Future Path for ICE Vehicles…

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
AH1951

Re: Future Path for ICE Vehicles…

Post by AH1951 »

This guy is a little unhappy with his electric car.
He does rabbit on.
I watched at 2x normal playback speed so it only took 17 minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DKHtNqO2knc
Dion

Post by Dion »

JCB has developed a hydrogen engine to replace their diesel engine in their heavy vehicles. Sounds promising, especially for trucks and such.
Amazed and impressed this company did and does produce their own engines :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6_qAta3Gk8
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Some excerpts from a CNN article
0C3DA356-FCC2-4E6D-ADFA-8ED50B2988D0.jpeg
0C3DA356-FCC2-4E6D-ADFA-8ED50B2988D0.jpeg (125.54 KiB) Viewed 337 times
3D14EB41-97B0-4AAF-A689-32724C50A1C1.jpeg
3D14EB41-97B0-4AAF-A689-32724C50A1C1.jpeg (131.38 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

One has to ask, what would happen to all the ICE if they are not used. Because of the oil in them can the metal be melted down and reused?
If they were how would this be done, furnesses need a lot of heat, which in turn would make CO2, I'm guessing here, so would that make problems ?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

colin7673 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:05 am One has to ask, what would happen to all the ICE if they are not used. Because of the oil in them can the metal be melted down and reused?
If they were how would this be done, furnesses need a lot of heat, which in turn would make CO2, I'm guessing here, so would that make problems ?
I'm assuming that the energy required for the furnace is part of the grey energy of the next car/product.

A car has approx 50'000 kWhr (just a quick search, someone correct me if I'm wrong) in grey energy. 1l gasoline generates 9 kWhr. So the gray energy in a car would be equivalent to approx 5'500l of gasoline? All very hypothetical :D
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Unless they can come up with a way of extending the range and recharge time the way we use cars is going to change. At the moment we can travel big distances over a relatively short period, potentially this is going to stop. Maybe longer distances will be on public transport and we hire an electric vehicle when we arrive?
Personally I think ICE Vehicles will be repaired for as long as practically possible and as long as Petrol and Diesel are freely available.
ULEZ zones will make using ICE cars less practical but even a daily charge unless you live in one of these zones is probably cheaper than buying an electric vehicle.
The interesting part is commercial vehicles have a longer period before they have to become electric. Maybe the government realises that electric is not truly practical and they don't want the country grinding to a halt?
Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

In my opinion, it won't be too far into the future when all cars are charged (financially, not to replenish their batteries) to be used. Governments need revenue so pay per mile will be here relatively soon. Congestion charging for cities will remain because otherwise their streets will simply become permanently gridlocked.
But, just as EV charging infastructure needs to improve, so too does public transport.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

More from the article.
E9EDBFA6-E8DE-4E61-A2C1-E391D914E35D.jpeg
E9EDBFA6-E8DE-4E61-A2C1-E391D914E35D.jpeg (140.05 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

I really don't think that electric cars are the saviour here, they my be great for round town driving but the distance is the problem, for over 100 years now "man" has had the ability to travel great distances, at home or abroad and this has been done in relative ease in the last 70/80 years.
If governments want things to change for "climate" reasons they really need to work with up and coming countries, China, India and alike, because their poor population do not give a monkeys about the climate, they want to be wealthier and gain a better life.
I don't see our government telling "farmers" they are going to cut the Greenhouse heating tax too encourage more home grown produce as this country use too.
They are not changing the HGV Driving laws or bringing in new laws to make sure the Industry is better run, delivery and loading points should have a turnaround time of an hour maximum, changing driving test to make it harder to get a license, ( when I passed my driving test you was allowed 10 minor faults. Today it's 15 minor faults before a fail )
If governments want people to buy into the climate change argument then they have to be far more realistic.
Like synthetic fuels, more nuclear power stations, and as Richie said far better and cheaper public transportation
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

One point the article is trying to make is that if ICEs are not banned, nothing will happen. We could easily build spartan ICE cars that last 30 years and consume very little, but sadly that's not really in the interest of the economy. Plus, everyone (here) wants to drive a 2.5t race car to work.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Maybe one of our continental readers can clarify but was it Mercedes who, in a recent(ish) advert there featured a car driving not, as we might expect, along a sweeping empty country road, but to a train station where its owner took a train to complete their journey?

Irrespective of what powers cars, increased use of public transport is key to our ability to continue enjoying them. But it's a long time since I elected to catch a bus...
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I recently had to use a bus to get to Oxford, its about 15 miles and it was £2.
The journey took 45 mins so about twice as long as using the car with similar traffic conditions and I had a lift to the bus stop to save me a 25 min walk to the bus stop. I did not have to pay £5 an hour to park the car and it allowed me to have a beer.
The down side was I was in front of some one who was coughing continuously and he did not put his hand over his mouth, the seat was OK for 45 mins but any longer and I would have found it uncomfortable. I had to wait 25 mins to catch it and approx similar time for the return.
Would I choose to use the bus? Nope.
There is no easy answer to the problem and we have got used to having personal transport,
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

If you live in a city, which mode of transportation you choose (car, public transport, bicycle) depends on traffic situation, distance, parking, weather, alcohol, topography, if you have to transport stuff. It's more or less a pragmatic decision... By car is usually a pain because of congestion and parking, public transport is slow within the inner city. And by car, I don't necessarily mean a personal car- it could be a taxi or from car-sharing company. Biking is usually the quickest option, unless you're going somewhere with the kids :D Although it's better now that they're a bit older. Plus biking is usually relatively stress free. It would be crazy to do your daily commute within a city in a car, hugely time consuming and very expensive (parking). A lot of people use E-bikes to commute. Anything more than 10kms, weather permitting, is of course done if possible in the C-V8 :D

PS I haven't seen the Mercedes spot
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I guess what I'm saying is that we're all hypocritical... we all complain about traffic jams whilst we're sat in our cars and are therefore contributing to the cause of the traffic jam.
But equally, I wouldn't dream of driving to or around London because the public transport there offers a viable - often superior - alternative to the car.
The future, i suspect, for the benefit of both private and public transport is a blend of both.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I suppose the answer is to have good roads to all major towns with huge park and rides with a constant stream of trams or buses to the centre. Also all towns should have a good ring road or bypass so vehicles have no need to enter. The only vehicles aloud to enter towns would be resisdents and delivery vehicles.
What ever they decide to do Fossil fuels are not going to last forever, if we keep burning them at the present rate they will depleted by the end of this century if not before.
Synthetic fuel have to be the answer, technically they are carbon neutral if Sunlight is used to produce the Hydrogen and are energy dense so we can keep the mobility we have become used too.
Steve

Return to “General Discussion”