1974 Interceptor Convertible Restoration Project

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
Grant

Re: 1974 Interceptor Convertible Restoration Project

Post by Grant »

DinoMan..it was a Blue canvas one, it was also from Robbins, but it got sold soon after I mentioned it to you Dino :( ..I am sorry for you for that Dino :( ..But as they say about the early bird and all that Jazz, it'll be cool having both your cars in Blue, why not do it the same blue as your gorgeous Interceptor Dino and having a Matching pair aye?Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Looks like Robbins have increased their prices recently by 20% before offering the 25% discount. Marketing eh?!

It is worth remembering that Robbins do not supply the headliner (the wool cloth fabric above your head) but you do have to specify a tan or grey material for the rear window surround when ordering. The hood bag is also lined with the same material so worth considering this and the hood bag colour (if you have one) when thinking about changing the hood cover itself.

Final thought courtesy of Jason at Riverbourne Classisc.....he seems to think that a canvas cover when folded down does not fit into the original hood bag very well.....but if you are having to have one made this can no doubt be catered for.
Dino Fritz

Post by Dino Fritz »

Hi everyone,

With the top on hold for a while, a discussion with my brother revealed a surprising oversight on my part.

When I purchased the car, I was focused on getting the missing (and hard-to-get) convertible parts, and I'd get the remaining parts common to the Interceptor Convertible and Saloon later. What I forgot was that I never received a set of keys with the car, so I provided Martin Robey with proof of ownership, and ordered a full set of set of keys for the car cut as per the original key codes.

Remembering that my car was stolen in the 1990's, and had lost parts and gone through several owners, there was a risk that this just wouldn't work, but it was one that I was willing to take (I thought it would be cool to try and have the correct, factory coded keys as per the MR "Certificate of Origin").

Great news - the keys arrived last week, and the door keys were the correct cut for the fitted door locks! However, the Ignition key wasn't a correct fit, so it was off to my trusty locksmith with the ignition lock and the cut key, and I asked him to match the lock to the MR-cut key.

For some background, my locksmith is a very, very experienced automotive locksmith, and I shudder the thought if I left this key problem for another year or two and he retired!

While he was hesitant at first, once he had the lock cylinder out of the housing, he was able to adapt a set of Chrysler (Aust) pin tumblers to fit, and he actually matched the lock to the key.

Sometimes, you just get lucky!

Cheers everyone,
Dino

'74 Interceptor Saloon
'74 Interceptor Convertible
Attachments
MR Convertible Keys 01.jpg
MR Convertible Keys 01.jpg (397.82 KiB) Viewed 64 times
MR Convertible Keys 02.jpg
MR Convertible Keys 02.jpg (288.05 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Jensens.........when does it ever end!

Return to “Members' Cars”