1974 Interceptor Convertible Restoration Project

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Julian

Re: 1974 Interceptor Convertible Restoration Project

Post by Julian »

Peters probably given you what you need.
I can’t wait to get home and see if my (rebuilt by JC co) car has the little leather strip !
Fascinating stuff :)
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
Grant

Post by Grant »

Julian wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:58 pm Peters probably given you what you need.
I can’t wait to get home and see if my (rebuilt by JC co) car has the little leather strip !
Fascinating stuff :)
Mine has it Julian/Peter :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Interesting. I was just pondering whether it was a Jensen "fix" to stop the hood frame mechanism rubbing against the metalwork of the wing on some cars which may have run out of clearance. As you can see from Dino's picture, it can be very close.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Peter Rothery wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:57 pm Interesting. I was just pondering whether it was a Jensen "fix" to stop the hood frame mechanism rubbing against the metalwork of the wing on some cars which may have run out of clearance. As you can see from Dino's picture, it can be very close.
Hmm, I maybe getting muddled up then with another piece of little leather trimmed part in that compartment Peter I remember seeing a piece of leather trim in that area and thought to myself you wouldn't even see that, but it may be a little triangle piece I'm thinking of in the area inside, It maybe a little piece of triangle metal with leather on and stitching I remember..I'll check it out tomorrow and come back with a pic :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

I guess you refer to item 27 below?
conv trim.jpg
conv trim.jpg (169.44 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Correct Peter yes, which is why I worded it like I did as I knew you would know from my description what the hell I had seen :lol: .. We must get out alittle more PetrMan! :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Just for the record, this is what we were referring to for all those who haven't yet acquired the taste for the Int convertible. Let's hope, Dion, you have a pair of these in your collection!!
trim3.jpg
trim3.jpg (128.76 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Peter Rothery wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:52 am Just for the record, this is what we were referring to for all those who haven't yet acquired the taste for the Int convertible. Let's hope, Dion, you have a pair of these in your collection!!
"Proper Bit-a-Kit"..Now the Interceptor owners can see what they're missing out on!!Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

No Mine hasn't got the little leather strip that goes behind the trim guys, unless of course I took it off when I was stripping the car, but I don't remember doing that and I think I would have remembered because I'm a little freak like that :lol:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Hi everyone,

I suspected that MR had these stainless trim pieces for sale, but I didn't see a diagram for them, so thank you for confirming the part numbers.

The small leather piece / strip is interesting, and I suspected that there was a tiny bit of clearance that would have held down some trim work. What it was though, I had no idea.

And I have ONE small triangular piece (part number 27), so I suspect that I will make a mirror image for the other side (at least I have one to make a pattern out of). Clever little piece this one - as the rear quarterlight windows are raised, part #27 closes off the motor mechanism under the quarterlight window.

Come to think of it - I wonder whether the purpose of the small leather is to seal up against this triangular piece when the quarterlight is closed?

Thank you all for your help!

Regards,
Dino
Jensens.........when does it ever end!
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Come to think of it - I wonder whether the purpose of the small leather is to seal up against this triangular piece when the quarterlight is closed?

No, the triangular bit sits on the inside of the rear quarterlight whereas the other leather/stainless trim sits between the wing and hood frame (screw heads circled on this resto project...no leather trim on this one by the look of it!)
Let's not even mention for now the carpet that sits on the top of the wheelarch towards the rear shelf...
Attachments
trim 4.JPG
trim 4.JPG (291.74 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Grant

Post by Grant »

Peter Rothery wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:40 pm Let's not even mention for now the carpet that sits on the top of the wheelarch towards the rear shelf...
Well I'm gonna anyway...My Original Wilton Carpet (that Must Not Be Mentioned) is still in tacked!!Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Peter, Grant and Julian,

Thanks so much guys, keep the great information coming (it seems that there are so many little details on the convertible that just aren't documented anywhere).

Much appreciated,
Dino
Julian

Post by Julian »

Picture from the outside showing how the trim fits below the roof plus a couple of picks from the inside.
On one of the pics you can see the bracket - or at least a couple of the bolts that hold it on. on the other you might be able to make out the little bit of leather trim ... (thrill of the day to find out my car has it :))
and a "crummy picture sorry .. of the carpeted back shelf that runs around the back of the car. Sound from the speakers struggles to be heard when the roof is down as it all stacks up on them ...
Convert exterior.jpg
Convert exterior.jpg (220.7 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Rear shelf.jpg
Rear shelf.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Convert hinge 2.jpg
Convert hinge 2.jpg (287.83 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Attachments
Convert hinge 1.jpg
Convert hinge 1.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 324 times
BMW M635csi (Dinan 3.8) & 1976 Interceptor Convertible
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the photos Julian of the rear hinge area (I can hear my upholsterer groaning now...).

Over the past few months, I have been contemplating a colour change for the car - do I keep it Blue, or do I respray the car in a British Racing Green type colour? And if I was going to purchase a top soon, do I therefore purchase a matching cloth to in either blue or green?

Well, over the past few weeks, I've decided to keep the car Blue, and therefore I'm on the lookout for a Dark Blue canvas top (I do have a Tan Everflex vinal top that came with the car, but it just doesn't look as nice as the canvas ones). Grant, I remember you mentioned that someone had a blue top for an Interceptor Convertible - was it Everflex Vinal, or a canvas top?

Robbins Auto Tops in the US currently have a 25% off sale, so I'm currently investigating colours and prices, and I may pull the trigger on this soon.

Cheers everyone,
DIno
Attachments
Hood Top Colours.jpg
Hood Top Colours.jpg (133.99 KiB) Viewed 263 times

Return to “Members' Cars”