Le Mans Classic 2023

Post advance news of events you will be attending
zacmarshall

Le Mans Classic 2023

Post by zacmarshall »

I have just sent an email to those that expressed an interest in Le Mans Classic, if I missed you please email me at zac@383web.uk

Le Mans classic is on again in 2023, it is the 100th Anniversary of the Le Mans circuit so it should be a very special event.

It would be good to get everyone in the campsite and stand without lots of stress for me, so could you please confirm asap if you want to attend. I will be placing the order on Tuesday 15th November, any orders received after that may not / probably won’t be in the same campsite and stand.

The plan is to travel out on the 08:15 Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to Caen on Thursday 29th June, then stay at the Campanile Alencon that night.

We then travel to Le Mans on the Friday morning at set up camp at Epinettes (where those of us that went last time camped).

We will have tickets for the event including the Panorama stand for those that want it.

I think most people will then head on to the Loire Valley for the 3 day event organised by Chris Reed and Shaun Winfield, otherwise people can make their own way back on the Sunday.

Hotels in the Le Mans area for the weekend are extremely expensive, for those that don’t want to camp it may be worth staying at the Campanile at Alencon where we stay the Friday night, otherwise there seem to be more reasonably priced hotels south of Le Mans near Tours. Alencon is 70km 52 minutes to Le Mans although you will need to drive through Le Mans to get there (Chris Reed found a nice scenic way avoiding the centre). There is a hotel near Semblançay, north of Tours (South of Le Mans), which is 71 km, 57 mins
https://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel/lo ... amard-1836 Booking.com currently shows as £215

To see the official accommodation page:
https://www.lemansclassic.com/en/inform ... modation/

You could also stay at the hotel used for the Loire stay but that is around and hour and a half away.

The ferry out costs £193.50 for a standard ticket (50% deposit required)

Thursday night we stay at the Campanile Alencon, rooms are €115, plus €1 tax per person, breakfast €11.90 per person, dinner (Thursday night group meal only) €22 per person (dinner may go up slightly)
If you want to stay at the Campanile the Friday and Saturday rather than camping then the room rate would be the same

Camping at Epinettes is €120 (the cost of camping the Thursday night is included so you could skip Alencon if you want, I prefer to have a good nights sleep in a proper bed)

Tickets for Le Mans Classic:
general admission only €64
general admission plus paddocks €90
general admission, paddocks plus Panorama or Goodyear (ex Dunlop) €150 / children aged 8 to 15 €60 euros

This entitles you to park your Jensen in the Jensen only parking area in the circuit village.
As always friends welcome, you don’t have to be a Jensen owner or bring your Jensen

Optional extras:
Track lap Friday or Saturday morning €210
Picnic basket for 2 €90 euros
Helicopter flight €150 euros

As an indication the last night of the Loire tour is Wednesday 5th July, so the ferry back Thursday 6th 08:30 would cost £159

The total cost including the ferry back should be around £890 for two people sharing a car, room and tent

I am waiting to hear back from the organisers as to what deposit they need for the tickets or whether it is payment in full, the maximum deposit will be £430 may be less.

Please can you let me know if you are interested in joining us, and if so your requirements and I will get back to you with the cost.

If anyone wants to speak to me about this please email me at zac@383web.uk or I will be at the NEC show all three days.

Regards

Zac Marshall
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
zacmarshall

Re: Le Mans Classic 2023

Post by zacmarshall »

I have now heard back from Brittany Ferries and confirmed the outbound ferry cost (193.50 for a standard ticket). Post below has been updated.

For those thinking of staying in a hotel don't forget that being on site camping makes it a lot easier to watch the night racing (especially if the person you are sharing with snores :-) )
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Please note that you don't have to be in your Jensen to attend and are more than welcome to bring friends in different cars.

The parking we have in the village is for Jensen only, non Jensens will need to be left on the campsite or parked in the car park (probably not any nearer than the campsite).

Parking is available outside the circuit for €50 for the whole event.
JOC Member No. 5061
WIL

Post by WIL »

Hi Zac,

Thanks for all your work re details for Le Mans.

I look forward to attending this special event, with my Brother, in my JI 111, (this will give us a target to finish the current restoration project with the car?!)

I will send you details of my choices soon so you can kindly let me know the total cost,

look forward to seeing you at NEC also,

cheers,

Wil
Jensen Interceptor 111
1970 E-type Jaguar S11 2+2
Ford Cougar
Maserati Granturismo
1975 Alfa Romeo GT 1.8 (resto project.. one day!)
Morris Highwayman 1962
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

I have now confirmed the costs for the Campanile Alencon on the Thursday night
The price per room will be 115€ per night
And €11.90 for breakfast per person per day.
Currently, the tourist tax is 1€ per person and per night.

The same rate applies if you want to stay the Friday and Saturday night rather than camp.

Details have been updated in the earliest post in the topic.

Please book through the club rather than direct to get those rates.
JOC Member No. 5061
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Hi Zac,
Are you still looking for a passenger for Le Mans? I never got back to you at Brooklands. I have provisionally cleared it with my Steering Committee, who has confirmed she has nothing clashing on that date.

Stephen
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

VFK44 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:24 pm Hi Zac,
Are you still looking for a passenger for Le Mans? I never got back to you at Brooklands. I have provisionally cleared it with my Steering Committee, who has confirmed she has nothing clashing on that date.

Stephen
Welcome aboard Stephen :-)
JOC Member No. 5061
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Given that the reason we were invited is that a 541R was entered in 1959, it would be good to get a 541R travelling with us :-)
JOC Member No. 5061
johnw

Post by johnw »

zacmarshall wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:38 pm Given that the reason we were invited is that a 541R was entered in 1959, it would be good to get a 541R travelling with us :-)
Perhaps someone with a 541R should at least book, even if they don't make it to the track.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

The 541R entered in 1959 did not race due to the death of its talented driver Leslie Johnson at the beginning of June 1959. His final illness developed very suddenly, leaving Jensen without a driver.

The car lives on, famous for its later July 1959 exploits in the London-Paris air race.

Maybe the Bristows could one day be persuaded to bring this genuine Le Mans entrant to the circuit?
20150202-07-54-28-PAA8.jpg
20150202-07-54-28-PAA8.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 842 times
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

If anyone was thinking of attending and would like to join us then please contact me asap.
JOC Member No. 5061
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Just had a cancellation, I need to pay final payment to Le Mans organisers on Monday (all other paid).

Cost likely to be £550 for two people sharing including hotel on Thursday night, camping Friday and Saturday and entry including paddocks and grandstand

** I have now cancelled this booking **
JOC Member No. 5061
Mr.Mini

Post by Mr.Mini »

Any updates in regard to the tickets for the people who will attend and have paid ?
Are they being sent by post ?

Regs Harald
Interceptor MkII - 123-3703
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Michel Grosfillier from our club will be there racing his Allard J2. He's had his Interceptor for the past 20 years or so. He'll be very happy if you go say hello
44_1.jpg
44_1.jpg (281.95 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Tickets have just arrived, I have sent an email asking for the address of those that want them posted.

I think last year they arrived with me less than a week before the event...
Mr.Mini wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:09 pm Any updates in regard to the tickets for the people who will attend and have paid ?
Are they being sent by post ?

Regs Harald
JOC Member No. 5061

Return to “Events”