Now that's different

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
bonkers24seven

Now that's different

Post by bonkers24seven »

On eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-Ford-Mus ... 3643356395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Consciouness, that annoying time between naps !!
Denis

Re: Now that's different

Post by Denis »

Rumours that it was developed for the Swedish government order for police .
Love classic cars!
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

LHD - and the myth says that this was not possible for Jensen :D
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
ajm541s

Post by ajm541s »

Regrettably the 'myth' concerning an LHD version of the FF is hard fact. The problem we had with the FF was due to the Ferguson unit not being able to be run upside down, which it would have had to do if a mirror image conversion was used. With the chassis as designed by Jensen this was the only possibility in order to make room for the steering in an LHD configuration. Believe me, we were well aware that, despite the stiff price, the LHD export market was of considerable value to us and which might well have been sufficient reduce unit cost and prolong the life of it and future models.
With a monocoque chassis and smaller engine block the story is very different, as this Mustang proves. However, still nobody took it up, which I suspect was mainly due to cost and weight penalities.
Could Jensen have designed a better chassis? Most likely yes, but at the time the only affordable way of producing the FF was by converting the Interceptor chassis. While it was not a commercial success in itself, the value of the FF in terms of publicity for the company was enormous, far better than any amount of advertising we could have paid for.
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

It would seem to still be paying for itself & I rather fancy will continue to long after we are all dust!
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

ajm541s wrote:While it was not a commercial success in itself, the value of the FF in terms of publicity for the company was enormous, far better than any amount of advertising we could have paid for.
I think the percentage of Quattro model Audis to the front wheel drive models is around the same as that of the FF to the Interceptor, nobody says the 4wd Audis aren't a success.

Having driven an SP on song over greasy Autumn roads then give me an FF any day.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

Thanks for the explanation Tony, and sorry for the "myth". :D

I love to read your insight stories whenever they pop up.

Do you know what Ford did with the Ferguson unit? What did they do to create the LHD versions if the unit could not just put upside down?

Jens, curious.
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
ajm541s

Post by ajm541s »

Not being an engineer I can only guess, as I said before, that it was the Jensen chassis configuration that was the problem, there not being any room for LHD steering. There were many other cars converted to FF drive, including Ford Granadas, Vauxhalls etc.
What I find interesting about this Mustang is that it was built early in 1965 as a demo car to solicit business. Is this how Jensen became involved? It all happened before I joined JML.
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Thank you Tony. Glad to see you are still active in Jensen circles.

Maybe this story will come out one day when Richard Calver's magnum opus is published, but in order for that to happen we need to get out there and buy his current books.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead

Return to “Cars For Sale”