FF275 FJJ 9J coming soon (again) to Collecting Cars auction

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

FF275 FJJ 9J coming soon (again) to Collecting Cars auction

Post by Peter Rothery »

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1971-jensen-ff-1
FJJ 9J.jpg
FJJ 9J.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 668 times
zacmarshall

Re: FF275 FJJ 9J coming soon (again) to Collecting Cars auction

Post by zacmarshall »

My old FF below is currently at 49k with an hour to go, and the reserve has been removed.

If anyone wants to get an absolute bargain then this is more than worth bidding on. I sold it for over twice the current bid

If I still had any money I would bid on it myself.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Zac,

It’s says HPI clear? Didn’t it have a CAT attached to it?

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

£49,250 SOLD. A sign of the times perhaps when a good FF cannot make more than £50k and good Interceptors are now selling at nearer £35k?
johnw

Post by johnw »

I think 3 factors combined to make the perfect storm: 1) The economic climate. 2) The market has finally switched to preferring MK1 FFs to the MK2, Keith Andrew's MK2 being another poor performer. 3) Auction fatigue. This car, has been offered so many times with varying reserves "almost met", etc, many interested parties have said they would have bid if... I am not convinced it has actually sold. I'm waiting for some "Technical issue" to be announced by the auctioneer! Very well bought if someone has actually bought it for that!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

A couple of minor observations.

What struck me from an owner’s perspective is the importance of spending time (or money if you are unable to do the work yourself) presenting the car well - especially when faced with a photographer with a high resolution camera.

Some small elements of detail detracted from the car and suggested (wrongly in my opinion) that the car was a little care worn.

However, what struck me more was, as a seller, you are paying good money to sell your car. So, you want some say over the pictures used. Or at least a conversation before hand or on the day of the shoot. A difficult one, as damage cannot and shouldn’t be ignored - but on the other hand some of those photos smacked of shots which appealed more to a photographers eye than someone tasked with helping the owner and selling organisation sell the car by capturing its overall condition. Example: there was a close up of the A post. It was of course solid - but could have been ascertained from a broader shot of the open door - with the viewer zooming in if necessary given the high resolution picture. If the photographers response was ‘sorry guv, my boss says I’ve got to take a picture of this’ - then you should be allowed as the owner to wipe down, fettle, reinstate the screws to centre arm rest etc where practicable. You might frustrate the photographer somewhat, but you are paying him for his services directly or indirectly - so it’s worth a try.

As for the suggestion the car may have had an insurance categorisation. From my perspective, while it would concern me enough to ascertain details of the restoration (and ideally details of the historic damage), if the car was properly restored (no issues when you know Colin Holley has worked his magic on it), then, personally, a comprehensive restoration and subsequent MOTs would likely supersede any CAT marker.

I hope I’m never forced to auction my cars off with No Reserve through circumstance or questionable sale room tactics.
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Mark1Stu is right of course. We all know and like the car but the ad conveys a few dodgy messages that probably put potential buyers on their guard. The restoration was 19 years ago, the tyres are now 12 years old. Mention of service work in 2018 and 2019 (4-5 years ago) isn't exactly instilling much confidence either. You probably wouldn't buy a modern car with that sort of record. Only a pedant like me would have to mention one of the side repeater lights being on upside down (the "lens holding screw to front or back" debate well know to lotus elan owners!).

If it really has sold, let's hope the new owner enjoys it to the max.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Good points Stu/Peter. Can anyone confirm if it did have a Cat marker? Has it still got one and C&C aren't checking? Also was this seller the guy who bought it off Zac or did it actually change hands in one of the many recent auctions?
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

John W,

DVLA says last V5 change was 6 years ago.

Also it’s only done 320 miles in 5 years.

All info from free DVLA database

John P
Attachments
IMG_2410.jpeg
IMG_2410.jpeg (87.92 KiB) Viewed 363 times
IMG_2409.jpeg
IMG_2409.jpeg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
DPP

Post by DPP »

Jensens at auction can sometimes attract few bids, so to put a known good FF on at no reserve is a very bold move especially with the market place not good at the moment.

Good know cars usually sell well but for a car to keep going to auctions unsold then buyers may think there is something wrong with it. We will probably see it for sale with a dealer for twice its sold price before long.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430

Return to “Cars For Sale”