what joint sealer?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Dion

what joint sealer?

Post by Dion »

20230508_100036.jpg
20230508_100036.jpg (115.78 KiB) Viewed 260 times
For the last three decades I have used a big tin of gasket/jointing compound which I bought at an army surplus store.
There is a label on it but its is not readable anymore and I cannot remember the make. Its screw-on metal top lid has a brush fitted to the underside, very useful.
Now I do not think I have enough left to use to the timing cover of a TR engine.
So I am looking to replace the tin with something new. For years I have been reading about Hylomar Blue - as recommended by Rootes for their aluminium Imp engine flanges. There is Loctite with a "5926 Silicone Blue" tube. There are many more brands available, some cheap, some expensive. It is a minefield, I do not want to try just something only to find out it does not work well.
What are the advantages / disadvantages of using a silicone type of sealer?

Any recommendations (preferably by years of using it)?
It is probably too much to ask something similar I had, sealer in a tin with a brush.
Should I visit an army surplus store again?
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
kees

Re: what joint sealer?

Post by kees »

The tin is probably "Perfect Seal". I had a tin of it that I have used since 1977. Perfect stuf, however the tin corroded away and started to leak so I had to throw it away last year. I would certainly use it again in the future.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Joe Schiavone

Re: what joint sealer?

Post by Joe Schiavone »

3 m sells it also under the name seam sealer. If you open your door you will see it applied to all welded seams. Heaver welded areas like inner body panels use a brushable type. All welded areas should be seam sealed. If not then rust will creep out

Return to “General Discussion”