Facel Vega

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Denis

Facel Vega

Post by Denis »

Probably, one car which is very close to Jensen in terms of rarity and dignity.

I just mean Facel. Probably last really exclusive french car.

Facelita is still affordable, but big, V8 powered Facels are expensive.
It is very rare, but with appr 1000 cars produced, it is not more rare, than Mark I Interceptor and far more common than what ever FF...

Interesting, that Facel is similar to Interceptor in some aspects - Chrysler engine and gearbox, tubular frame, Selectaride dampers etc.

First time I saw this car on the 2012 Technoclassica and it blows my mind.
It`s still cheap, with price tag somewhere at the level of Jag E-type Mk I and Porsche 356A in same condition.

Love classic cars!
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Facel Vega

Post by VFK44 »

It's easy to get your own Facel Vega by just following these simple instructions:

1) Buy a complete wreck:

2) Drop a tired looking body onto it:

3) Strip the body and give it some glossy paint:

4) Add all the trim, stand back and wait for all the admirers1:
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Beautiful cars ... Never seen one in the metal let alone driven one, which i would love to do, but didn't they used to droop with the doors open, even when new?
ajm541s

Post by ajm541s »

In 1959 while working at Connaught's I returned an HK500, which we had borrowed to show a customer, to HWM in Walton, This was a well used example, superbly appointed but down the Seven Hills Road at Weybridge I could feel the body flexing at the top of each hill! Tony Curtis had one, which probably led to his choice of a Jensen in later years.
My father-in-law ordered a Volvo engined Facellia when the right hand drive version was to be built, but sadly Facel went under before it could be delivered. Pretty little car and potentially good motoring after a disastrous start with their first engine.
Most will know that Jensen bought the remaining stock of Chrysler engines from Facel's receivers.
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Kieron
Co-Administrator

Post by Kieron »

pic 3 is amazing, as the Facel in the middle is flanked either side by the Excellence, the four door flagship version of the HK500.. rare as hens teeth.

they are a pillarless four door, with suicide rear doors, but with chassis flex on uneven ground ( or rot in sills ) you sometimes couldnt open the doors..

had a chance to buy one a few years ago and bottled it... ( wish I hadnt now )
1968 Interceptor Mk 1 115/3012
1971 FF MK 2 127/284
Mathias

Post by Mathias »

There was a road test of a Facel Vega in one of the usual car magazines over here in Germany some time ago. Its opponent was a C-V8. Guess who won by far? :D
Mathias
Jensen CV-8 Mk II
#104/2209
Denis

Post by Denis »

i guess, Jensen won competition, as it is 500 kg lighter, right?

But I guess, this is not very honest competition, as Jensen had some quant of sportiness in its blood, Facel was rather pure luxobarge for plutocrates:)

Tony, so does it mean, that first Chrysler component Jensen based on the Facel stock?

But with all respect to Jensen, Facel Vega is the 1954 design, so, it is 12 years prior to Interceptor and 8 year prior to CV8.
So it should be rather compared with 541.

The interesting fact, taken from Wiki, that Jensen 541 weighted 1200 kg, while Facel was over 1800...and still opened the doors on the road bumps...
Love classic cars!
Keith

Post by Keith »

Denis wrote:The interesting fact, taken from Wiki, that Jensen 541 weighted 1200 kg, while Facel was over 1800...and still opened the doors on the road bumps...

But there would be no opening of doors on road bumps, chassis flex or sag if the chassis had been designed by Jensen.

Even a rusty Jensen chassis does not flex or sag, they are so over engineered.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Looking to the enormous round tubes under the floor, it is not surprise, that amount of corrosion dont make sense for Jensen

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... Vega&mid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you can see the Facel body structure and frame.

I think, main issue is hardtop scheme, which dont allow any rigidity for body.
But from other point of view, my 1955 Buick Riviera Hardtop, is rigid like tank.
Love classic cars!
roadripper

Post by roadripper »

http://classics.co.nz/vehicle.php?vehicleid=357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one's a stunner.
136/8069
Denis

Post by Denis »

I know, I am clear minority on this forum, but if we are speaking about handmade exclusive cars, here we have some other over the pond:

1954 Buick Skylark

1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham

1958 Lincoln Continental MK II

I think, this car had clear inspiration for Facel Vega...
Love classic cars!

Return to “General Discussion”