Any trace of a LHD FF?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
ajm541s

Re: Any trace of a LHD FF?

Post by ajm541s »

Thanks for the rescue, Chris R! And Joerg, the car you mention in Leipzig is/was 127/308, and obviously found its way via the names referred to.
So, still no LHD FF
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

MAD wrote:
come to think of it, you also have quite a private collection- aren't you missing a car in your list?
Corrected.... :)
I don't know if it's possible to get this type of info from the swiss DVLA
I earlier days it was possible depending on the willing of the personel.... Now they're very restrictive, must have something to do with data privacy. (Altough I cannot follow this argument, looking to our financial industry...

Cheers
Martin
This only applies to disgruntled ex bank employees who steal customer lists and then flog themto the German Ministry of Thievery (Finanzamt) for a few million :wink:
We Sustain

I don't have many friends, but the ones I do have are scared of me.
michael125

Post by michael125 »

"Zirndorf" is only a few miles from my home, shall I curve around with my FF till a Mr. Bauer appears? (sadly a common name round here)

But I have the solution for all those on the continent or in the "new world": If you want to have the driving pleasure of a Jensen FF left hand driven including sound but without unwanted heat, then try to find a Classic Range Rover with an Overfinch conversion. It has an 5,7 ltr. Corvette/Boat Engine connected to a Ferguson transfer box and even a very simmilar anti skid. With its Suspension uprate it puts more G-Force (0,85g on 35m circle) in a corner then a Ferrari 308 or a Porsche 928 (naturally much more than a Quattro with its stupid power/weight balance). LHD or RHD is no problem on those pretty monsters.
kind regards from the continent
Michael

1969 Jensen 119-125
1969 RR DRX 7012
1982 RRC Overfinch 570T
and Mercedes, Porsche, VW, Volvo, Corvette, IHC, Smart
michael125

Post by michael125 »

meanwhile my Overfinch changed his point of view and mine a little too: LHD or RHD is no problem if you have a donor car and about 150 hours to rebuild it. A lot of work...
kind regards from the continent
Michael

1969 Jensen 119-125
1969 RR DRX 7012
1982 RRC Overfinch 570T
and Mercedes, Porsche, VW, Volvo, Corvette, IHC, Smart
Denis

Post by Denis »

Thats interesting is there any BRIXMIS 4WD cars still alive?

There were`d quite a few 4 wd conversions.

Love classic cars!
AndrzejS

Post by AndrzejS »

Hello, I am an automotive journalist from Poland. I work for some niche magazines like "Truck and Business Poland", "BMW Trends" and "Volkswagen Trends". I want to write more about motoring in general, so I started a blog that is meant to contain alternative stories of motoring brands. Jensen was a great topic, so I did a research that led me here and ... Mr Bauer's FF became my obsession.

As some people have already said, the name Bauer is popular in Bavaria, so let's start from the seller. Mr Richter's family and friends could be interested in the unique FF story, because ... Mr Richter, who died in 2014, is already famous as an artist:
https://www.cornelius-richter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
It's not a coincidence of names. Look here:
http://www.jcc.ch/fileadmin/user_upload ... _FF_87.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
The expression "Kunstmaler Richter" says it all.
I contacted Mr Richter's co-workers and relatives, so I will inform you on the progress of my research.

Now, let's move on to the people named Bauer.
We have some interesting traces of "Hubert Bauer":

http://www.pflegeberatung-muenchen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - could be a relative (some families use the same name in more than one generation), but he denies it.

http://www.automobilclub-muenchen.de/da ... ng1977.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - a person unknown to the current President of Automobil-Club München. She tries to find people who could remember Mr Bauer.

http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/his ... Co-KG.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - a manager who had retired two years before the FF was reportedly bought. This may be the person we search for. Playmobil's press team refuse to contact his family on behalf of a journalist.

Thomaslk- could you please inform me, what did Mr Richter say about Mr Bauer's position? (may be via PM)
Last edited by AndrzejS on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomaslk

Post by thomaslk »

Hi Andrzej,
PM sent - good luck
rgds
Thomas
Int Mk III
2211-1490
AndrzejS

Post by AndrzejS »

Once again: thank you very much!
AndrzejS

Post by AndrzejS »

Good afternoon
A little question to Mr Tony Marshall. You said:

"One JOC member in Germany owned a white RHD FF, which he bought from a Mr Bauer, on the advice of Mr Richter!"

And then:
"And Joerg, the car you mention in Leipzig is/was 127/308, and obviously found its way via the names referred to".

Do both statements refer to the same car?
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Hi Andrzej, 308 belongs to Martin from Leipzig, who is also on this Forum occasionally. I don't have a Mr Bauer as a previous owner for his car. And he has never mentioned anything concerning LHD.
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
AndrzejS

Post by AndrzejS »

Thank you Felix.
I have already written a message to Martin. I know that the 127/308 is not LHD. However, if it had been sold by Mr Bauer, I would be able to eliminate some confusion from the data I gathered.
stevej
V8 Lover

Post by stevej »

During a conversation with Richard Peckover a couple of weeks ago he mentioned that they made a Lhd FF years ago that was a very neat solution to the problem.
The basis was an Alfa chain drive that ran behind the dashboard to connect the existing steering column to the new LH short column.
Dick said Qvale stopped the project due to the man hours and costs of an already expensive car.
Dick confirmed with Brian Spicer that the FF chassis they worked on ended up as the GKN FFF.
Interceptor 1 115/3111
Interceptor 3 136/8617
Convertible 2340/9501
FF Mk 2 127/247
Per

Post by Per »

This makes sense as Tony M., you mentioned that chain drive was mooted internally at the time. The HotRod guys of today can buy such transfer steering boxes with pre-stretched chains eliminating slop in the steering.
Per
Not only English cars these days, an Italian is part of the stable again 8)
challenger

Post by challenger »

stevej wrote:During a conversation with Richard Peckover a couple of weeks ago he mentioned that they made a Lhd FF years ago that was a very neat solution to the problem.
The basis was an Alfa chain drive that ran behind the dashboard to connect the existing steering column to the new LH short column.
Dick said Qvale stopped the project due to the man hours and costs of an already expensive car.
Dick confirmed with Brian Spicer that the FF chassis they worked on ended up as the GKN FFF.
steve you are correct about this, i was with john page today who was involved in that conversion, (30yrs at jensen) he told me about this before i had seen this post, indeed it was linked by chain and cogs and was also complicated due to the amount of stuff already there and as you already said not cost effective also not the best set up for a production car
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

challenger wrote:
stevej wrote:During a conversation with Richard Peckover a couple of weeks ago he mentioned that they made a Lhd FF years ago that was a very neat solution to the problem.
steve you are correct about this, i was with john page today who was involved in that conversion, (30yrs at jensen) he told me about this before i had seen this post, indeed it was linked by chain and cogs and was also complicated due to the amount of stuff already there and as you already said not cost effective also not the best set up for a production car

grab a mustang 11 and reverse its steering set up :wink:
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION

Return to “General Discussion”