restoring with an LS3 engine

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
johnw

Re: restoring with an LS3 engine

Post by johnw »

The one I tried sounded remarkably like an Interceptor, it used the original interceptor exhaust and iron manifolds. Other than that the drive is as you describe. This was a 3.5, so less than half the size of the 440. Some Range Rovers of that era also came with a Torque flite.

It is interesting that the stock 1970s SP Mopar V8 is almost as efficient as a more modern engine half the size. The small centre carb and high compression of the SP increases efficiency with higher air speed. Steve your roller lifters reduce frictional losses as you reported, as would modern thin ringed pistons reduce it further. Deburring oil ways and a good windage system may help further still, and a fully mapped ignition would help off cruise efficiency. Friction loss is proportional to RPM and 2000 RPM cruising is going to minimise that. Weight is not relevant while cruising although common mods of alloy heads and manifolds/water pump housings save a lot. A bare 440 block is surprisingly light. Large bores weigh nothing. Given that most rebuilds fit new pistons and cam, and that getting 2 venturis misting perfectly is easier than 8 injectors, I would suggest that any gains the more modern engine has are lost to the modern engine design's focus with air quality over MPG. That is why I view these engine swaps, including the Rover V8 as a downgrade, not just spoiling the authentic experience. A Rover V8 is a lot better than no engine, which was how I read the original topic!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Grant

Post by Grant »

I don't think a good swap of engines for an Interceptor is an Rover V8 John!Image..It's a bit like wearing Tesco Tearaway Plastic Trainers that appear to look like Leather but are Plastic and will split on you on a Frosty Morning!!Image Are you a Plastic Shoe Lover John?Image...Did you know that PVC stands for "Plastic Very Cheap"Image
Why not use a Small Block 360Ci Mopar? They are Plenty-full, Cheap as Chips, cheap to rebuild (unlike a Rover V8 that is fortunes to build) & will fit straight onto the original mountings, you can even bolt a Torque-Flight Small Block Box onto them and stroke them to around 400Ci which will go like a scolded Cat leaving 2 Big Black Tyre marks up the roadImage and enough Tyre Smoke to make Greta Thunberg pull the rest of her hair outImage
I spoke to My Ole Fruit Bat Dave Gilliver this week as per my normal working dayImage..He put together a 360Ci Small Block Mopar recently (as he loves the small blocks) ..he put a stroker in it and it was pushing out 590HP..Always look forward and never backwards!Image..How about one of them with 3 on the Floor and a Stick!!Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

Grant wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:11 pm I don't think a good swap of engines for an Interceptor is an Rover V8 John!Image..It's a bit like wearing Tesco Tearaway Plastic Trainers that appear to look like Leather but are Plastic and will split on you on a Frosty Morning!!Image Are you a Plastic Shoe Lover John?Image...Did you know that PVC stands for "Plastic Very Cheap"Image
Vinyl Chloride is a banned substance. No chance of getting it these days. I get my trainers from Asda Millwall, on the Isle of Dogs. Real leather, steel toe caps, 25 quid. Perfect to wear when swapping in a 383!

Needs must when the devil drives. When you are swapping out a Mopar Big Block, it's not about getting a better car at the end. What would you tell a bloke with a dipped hemi charger to use for an engine swap?
Grant wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:11 pm I spoke to My Ole Fruit Bat Dave Gilliver this week as per my normal working dayImage..
It would be great to see Dave and his fantastic engine Workshop. We could go up there for a couple of weeks as two apprentices. It's one of those things if we went there at 16 we wouldn't appreciate what we were bring exposed to.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom

Return to “General Discussion”