Issue with Firefox

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Re: Issue with Firefox

Post by KaranMK2 »

Why don’t we just upload the upgrades and see if it resolves the issues. To be drastic would be like replacing a leaking oil pump when all that is needed is a new gasket. On the JOC IT, elements running individually simply became unmanageable by one person in the past and the entire system was on the verge of collapse - in fact it was failing consistently and needed propping up. Outsourcing the forum with its associated content/history is currently outside the club’s financial resource. Anyway, I only posted to inform Grant of how things are as some of what he says are incorrect.

Zac, any idea on when you will be able to upload the upgrades.
Grant

Post by Grant »

KaranMK2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:38 pm I only posted to inform Grant of how things are as some of what he says are incorrect.
Ok Many thanks to you KaranImage..
I was only posting to tell Mike of how I had found a work-around untill such times when you find a resolve of the issueImage
Hoping life is treating you well Karan and you are finding plenty of time to get into your Garage, which is where we all want to beImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

KaranMK2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:23 pm Colin, It’s a bit more than the webpages - linked with membership renewals, regalia sales / costs, etc. All, I wanted to do was to inform / correct Grant. The link with the existing club forum was to have one system to assist with the management of multiple tasks. I am hoping that the updates once loaded will deal with the problem that few members and non members with Firefox are experiencing.

Karan
Thank you but my question I feel was not answered. It was side tracked
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Colin,

Reading Karan’s reply and looking elsewhere on this forum, I think Karan has bigger fish to fry at present.

If you’re still keen to pursue the point, maybe set out your rationale for asking the question so we can all better gauge whether it’s simply a ‘nice to know’ question or something more profound.

Cheers.

Stu
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Mark1Stu wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:40 pm Colin,

Reading Karan’s reply and looking elsewhere on this forum, I think Karan has bigger fish to fry at present.

If you’re still keen to pursue the point, maybe set out your rationale for asking the question so we can all better gauge whether it’s simply a ‘nice to know’ question or something more profound.

Cheers.

Stu
It was simply a 'Nice to know' question nothing more
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
johnw

Post by johnw »

I'd just like to say thanks to Zac for all the hard work. Applying patches can be a nightmare when they need backing out after unexpected problems. Virtual machines and server clones sound like good ideas but it is all work and time.

My laptop is now too old for updates from Apple, google have stopped supporting Chrome on it. Yes I tried Firefox, I like it a lot, and finally I can see the problems Grant has :D :shock: :?. Is that a good thing or a bad thing :P

I like to repair my Apple laptop myself, swapping drives, boards and memory, and new models are too integrated and too tamper proof. So it looks like I will be joining the Firefox club sooner rather than later. :D :D :D :D This isn't a problem that affects me yet. I'm just wondering about Opera, and whether diagnostics in the browser its self might show light on what is going on.

Karan and Zac, please do spend time in the garage with your cars without feeling guilty about neglecting us. Seriously. This shouldn't spoil your hobby.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
mikebyrne

Post by mikebyrne »

''Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:55 pm''
This is the date when this problem first surfaced, and still not attended to. Not good enough by far.
We all pay a fairly hefty price,( for some),for membership and deserve a decent forum. Earlier this year I was considering relinquishing my membership due to this bugbear, as all I personally use /ask from the club, is a working forum. However, I decided against this due to Grant's workaround, which is working for me.
Why was the original forum discontinued. Cost ?
I feel very strongly about this issue, having helped to found the club in the first place. Other car forums I visit don't have this issue and it should be the same with the JOC.
Its time something was done, or we should be given a definite answer such as ''no we can't fix it.''
Mike.
Early Jensen Enthusiast
aka The Ozard of Wix.
Has owned:
Jensen PWA 10 2538 LGX 774 1950
Jensen 541 PWX 164 chassis no. 22/5206
541 alloy bodied prototype.
several other 541's
Indian 101Scout
JOC member number 2
Len Jackson was number 1
kees

Post by kees »

mikebyrne wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:31 am ''Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:55 pm''
This is the date when this problem first surfaced, and still not attended to. Not good enough by far.
We all pay a fairly hefty price,( for some),for membership and deserve a decent forum. Earlier this year I was considering relinquishing my membership due to this bugbear, as all I personally use /ask from the club, is a working forum. However, I decided against this due to Grant's workaround, which is working for me.
Why was the original forum discontinued. Cost ?
I feel very strongly about this issue, having helped to found the club in the first place. Other car forums I visit don't have this issue and it should be the same with the JOC.
Its time something was done, or we should be given a definite answer such as ''no we can't fix it.''
Mike.
These kind of issues are a nightmare for both some of the users and the club. They can be hard to fix as the cause is often very difficult to locate. Give the club a break, after all this forum is one of the most active and the best in the car club world. Let us not forget that all the people working for the club are volunteers, not professionals, and spend a lot of their free time for the club.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

I will try to be clear on this, the forum construction has not changed. It is as before. What has changed to allow better management is having one logging in requirement rather than 3. (One for shopping, one for forum and another for website administration). We have amassed a vast collection of information over the years of the club. To revert to having it separated is a retrograde step as we just don’t have the resource for managing three separate systems. This was a significant problem for the club 2 years ago.

Please, I ask for restrain as I don’t want to have a trail of replies to this post.

What we need is for the updates to be implemented to see if it will solve the issues reported.

Regards,
Karan
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

The forum has changed, it now runs in an iFrame within the main web site rather than running on it's own which is what has caused the issues.

When I get time I will update the add-ons used to make it work, if these don't work then I will need to change it so that it doesn't run in an iframe, runs on it's own but includes the same header as the main web site.

I understand people's frustration but please bear with me, I don't get paid for this and have to find time between other things. I did resign from IT.

I need to work out and send the final bills for Le Mans, do the write up for the Spring Weekend, try and sort out various things for area reps.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Grant

Post by Grant »

zacmarshall wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:53 am I understand people's frustration but please bear with me, I don't get paid for this and have to find time between other things. I did resign from IT.
If you've resigned from IT Zac then why are you are trying to do it?, You've done your bit with the IT for years with it all, let the new IT people deal with it (whoever they are).. It's not your job anymore, get on with living your life and doing whatever you want to, you shouldn't feel obligated to do anything if you have resigned..good on youImage.
Karan, Surely you need to find someone else to fix it, not Zac as he has resigned, it's unfair on expecting someone who has resigned from years of doing this job to try and Fix it is it?Image.
Why can't you just get someone to take the Forum out of the website and run that on it's own like it used to be and leave the website as is with all the stuff in it that you mentioned earlier9signing in for regalia, membership etc) and have the forum as a separate entity?
That would solve all the issue would it not?..Kindness always..Grant :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Grant, I have tried to give clarity but obviously failed as I don’t think you understand the implications of your suggestion. No one wants to manage the platform we use for the forum / it’s had its day and needs patching up hence Zac volunteering his assistance. We don’t have funds to completely change it. You yourself is no longer a paid member of the club. If we revert back then who will manage it and all the other functions that’s associated such as registrations, approvals of accounts , addition to membership, drive the upkeep of issuing of magazines to members, etc. As I said before, it simply became too much for one person to manage in the past.

Let’s just bear with Zac with uploading the updates and show equal empathy to everyone else who are working very hard for the club under the constraints we have.

Karan
Grant

Post by Grant »

You are right Karan, I know nothing about any of it, only what I read, what I read and the feeling I get is that Zac has resigned, he doesn't want to be burdened with it Karan. It seems he keeps getting asked and it appears to the readers that he doesn't really want to be involved in the hassle, but that's only what I have read on here.
You are correct I am not a paid member anymore, and to be honest the pittance it is to be a paid member is neither here or there for me, it was never anything to do with the "Money", but I don't want to go over all that Karan :cry:, it's water under the bridge nowImage
I've found a work around and so I'll let your goodself and whoever try to sort the issue for others if possible, good luck with it all Karan.
I appreciate you can do without it too! :wink: ..Kindness..Grant :)
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Grant,

Once more - Zac volunteered for the forum element of the IT for the reasons I have stated.

Karan
Grant

Post by Grant »

KaranMK2 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:29 pm Grant,
Once more - Zac volunteered for the forum element of the IT for the reasons I have stated.
Karan
And once more from me Karan too :D ..You keep asking him on here if he has had any luck with it yet..and he keeps saying "I haven't found time and he has resigned from the IT side of it", it doesn't get done and you ask him again, he then says the same :lol: ..Poor Chap.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage

Return to “General Discussion”