Int 3 Canadian import at Brightwells auction 2211-1704

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

Int 3 Canadian import at Brightwells auction 2211-1704

Post by Peter Rothery »

https://www.brightwells.com/timed-sale/5239/lot/566732. No further details or pictures available as of today. Brightwell's favour insisting that punters stump up £2500 just to take part in their on-line auctions to keep the idiots away...refundable...eventually if not successful.
2211-1704.jpg
2211-1704.jpg (114.34 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
Peter Rothery

Re: Int 3 Canadian import at Brightwells auction 2211-1704

Post by Peter Rothery »

...now with more pictures. Even comes with a free meat loaf 8 track to keep you entertained during the many hours of what the auctioneer describes as a straightforward restoration project.

Looks like the sills are gone although unfortunately we are missing the hundreds of pictures usually associated with on-line these days. The lighting switches look like they gave up the fight and that fan is a monster. I was looking forward to hearing it run but alas not with the exhaust manifolds in the boot.

Judging by recent auction standards, appalling paintwork, old tyres, corrosion and missing parts should help it command at least £20k :lol: to some lucky punter. Kenny38 will be along with his shovel to help bury it very soon.....
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

These are the cars causing so much angst. This is just one more sent over to find a bigger mug. Blue paint in the wheels? matches the very scruffy paintwork I suppose. I will be surprised if this heap of misery drained of it's life blood finds 20K. Unsalable in Canada? Get a gas axe and destroy before the thing lives again. Parts car? John W will write a sonnet. He would see beauty in a cremation........but so would i. Kenny38
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

The reason so many Jensens still exist today, to give pleasure to owners and spectators alike, is that in the past, certain people have taken the time and spent money to restore them to good condition, regardless of whether it made financial sense, and we should be pleased that there are still a few people prepared to do so.
Let's praise them, not mock them.

Adrian
johnw

Post by johnw »

AH1951 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:34 pm The reason so many Jensens still exist today, to give pleasure to owners and spectators alike, is that in the past, certain people have taken the time and spent money to restore them to good condition, regardless of whether it made financial sense, and we should be pleased that there are still a few people prepared to do so.
Let's praise them, not mock them.

Adrian
I could't agree more Adrian. This car makes so much more financial sense than a badly restored example. Could also be a good one to put away for restoration at a later date after retirement etc. With restored cars not fetching the best prices today, this might be the one to put aside as a future project.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Some people may well have spent money to restore them to good condition, regardless of whether it made financial sense. Others declined the opportunity to sell them for scrap or to the likes of "Medway Interceptors" in the 1980's for the £500-£1000 they were worth then and are now peddling them on ebay or elsewhere for £10k+ as a restoration project (so called barn finds, dragged out of the nearest hedge or wherever). Unfortunately the the cost of restoration versus resale value right now makes them uneconomic propositions. We only have to look to the likes of Jensen Service trying to flog an Interceptor ash tray for £40 secondhand or £60 NOS to illustrate the problem of restoration costs that can get out of hand.

This particular car is going to struggle as a LHD in the UK. There are those in the UK who won't entertain the idea of the steering wheel on the wrong side. Coupled with potentially rotten sills and an unknown engine condition, poor paint, old tyres etc etc would suggest this might struggle to make the reserve...but we will see..
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

John W. You are with out doubt a very kind and senstive man. No matter how ugly and forlourne you will see the hidden talent, the joy of restoring in your old age. You also have excellent optomism.......one which we should all share but realitity can pokes it's ugly face in when you least expect it. Kenny38
johnw

Post by johnw »

This is a really nice LHD project car, late dash very nice, brass plaque. Ideal for the German market. I would definitely drop £6K for that. I would not go higher because the pollution control equipment for Switzerland could be a lot of hassle, a problem that will surely only worsen over here. If someone told me late Canadian cars didn't get the same emissions gear as Texas I might be more interested. In general LHD cars are worth more from my current standpoint. That rotten LHD white MK2 that struggles to make £2K or £3k, actually looks good but for the fact the seller won't let it go for what it gets bid up to.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

It will be a while before the Swiss Authorities will be troubled by any emissions from this one.

Saving it for retirement is a great idea until reality kicks in. Life expectancy, family and budgeting considerations all conspire to make spending a solitary 2 years in the shed (yes things take longer the older you get) a less attractive proposition.
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

HAMMER PRICE
(INC. BUYERS PREMIUM)
Under Offer @ £8,500

Another way, perhaps, to say it only achieved £7500 at the end of the auction against a reserve of £9k but a deal may still be done with some manipulation of buyers/sellers commissions...
SRD

Post by SRD »

This car sold for £9520 incl. B.P.

(I note there are different premiums for buyers and the sellers if you look through the auction T&C's)

Return to “Cars For Sale”