spares suppliers

Mopar Big Block Talk
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Ian Northeast wrote:The engineer that will be doing the rebore has been going for about 40 years. I asked him in principle and he said no problem but I will need to supply the parts.

Deck heights?

Ian
Deck height, the distance from the top of the piston to the gasket face of the block.

Mike
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

The engine should be in as many bits as i can get it by this time tomorrow. The plan is then, vapour blast the lot so we can see what we need to do, then show the engineer to see what parts to order.
I am hoping his experienced expert eye will help me with what size pistons and shells i need.

I can definately confirm that the camshaft and the rockers will NOT do 200,000 miles without some wear. Suffice to say I have some scrap metal to deal with after completion.

Things like the deck heights can only be calculated once the new pistons have arrived and can be measured. Having done things similar before it can be quite scary the difference in quality between components. The main reason for starting this thread was to find the best parts. Cheap parts are just a waste of money.

Someone point out to Richie I have a C-V8 so don't care wether a Hemi would fit an Interceptor. Now has any one fitted a Hemi to a C-V8?

Ian
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I am sure a Hemi could be made to fit a CV8 but why bother? If it is horsepower you are after a properly built 383 or even a 440 could produce nearly the sort of power a Hemi will produce.

What you need to consider build the engine you NEED not the engine you DESIRE, what is the point having a 600hp fire breathing monster that is rubbish in traffic, unusable in the wet, gets hot as soon as the summer arrives and drinks fuel. If you build a sensible engine with some proper upgrades it will give you a smile every time you drive it and because of that you are more likely to drive it.

Even just by upgrading the compression to about 9.5 to 1, putting unleaded valve seats in and putting a reasonable camshaft in with electronic ignition you will have a reliable car that is a pleasure to drive. Be carefull with the compression as modern fuels without lead will struggle with a compression ratio much above 10 to 1.

As far as getting the fuel in the engine that is a matter of personal choice and budget, with the exchange rate as it is there are lots of nice options.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

If the engine is in lots of bits now, I guess that means the "Batmobile" is off the road :wink:

(Just thinking back to little Zac's comment about batman and robin 'coz he kept forgetting your names :shock: )
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

Alas, yes, the 'Batmobile' as you put it, is currently enjoying some well earned R&R. However I am trying to break my own personal record. I have all the contacts in place to order whatever i need by Thursday next week, with a view to refitting inside a month.

I was unaware of the Batman and Robin comments. Was this before or after we donned our costumes for dinner?

Maybe my colour indecision has been decided? Black with huge bat logos on bonnett and doors. I wonder a few fins, some cuts in the side, yes....yes....you know the more i consider it. Watch this space.

Ian
Ian Northeast

Post by Ian Northeast »

Going along great with the stripdown, slight problem. The oil filter canister has a good eigth of and inch of sludge in the bottom. Does anyone know wether the centre tube can be removed without damage? I thought it prudent to ask rather than wreck.

Ian
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

I put the center tube into a bench wise and than turned the canister.
You need a lot of force to turn it, but at the end it works.
There is also a second srew to bleed the canister - befor spoiling the work shop with oil.

Joerg

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”