INt SP on Collecting Cars auction site

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Grant

Re: INt SP on Collecting Cars auction site

Post by Grant »

Peter Rothery wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:04 pm Cropredy used replacement panels from Boes of Nottingham back in the day and some of these were dreadful in terms of fit and finish.
That's interesting to know Peter, How did you know they came from Boes then?..I guess they must have had to make big presses do you think?
I have a Cropredy Wing or "Boes" as you say on my early Mk2..Horrible bloody thing, You can shape them up Ok with beating them & then some filler and make them look right, but even the swage line on the top of the flat of the wing beside the bonnet is not as Pronounced as the originals and they swoop a little more round at the front beside the headlight, they also don't flare out as much above the wheel, so all in all Flaming Useless :lol: ..I didn't fit it, twas there from an accident years before I bought it.
I made a template of the other side and Paul & Yanked it out and with a little Baseball Bat treatment it was nearly there! :P With a little luck Boes went out of business for poor quality pattern part panelsImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

We are getting close to the point where 3D scans of cars can be done at home. We are not there yet but close. I would like to collect scans of cars, and archive them by chassis number. You can then scan your car and see which panels are from what phase of production, or what supplier, or simply where they are bodged. At the moment cheap scanners are getting close, so you could compare primered body if you put sticky dots on it at the moment.. Cloudcompare would then highlight in colours, say green spot on, through blue to red, way off. You could then give the panel a tug, rescan, and compare. Ideally one day you could look through 3D glasses with a virtual reality panel overlayed on top of yours, and give it a tug until it hoes green!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

johnw wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:46 pm We are getting close to the point where 3D scans of cars can be done at home. We are not there yet but close. I would like to collect scans of cars, and archive them by chassis number. You can then scan your car and see which panels are from what phase of production, or what supplier, or simply where they are bodged. At the moment cheap scanners are getting close, so you could compare primered body if you put sticky dots on it at the moment.. Cloudcompare would then highlight in colours, say green spot on, through blue to red, way off. You could then give the panel a tug, rescan, and compare. Ideally one day you could look through 3D glasses with a virtual reality panel overlayed on top of yours, and give it a tug until it hoes green!
That red wine is kicking in again JW!!! I think the plan might be shot down by the amount of lead and filler involved in the final shaping and blending?
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

"give it a tug until it hoes green!" :D
adamleamy

Post by adamleamy »

Looking at this lovely car and seeing all the work that Dave has done on it -- and knowing through many here the fine work that he always does -- and I'm struck by this: The number of times I've been stuck on an issue due to my inexperience or lack of skills, or general uncertainty about how to proceed, and have written in and Dave has actually taken time away from this kind of demanding work to weigh in with his kind counsel to help me find the way forward.

It's remarkable, and humbling.

I know everyone here is busy in their way, and I always, always, appreciate all help offered. What a privilege it is to benefit from the time Dave takes away from this work to assist me -- and any who write in so I can learn from his experience through their challenges and his support to them.

Thank you, Dave.

Sincerely,

Adam
Adam J. Leamy
Victoria, BC
Canada
1975 Interceptor Convertible
2311-1635
johnw

Post by johnw »

Peter Rothery wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:21 pm "give it a tug until it hoes green!" :D
You can adjust the thickness of the green band and zoom in on a particular part of the body. Not my picture. All the comparison and shading tools are tried and tested over the last decade or more and are available and work. These have been used in the restoration industry on hand formed panels of historic low volume vehicles, with more variation that pressed factory panels one would hope!

The problem is the poor quality of the consumer grade scanners. I have a nigh resolution one, but it didn't do too well scanning tiny watch parts on my first attempts. With something like a car wing I think it would need a textured finish, perhaps sanded and a few spots stuck on to help it line up the snapshots it takes with a strobe light. It definitely needs practise and technique to use a scanner effectively.
Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 21.55.48.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 21.55.48.png (70.65 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Adding to Adam's points, it's a labour of love, the cars actually getting the quality of work they deserve and need is most important. Not too much work, nor to little. It would be nice if we didn't have to think about money and relsale.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom

Return to “Cars For Sale”