Electric vehicles (split from Quentin Willson's hot tips)

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Pymmie

Re: Electric vehicles (split from Quentin Willson's hot tips)

Post by Pymmie »

Mojo

Without 100% tax write off & 0% Benefit in kind , I think sales would struggle even more.

How many would have bought/leased without the incentives?

I believe Road Fund Licensing comes in for EV’s in 2025

John P

mojo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:50 pm
Pymmie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:01 pm Is this the end of EV’s already ?
We've just passed a total of one million battery-only electric vehicles on the road in the UK. On average each one of those will be with us for at least 10 years, so rumours of "the end of EVs" don't really make much sense.

If you want objective reporting on any subject (EVs or anything else) then the one place you should not be looking is YouTube. Harry's or Clarkson's or whatever channel - all they want are clicks/subscriptions because that's what brings in the money. And the best way to get clicks is just to tell people what they want to hear, and to confirm to them what they think they already know.
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
mojo

Post by mojo »

Pymmie wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:45 am How many would have bought/leased without the incentives?

I believe Road Fund Licensing comes in for EV’s in 2025
I can only speak from personal experience - I bought one last year, secondhand, cash purchase. No lease or incentives involved - so some people do!

Yes, VED goes above zero rate next year (or that is the current plan). I don't have any argument with that - I use the roads, so I should pay.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

As a car fan, I've always tried to convey that the enthusiasm I have for driving an EV is based on exactly that - driving.
No govt of any colour can forgo the revenue that the motorist provides, so any cost savings will be temporary.
johnw

Post by johnw »

mojo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:35 pm Yes, VED goes above zero rate next year (or that is the current plan). I don't have any argument with that - I use the roads, so I should pay.
Well historic vehicles and post 2001 diesel VW Lupo 3Ls and a handful of other high efficiency low emission vehicles now 15 years plus old remain VED exempt. Quite rightly in my view. A light vehicle with no frills, low carbon impact to make, small tyres that last ages, 90+mpg, shame they are not produced any more.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
mojo

Post by mojo »

johnw wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:41 pm Well historic vehicles and post 2001 diesel VW Lupo 3Ls and a handful of other high efficiency low emission vehicles now 15 years plus old remain VED exempt. Quite rightly in my view. A light vehicle with no frills, low carbon impact to make, small tyres that last ages, 90+mpg, shame they are not produced any more.
Pre-2017 EVs will also continue to be VED exempt under current plans.
mojo

Post by mojo »

Richie wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm As a car fan, I've always tried to convey that the enthusiasm I have for driving an EV is based on exactly that - driving.
No govt of any colour can forgo the revenue that the motorist provides, so any cost savings will be temporary.
And what you said here influenced my thinking about EVs and what the experience would be like. Purely based on the driving experience alone, I don't regret the move at all (though I do also still have a nice smoky old diesel van for when I need to carry bigger loads long distances!).
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

All this Carbon Neutral, EVs, 15 minutes Cities, Cashless Society,,
It all about control.
If climate change was real because of CO2 gasses, then why are the politicians not encouraging people and councils to plant trees instead of cutting them down
A tree absorbs approximately 25kg of CO2 per year It's based on the estimate that a cubic metre of wood absorbs just under a ton of CO2. But really a tree absorbs anywhere between 10 and 40kg of CO2 per year on average, Trees help to combat global warming by absorbing carbon dioxide, removing and storing carbon while releasing oxygen back into the air. They also reduce wind speeds and cool the air as they lose moisture and reflect heat upwards from their leaves.

This may be a simple solution, but in the past it's best about the amount of the rain forest being cut down, over the years we have all seen trees get cut down to build houses, shopping centres and such but how many do you see get replaced.( Not as many that's cut down )

This maybe a 'Rose coloured glasses' statement but it would make sentence . The world can't be Carbon Neutral.

So remember, control
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

... Tree planting is being encouraged Colin.

Perhaps, as something of a climate change / reality denier, you have a tad too much rose tint in your glasses, as it appears you not seen the news and the recent protests of farmers who, in order to continue to receive govt subsidies, must give 10% of their land to tree planting.

If it's about "control", have you ever wondered that perhaps those that seek to deny climate change, perhaps oil companies for example, do so in order to maintain their current, and very significant, control over the global economy?

Just a thought...
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

mojo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:35 pm
I can only speak from personal experience - I bought one last year, secondhand, cash purchase. No lease or incentives involved - so some people do!

Yes, VED goes above zero rate next year (or that is the current plan). I don't have any argument with that - I use the roads, so I should pay.
Mojo .

I’d be interested in how old the car is and did you check on the batteries health & depreciation value ? (What car is it?)

Was it bought to enter a ULEZ area.

My real problem with EV’s is firstly where our electric comes from
and secondly it’s like buying a petrol/diesel car where after every journey the fuel tank shrinks a little !

As an electrician of 40 years I’ve already noticed I’m fitting less EV sockets than I was last year ..

John P

Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Whilst we should indeed care about how our electricity is generated and where it comes from, should we not also care about the source of the petrol, diesel and other fossil fuels upon which we so depend?

Our reliance on it puts us at the mercy of other nations and regimes to supply it to us, many of which often have horrific human rights records.

Just look at what has happened since Putin weaponised such resources.

Do those who control such resources by extension not then control everyone?
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Richie , have a look at this site :

Link :http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It’s a live link to what we ACTUALLY use to generate power.

I’ve seen Gas Turbines (CCGT) at over 58% & coal over 3%

It’s very rare we have plenty of wind & sun on the same day..

John P
Attachments
Sunday 9am
Sunday 9am
IMG_3799.jpeg (80.33 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Sunday 9am
Sunday 9am
IMG_3798.jpeg (249.77 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I quite agree.
And your post perfectly illustrates why things have to change and our reliance on fossil fuels needs to reduce, for our economic security and political benefit if nothing else.

Recent global events have shown just how very vulnerable we currently are.

If we want increased control, increased security, increased stability, we need to decrease our reliance on fossil fuels and those who supply them.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Richie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:22 am ... Tree planting is being encouraged Colin.

Perhaps, as something of a climate change / reality denier, you have a tad too much rose tint in your glasses, as it appears you not seen the news and the recent protests of farmers who, in order to continue to receive govt subsidies, must give 10% of their land to tree planting.

If it's about "control", have you ever wondered that perhaps those that seek to deny climate change, perhaps oil companies for example, do so in order to maintain their current, and very significant, control over the global economy?

Just a thought...
Why is it Richie because I do not subscribe to the same believes as you then I'm a denier, ?
And their is not too much tint in my glasses, I don't subscribe BBC, Sky News or ITV propaganda reports

Have you seen this https://youtu.be/Zk11vI-7czE?si=34sXVwF1s-cOESko

And you have said Richie in the past that your EV is a company car yet you still run a car that runs on fossil fuel.
So my question, if I may ask, if you EV was not a company car, or you hadn't driven one would have brought one ?
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

At i said in my post above, I've always based my enthusiasm for the EV on its driving merits Colin.
That post must've been something else that you missed whilst only choosing to see things that fit your narrative.
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Richie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:49 am At i said in my post above, I've always based my enthusiasm for the EV on its driving merits Colin. Any cost benefits are temporary.
But that didn't answer the question.
Attachments
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG (37.38 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Return to “General Discussion”