Mk3 G series Survivors - Gathering Info for Website

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Pymmie

Mk3 G series Survivors - Gathering Info for Website

Post by Pymmie »

After looking at Steve Hickey's (RAP 72) excellent Mk1 survivors website

http://www.joc.org.uk/Interceptor_Mk_1/welcome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really fancy having a go at Mk3 G series.

First of all I own one , secondly with only 393 RHD and around 700 in total it should be slightly

easier than Steve's mammoth task.

If anyone want to forward me any info they have including photos i can start to form a website hopefully

using the same format as Steve

Thanks in advance
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
derrick

Re: Mk3 G series Survivors - Gathering Info for Website

Post by derrick »

Yo Pymmie,
Sounds like a good idea. I will try and send you a picture of mine. I am very pro G series. It was I wanted and managed to get. I think that they are great - but then aren't all Interceptors :D

So please add 128/4553 to your list

Derrick
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Fred Mary

Post by Fred Mary »

You coukd add 129/5549, the only Mk3 G serie sold new in France.

Fred.
FF 119/187 1969 resto project
Int 3 129/5549 1971
Int Convertible 2310/1087 1974
Citroen B12 1925
Renault Fregate 1956
Terrot 125 CC 1956
Farmall Cub
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

Looks like you have talked yourself into a project.
DPP

Post by DPP »

Great idea John, I would be happy to send you info on my car if you go ahead.

I must say I like the MKI website and I do know this will be a lot of work for somebody, well done for volunteering.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Keith

Post by Keith »

What is the appeal of the G-Series, may I ask?
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Couple if reasons really Keith

1. I own one

2. With only around 700 built there fairly rare working on
25% survival

3. I'm hoping to encourage others to have a go.ie Coupe/SP/HC Etc

colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Forgive me, but shouldn't this really come under the Interceptor Registrar which the JOC does have

If two many people have their own lists and web page for each 'Model' or 'Sup-model' then what's the point of the JOC having an Interceptor registrar.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
DPP

Post by DPP »

What is the appeal of the G-Series, may I ask?
Tax exempt and smog free :D :D :D
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
nickh

Post by nickh »

Quote:Forgive me, but shouldn't this really come under the Interceptor Registrar which the JOC does have

Having a mk1 interceptor website with no complaints does make this comment rather superfluous. IMHO anyone who is prepared to put the time and effort in to something which some if not all of the membership are interested then they should be applauded. Maybe comments from the interceptor registrar would alleviate or fuel this debate?
Regards Nick
cantona7

Post by cantona7 »

for what its worth I dont think the 6.3 litre (383) mark 3s were called 'G series' back in the day. the G series engine just happened to be the one that jensen could get from chrysler at that time. from all that I have read in the calver, john tipler and other books, including keith's own book, I think the J series mark 3 was the first interceptor to get its own additional label. that said, I think its a great idea, the more info thats up on the web the better as far as I am concerned and many on here have come to call the 6.3 litre mark 3 a 'G series'. they were a bit down on power compared with the 383 engines in the mark 2s mind you, given they ran 9.2:1 compression rather than the 10:1 in the earlier engines. there is also a myth that exists that the 440 motors in the later mark 3s were all fitted with the US anti-smog equipment. Not so, that was only on the US cars, not the engines used for the UK cars.
Jon Hayes
Interceptor 111 136/9108
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

Interesting debate.

My only goal is to collect info on behalf of the JOC & compliment
Steve's (RAP72) excellent Mk1 site which has been adopted by the
JOC.

Surely if we as a club have volunteers willing to concentrate on a
specific variant , then eventually we will end up with a comprehensive
database that like the forum & magazine will be the
envy of clubs up & down the land

It was only idea I had to help fill the evenings in the
winter & spring especially with my car off the road

Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

colin7673 wrote:Forgive me, but shouldn't this really come under the Interceptor Registrar which the JOC does have

If two many people have their own lists and web page for each 'Model' or 'Sup-model' then what's the point of the JOC having an Interceptor registrar.
You're probably right Colin, but no one has done it. Steve Hodder only recently assumed the role of registrar but I for one don't know what information he holds and it certainly isn't published in any way.
What is the role of the registrar?
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Chris_R wrote:
colin7673 wrote:Forgive me, but shouldn't this really come under the Interceptor Registrar which the JOC does have

You're probably right Colin, but no one has done it. Steve Hodder only recently assumed the role of registrar but I for one don't know what information he holds and it certainly isn't published in any way.
What is the role of the registrar?
The role of the registrar is to record the owner and history of the cars of the model he is responsible for. See the inside page of the magazine for contact details. Note that the Interceptor Variants as looked after by Tim Clark include the SP, Coupe and Convertible.
The club also has technical advisors to answer any technical queries. Some Registrars will also act as a technical advisors, contact details are in a later page in the magazine.

The club's membership secretary also holds a register of cars built from the details on membership forms and speaking to members. Most of the Registrars hold their own records, some on paper, some in electronic means.

The system used by the membership secretary is a stand alone system and has a number of problems including no record of when a car was bought or if the owner is still the current owner, making it very difficult to tell the sequence of owners.

The club is now developing a new secure web based membership and registrars system which will make matters much easier for the registrars and vastly improve record keeping going forward. This will also avoid loss of data as occurred when the Healey Register details were destroyed in a house fire. I have been developing this system in my spare time so progress has not been as quick as I would like, but I am getting there.

Only approved members (i.e. the club's registrars and selected others) will have access to the system, however the system includes information that can be included on a website that will be driven from the database behind it, the information pulled together by Steve Hickey (RAP72) will be included on this new website which will replace the current mark 1 site. Paul Lewis (ex Interceptor Registrar, now Chairman) confirmed that Steve Hickey will have access to the Interceptor Mark 1s on the system, it will be up to the current Interceptor Registrars (Steve Hodder / Tim Clark) and the chairman whether other people have access.

Owners names and certain other information will not be included on the website unless they give their permission. In the short term owners can notify the registrars of updates by email / phone, in the long term forum / club members will be able to submit a form electronically. I see this new website as a useful tool for encouraging people to give us the details of the cars, however as I have said I need to concentrate on getting the new system in before adding the website.

In the long term members will be able to sign in to the system and update their address details, purchase regalia or enter the forum.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

That's a very good explanation of the role and is something close to what I would hope to see.
But the fact that it is linked to membership could be a shortcoming. Until Steve Hickey created his website, no one knew the extent of Mk1 cars that existed. We have no idea of how many Mk2's exist, which ones they are, or if we do, it is not published. Unless Steve Hodder is actively checking every Interceptor that appears anywhere against whatever records he holds then that situation is not improving either. For example, has Steve Hodder got car 123/3855 (currently on ebay) in the records as existing? If not, it should be there now.
Steve Hickey had an army of watchers looking for cars and every time a Mk1 appeared anywhere there was a posting regardless of whether it was owned by a member or not.
You've said in your reply that owners can notify registrars of updates but not all owners are members and not all owners will bother, I predict that most won't bother, apathy on things like that is just human nature. Only a few are interested enough to keep that sort of record up to date.
The strength of Steve Hickey's website is that it is a record of cars regardless of where they were seen and irrespective of ownership. The car doesn't cease to exist on change of ownership so the record is still valid and needs no maintenance. It has a different objective to membership and ownership.
It is that aspect that has caught the imagination and interest of myself and John to emulate the Mk1 site for Mk2's and the 'G' series. Also, they are smaller sections of the overall Interceptor population and I suppose we felt we could manage the number of entries without being overwhelmed.
If this is going to be done via a database from the club then I'm happy to wait until then (not too long I hope) and to volunteer to maintain Mk2 related vehicle information on the system. This would be to record the vehicles that are seen to exist and have nothing to do with ownership or membership information.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Discussion”