4 post ramps

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
johnw

Re: 4 post ramps

Post by johnw »

Steve Payne wrote:4 post ramps are great but becarefull of the cheaper ones on the market. I did some work on a car on one of budget priced lift last year and the way it wobbled didn't inspire confidence.

Steve
Steve, was that a 4 post that wobbled?

[Edit: I have my dad's old Bradbury trolly jack, we have used it from the age of 6 as kids. One of the amazing features we played with was a rapid jack, you twist the handle one way, and the jack goes all the way up to the base of the lift you want with one stroke, you then twist to the middle, and it lifts from that point up. No rubbish removing the handle to release a valve. Are the old Bradbury 4 posters going to be practical and safe once locked into position. I am not looking for a restoration project.]
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
DaveT
JOC 541 Registrar

Post by DaveT »

You should watch some of the 2 post lift failure videos on utube - scary stuff! Even when brand new, presented for type approval testing.

Also with any 2nd hand 2 or 4 post lift, you have to consider why they are being sold off. Typically they will be worn out, or uneconomic to repair due to unobtainable parts starting to wear out, or, if you are lucky, the business will have failed before the lifts become worn out or too expensive to service... If you don't want a restoration project for such a potentially dangerous (to both you and your vehicles) piece of equipment, buy a new one with good recommendations from other reliable purchasers.

Otherwise, if you have the floor area and ceiling height necessary, go for it. I am sure you will not be disappointed. I have been working on a restoration project using a flat scissor lift. It cannot pick up a 541S from flat on the floor without some additional jacking help for the first few inches, it has some serious limitations in terms of access to some areas, but otherwise is extremely useful.

Dave
Dave Turnage
Colchester

JOC 8674
JOC 541 Registrar
541S, 100/1061
541R, 6002/387 (now in lots of pieces!)
Alvis speed 25 DHC
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

johnw wrote:
Steve Payne wrote:4 post ramps are great but becarefull of the cheaper ones on the market. I did some work on a car on one of budget priced lift last year and the way it wobbled didn't inspire confidence.

Steve
Steve, was that a 4 post that wobbled?
Yes it was but I have no idea of the make, the owner of the lift was very proud of it and the fact he had paid about £2k for it. I do remember it was green and silver?

It was bolted to the floor but did not inspire confidence the way it moved about. Maybe it had been badly assembled or was not designed to take a 2 ton car?

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Mark Ell

Post by Mark Ell »

I bought mine from these guys,http://eurotekgarageequipment.com/4-post-lifts/
fantastic bit of kit and would not never out of place in a pro garage, defo not a cheap bit of kit. I also bought the jacking beam. I paid for the ramp to be installed and they outsource to a guy who delivers and fits, got to say I was impressed. Can’t say enough good things about them and defo the best thing I have ever done. I don’t have the hight to stand under it, wheels come up to my chest but I thought it was better than the ramp offered by SJR. They were open to deal especially when I mentioned that I fancied the ramp from SJR.
Attachments
B0F95564-1125-42B2-A3DC-E76C8C5B3A3B.jpeg
B0F95564-1125-42B2-A3DC-E76C8C5B3A3B.jpeg (189.98 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
128-4562 G Series III interceptor
Dion

Post by Dion »

Cannot imagine maintaining / repairing my cars without a car lift. Started long ago with a very old second hand car lift (>40 years old) but which was inspected / serviced every year when it was at work at a local garage. When I built my garage I replaced it with a slightly newer car lift, about 25 years old. They are very heavy robust pieces of machinery. With the relatively rare use at my place (compared to a use at a commercial garage) I expect it to outlive myself.
I felt no need to buy new as I think the cheaper ones are built down to a price whereas a good secondhand car lift with service history will often be of a known quality European make. Also, spares will not be a problem should this ever be necessary. These used car lift are often for sale very cheap (got mine for a couple of hundred euros) but as said that does not mean it is bad, far from it.
20190321_100040.jpg
20190321_100040.jpg (212.93 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
Jon H

Post by Jon H »

Hi Mark,

That looks an awesome ramp. I have sent you a p.m.

Thank you,

Jon
J.O.C. Member 10151.
It's taken 40 years + but I have my Interceptor at last!
MkIII J Series 2240 9277
JamesS

Post by JamesS »

Not having the room for a 'proper' ramp, I've gone for these. There's actually quite a reasonable working space underneath, and on a sunny day you can move them outside....
Ramps.JPEG
Ramps.JPEG (94.9 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
-James Smith

1974 Jensen Healey Mk2 1140/17607
2018 VW Golf GTi
2000 Land Rover Defender 110 TD5 CSW
2005 Jaguar XK8 4.2S
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

I was really disappointed the weekend, was going to have a look at the Automech single post lift, which is a reasonable £1650 +Vat, at the Restoration Show, but unfortunately they weren't there. I wanted to look at the quality of the item and just how stable it is.
It is a mine field, and would really avoid second hand ramps as you do not know how well they have been looked after.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Clive Bishop

Post by Clive Bishop »

Anyone got / used or can review Twin Busch ramps https://twinbusch.co.uk/product_info.ph ... ...friends" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; of mine in Germany use the scissor lift and are very pleased with the product and the price as they like me do not have the room for a 2 or 4 post ramp inside the garage...have the width but not the height and the council have refused me planning permission to raise the garage height.

I think their UK distributer was at the recent show at the NEC, they certainly were in 2018
1973 Interceptor Mk III 136/8332 - Moss Green
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 11362 - Magenta - Owned by Lindsey
1972 Jensen Healey Mk 1 10343 - Sadly too far gone and so now a donor car
1973 Jensen Healey Mk 1 12504 - Sold for potential restoration / racer
johnw

Post by johnw »

Kevin Birch wrote:I was really disappointed the weekend, was going to have a look at the Automech single post lift, which is a reasonable £1650 +Vat, at the Restoration Show, but unfortunately they weren't there. I wanted to look at the quality of the item and just how stable it is.
I wouldn't put a Range Rover or Interceptor on a single post lift. I think you need to see a heavy car on one. I saw a single post lift without a car on and it looked substantial and well made, but the owner said it was not really up to it.

I would go for a minimum 4 tonne capacity in a 2 post. My understanding is that the lifts have mechanical locks which hold the car once raised, so the screw or hydraulics are only used during lifting. You can visually inspect a nut on a screw for wear. A professional quality used lift that was well maintained would not bother me so much.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Dion

Post by Dion »

johnw wrote:I would go for a minimum 4 tonne capacity in a 2 post. My understanding is that the lifts have mechanical locks which hold the car once raised, so the screw or hydraulics are only used during lifting. You can visually inspect a nut on a screw for wear. A professional quality used lift that was well maintained would not bother me so much.
My old lift use cables for the lifting process which can be inspected. Once raised it hangs on the cables but it can be lowered until the spring loaded mechanical fingers catch into the posts. When I leave the car on the lift I usually do that (no strain on the cables).
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Clive Bishop wrote:Anyone got / used or can review Twin Busch ramps https://twinbusch.co.uk/product_info.ph ... ...friends" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; of mine in Germany use the scissor lift and are very pleased with the product and the price as they like me do not have the room for a 2 or 4 post ramp inside the garage...have the width but not the height and the council have refused me planning permission to raise the garage height.

I think their UK distributer was at the recent show at the NEC, they certainly were in 2018
I have looked at these, but the picture shows the car on the runners and the rubber blocks don't look that big.. like you Clive I need something as using axle stands and the floor is a young mans game..
( no offence )
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

I have two pairs of Hydraulic ramps I purchased from CJ Autos, you can use one pair to lift the car on its sills with suitable protection of course or put one under each wheel and lift the car higher. If you do this I suggest you also purchase some suitable axle stands so you can lower the ramps on the wheel or axle you are working on. I don't have the height in my garage for a proper lift but this works well and they fold down so well that I can park my Jensen over them once they are fully collapsed.

Steve
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Steve Payne wrote:I have two pairs of Hydraulic ramps I purchased from CJ Autos, you can use one pair to lift the car on its sills with suitable protection of course or put one under each wheel and lift the car higher. If you do this I suggest you also purchase some suitable axle stands so you can lower the ramps on the wheel or axle you are working on. I don't have the height in my garage for a proper lift but this works well and they fold down so well that I can park my Jensen over them once they are fully collapsed.

Steve
Have you a picture please Steve
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

colin7673 wrote:
Steve Payne wrote:I have two pairs of Hydraulic ramps I purchased from CJ Autos, you can use one pair to lift the car on its sills with suitable protection of course or put one under each wheel and lift the car higher. If you do this I suggest you also purchase some suitable axle stands so you can lower the ramps on the wheel or axle you are working on. I don't have the height in my garage for a proper lift but this works well and they fold down so well that I can park my Jensen over them once they are fully collapsed.

Steve
Have you a picture please Steve
No but I can take some at the weekend if you want?

Steve

Return to “General Discussion”