Just a quickie on oil pumps

Mopar Big Block Talk
Julian_S

Just a quickie on oil pumps

Post by Julian_S »

Looking at the Melling high volume oil pumps on 440source I note that the end plate has the oil filter mount incorporated.

How do you upgrade the remote filter units that we have fitted - will our end plates with the oil-pipe couplings just interchange?

Thanks Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
Derek Jose

Oil Pump

Post by Derek Jose »

Hi - The Jensen face plate is installed in place of the filter housing plate. You should really have the Jensen plate machined to make sure it is as new.
INT lll - 133 5498
JH - 1143 14212
Julian_S

Re: Oil Pump

Post by Julian_S »

Derek Jose wrote:Hi - The Jensen face plate is installed in place of the filter housing plate. You should really have the Jensen plate machined to make sure it is as new.
Thanks, that was what I was thinking. So, if the Jensen plate will bolt to the Melling pump then I just need to stick it on my mate's surface grinder first to remove any scoring and wear.

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

yes julian reuse your old end plate, mill it true job sorted, they do bolt accross that pump is a good choice
1chw

Pressure relief valve

Post by 1chw »

Julian,

check that the spring loaded valve that provides pressure relief is still moving freely. This is part of your old Jensen faceplate and so you may want to consider swapping your new spring into the old faceplate and cleaning out the hole the plunger runs in (I ended up lightly polishing the inside of the bore to ensure it moved freely and sprung back once the oil pressure starts to fall). Mine was sticking open at one stage and I'm sure that was a factor in the engine wear that resulted in my rebuild.
Charles Wheaton,
Interceptor Mk III, '73
136/8512
Julian_S

Re: Pressure relief valve

Post by Julian_S »

1chw wrote:Julian,

check that the spring loaded valve that provides pressure relief is still moving freely. This is part of your old Jensen faceplate and so you may want to consider swapping your new spring into the old faceplate and cleaning out the hole the plunger runs in (I ended up lightly polishing the inside of the bore to ensure it moved freely and sprung back once the oil pressure starts to fall). Mine was sticking open at one stage and I'm sure that was a factor in the engine wear that resulted in my rebuild.
Much water has passed under the bridge since my initial question.

I now have the Melling high volume pump, (forgot to get the heavy duty drive shaft) the Jensen end plate has no wear worth mentioning, but I will swap the relief plungers over - someone has in the past been shimming up the old one with washers.

I've also had the Hemi oil pick up mod done to the block, (3/8'' to 1/2'') it appears that the standard 440 pick up is the Achilles heal of the system and anyone doing a rebuild should make the mod as a matter of routine.

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

I collected a few odds and ends for my rebuild today from Hauser Racing.

This is mainly for the car's records but I'm sure there's a few here that like this sort of thing!

Big valve alloy Edelbrock heads
Crane roller rockers
Crane Cam
Forged 500cid Eagle stroker crank
Eagle forged rods
Diamond custom forged pistons

Interceptor III 136.9113
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Sexy looking parts, what are the brakes like? :lol:
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

Wallace wrote:Sexy looking parts, what are the brakes like? :lol:
Circular things :lol:

Julian.
Interceptor III 136.9113
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Boom Boom ............they must be drum
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

RAP72 wrote:Boom Boom ............they must be drum
Drum? We could Disc-us that one!
Interceptor III 136.9113
CrAzYMoPaRGuY
CMG-Cellar Dweller

Post by CrAzYMoPaRGuY »

Sexy looking parts for sure Julian!
Is that crank a 4.15?
Any pics of the ride it's going to power? Sure looks like a fun time is going to be had!

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”