability for the convertible including the soft top, the rear quarterlights, interior casings for the rear, front door parts, etc. Speaking from past experience, if I were buying that convertible shell, I'd print out those parts diagrams and try to reconcile what's with the car to those diagrams. As Peter has said, maybe if all convertible owners list their missing parts here on the "Parts Wanted" section (or if we all bug the one supplier like I have with Craig Robey), then maybe we could get enough demand to get the parts into production.

We also have some very resourceful Convertible owners here who really help each other out - Phil Barker (Jensen Motors NZ) was able to help by 3D printing some interior casings for the rear of the car, I have detailed diagrams on the front two hood bows that are unavailable and I've been able to remake them, and thanks to Craig Robey and a fellow club member, I'm getting close to remaking those hood latches.

I'm happy to start the ball rolling on the Parts Wanted section soon, and good luck to whoever purchases the convertible - if most of the parts are there and the bodyshell is well prepared and painted (I'd want to see progress photos of the bare shell, panels, etc.), then it really would be a good buy for an enthusiast who is willing to roll up their sleeves and get to work themselves on the car.

Cheers,
Dino Fritz
Adelaide, South Australia

'74 Interceptor Saloon (9480)
'74 Interceptor Convertible (9501)
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi all

Some very valid points here on restoring a Convertible or any Interceptor

When i undertook the restoration of my car, i used the Parts Schedule to list all the parts and to then list the progress that i was making with each part
It proved invaluable to record where parts were and what state they were in and if finished and ready to be installed
Sending chrome parts away, items for powder coating, engine rebuild etc helped to monitor where parts were

I have recently shared a blank of this document with a JOC Member who is undertaking a full restoration and it will be interesting to see what help it is

The parts schedule does not list all of the small parts including screws, cups etc and i always thought that extending the list that i produced could be invaluable in the future and possibly be extended to each model with similar items identified and also record where alternative parts are comparable

I am very happy to share my parts spreadsheet with anyone undertaking a restoration - it is a simple Excel document so allows progress to be recorded - and costs incurred!!!
The spreadsheet extends to circa 3,700 lines

Regards

Jim Smith
JOC Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
RockyUSA

Post by RockyUSA »

“The spreadsheet extends to circa 3,700 lines”

Dang, Jim - you are going to scare off anyone considering doing a convertible restoration!

😎

I’m just kidding…. It would be a huge help, and I know how thorough you are!

Rocky
‘71 TVR Vixen 2500 - (M Series Tribute)
'72 Interceptor III - 133/5597
'73 DeTomaso Pantera
'74 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40
'95 Jaguar XJS Convertible

Return to “Cars For Sale”