Best way to increase compression?

Mopar Big Block Talk
ade1030

Re: Best way to increase compression?

Post by ade1030 »

I don't know where Nisse found recommendations, but Comp Cams 252H cam in his list is too mild for his combo. It's the mildest one and recommended for 383-400, 2 or 4-bbl, 9:1 and 625cfm carb. I would watch cam from the XE series instead: XE262H has 262/270 duration, .462 .470 lifts, excellent responce, good mileage and works with stock converter. Nice with Comp 911-16 valve springs, 822-16 lifters, 2104 double roller timing set.
Interceptor III J-series 140/5911
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

Yes, the roller set-up is a bit more cash, but its not going in an old chevy, its going in one of the most expensive cars ever produced. IMO the flattening of a new cam and associated debris running through my new bearings, pistons and oil pump negate the extra cost of a roller, not to mention the "modernization" of the motors performance and associated driving enjoyment. There are new cores with cast iron gears that allow the use of the stock steel drive gear set-up for the oil pump, but most do require the use of the bronze geared drive. They last about 14K miles if you are running a stock volume/pressure oil pump (recommended). There is a reason flat tappet camshafts are no longer produced for the OEM applications!
Bruce
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
451Mopar

Post by 451Mopar »

bkbridges wrote:451,
Yes, the roller set-up is a bit more cash, but its not going in an old chevy, its going in one of the most expensive cars ever produced. IMO the flattening of a new cam and associated debris running through my new bearings, pistons and oil pump negate the extra cost of a roller, not to mention the "modernization" of the motors performance and associated driving enjoyment. There are new cores with cast iron gears that allow the use of the stock steel drive gear set-up for the oil pump, but most do require the use of the bronze geared drive. They last about 14K miles if you are running a stock volume/pressure oil pump (recommended). There is a reason flat tappet camshafts are no longer produced for the OEM applications!
Bruce
What cam are you using?
I have the Comp 23-712-9 (XR286HR-10) Hydraulic roller in my 1969 Dodge Coronet. The 440 in the car has been stroked to 505 cid with a 4.25" crank.
I thought the hydraulic roller would be fairly quiet, but it sounds almost like the solid roller cam in one of my other cars, but maybe I am hearing the roller rocker arms or thrust button?

I haven't done anything with the engine in my interceptor yet, but I have been buying some parts because it could use a rebuild or at least re-sealing everything. Right now it leaks pretty bad, and the transmission is starting to slip.
1973 Jensen Interceptor III 140/8400
1971 Dodge Charger 500
1969 Dodge Coronets: a 500 model, a R/T hardtop model and a R/T Convertible
bkbridges

Post by bkbridges »

I run the crane HR-240/365-2S-14 grind right now. Ive got 11.25:1 compression and currently run a 3000 stall 9.5" converter. It actually makes for a great street set-up as the converter flashes at 3200 but is pretty tight from 1200 on up. I wasn't sure this was going to work in a 4400 lb car, but with the 3.54 gearing in the back its a screamer and a real pussycat around town and in LA traffic. Around town mileage is pretty poor at 12mpg, but highway I can get upwards of 18-20mpg depending on my tune. When I installed my first hydraulic roller cam I too was surprised at the slight sewing machine noise, but with the six pack intake nestled down into the valley and a bit of sound deadener underneath like they used at the factor Its virtually inaudible inside the car. With the single plane manifold or airgap I used to run it was much louder. I think the noise is mainly the cross bars on the lifter pairs. Ive got over 40K miles on the current combo so I can vouch for the reliability. You will need a cam button to control thrust as the roller cam isn't ground at an angle, and for my grind I needed to run the bronze gear on the pump drive. Im thinking of stepping up to the HR-254/400-2S-14 grind,but Im afraid I will loose some of the fun factor (in exchange for the fast factor...) Now that Ive had a test drive in a Hellcat powered Challenger Im thinking all kinds of evil thoughts.
BKB
Bruce K Bridges
2210/9272
125/5090
119/170
www.fbthrottlebodies.com
451Mopar

Post by 451Mopar »

What are the specs on that cam? and is this EFI?
The hydraulic roller in my 1969 Coronet R/T Convertible does have the sewing machine sound, and I used a rollerized cam button which I think the sound gets amplified on the timing chain cover?
The EFI on your web site looks cool. Last year I installed the Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT which has a nice intake manifold, but I don't really like the EFI controller box. It has no inputs to sense the A/C compressor turning on, or outputs to switch electric cooling fans. I though about getting a FAST controller, but I don't want to spend the money right now since what I have is OK.
I went with a pretty mild cam in the 505" stroker engine. It is 10.3:1 compression with 440 source stealth heads that had some port clean up and valve job st they flow about 290 cfm. The car has the 3.54:1 Dana 60 and the Legend gear and transmission SS700 overdrive manual 5-speed from keisler before they went out of business.
The engine will pull from 1500 RPM in 5th (50-MPH) with no problem. Not the best picture, but this is the engine with the EFI intake.
505EFI.jpg
505EFI.jpg (232.18 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
1973 Jensen Interceptor III 140/8400
1971 Dodge Charger 500
1969 Dodge Coronets: a 500 model, a R/T hardtop model and a R/T Convertible

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”