Restoration of 128/4430

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
DPP

Restoration of 128/4430

Post by DPP »

This is intended to be the story of my restoration
I bought this car in September 2011 with a view to restoring it this is how it looked when I bought it although there are a lot of bodywork issues that don't show up on the camera.

In late October I had the car in my workshop and started the process of stripping it down, at the same time a good friend of mine started on the bodywork restoration
First thing was a full set of new sills

Then the rear crossmember and a full new floorpan was fabricated and fitted
Then rear arch repair panels and inner rear arches were fitted, this still left a large hole so the rest of the inner arches were fabricated and fitted
Whilst all this was happening I have finally finished stripping the car and have now started cleaning the shell for paintwork once the welding is complete.
Hopefully we will have soon completed all welding from the A posts back although there is a fair amount of work on the inner wings and bulkhead.

Thanks to Geff and Brian at Park Garage Bodies for all the hard work which has gone into the hardest part of the job the bodywork I can highly recommend them
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

Well done, looks as though it was in the same state as CEA in '95.
That'll be a stunner when finished.
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
PaulMcElhinney

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Impressive work Dave. Another one saved. Hats off to you.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
Rangel Dimitrov

Post by Rangel Dimitrov »

hi there if is not a secret how much cost resto like this one
taximan

Post by taximan »

Lets just say you can buy a nice car for less. But if you want a near perfect car you know inside out, this is the route you must take.
Not always economically viable, but hey, its an investment of love and passion for the marque, and maybe one day worth more than the blood sweat and cash that you put into it.
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
DPP

Post by DPP »

hi there if is not a secret how much cost resto like this one
Ive only just started but the purchase of the car is not very significant it is the cost of body panels and fitting where the real cost is.
2 rear arch repair panels and 2 inner arches cost xxx£1475 but the inner arch is just about the first 2-3 inches from the outer arch and the rest needs to be fabricated, this is very labour intensive!
Lets just say you can buy a nice car for less. But if you want a near perfect car you know inside out, this is the route you must take.
This is very true and I wanted a car that is rebuilt properly and that is only possible if you see it at this stage, if you don't keep removing things you won't find all the rot and the car will require more work later on, I would rather get it out of the way now so that I have a solid car to enjoy as im in this for the long term and not here to make a quick profit.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Trevithick

Post by Trevithick »

Good man :wink:
SP 131/4980.
Back soon.
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

Every time I see something like this posted in the forum I wonder how the cars are still stiff enough to drive instead of falling apart completely.

Sills gone by 80%, large holes in every crossmember, wheel arch, body panels ...

All these rotten chassis parts - unbelievable.

Brave men to restore these cars - Chapeau!
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
DPP

Re: Restoration of 128/4430

Post by DPP »

Here are some photos of the inner wheel arches and boot floor these panels were all fabricated by Geff The Welder.
There are a few small pieces to finish under the rear of the car but attention has now turned to the inner wings.

I have been working on the front suspension and have got the first components back from powder coating and am looking forward to fitting them back on the car.

Im hoping to get to the meet at Coventry this weekend so that I can get to see the finishes on members cars as I will be able to start underneath the car the boot and the engine bay soon.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Nice to see all the good work on the car getting done.

Coincidentally I'm working on the suspension too. Just shimmed the lower ball joints and did the polybushes so this evening I can start assembling some bits on the cars (and now really have to choose which shock dampers to buy for the front axle, rear gets Koni's).
1973 Interceptor Mk. III
1976 Interceptor Mk. III Convertible
1976 Jensen GT
Jaguar E-type OTS
Triumph TR4A
DPP

Post by DPP »

Work has been continued although a bit slower lately. I have managed to get a new toy so I can get underneath and remove the old paintwork and underseal.

New stainless steel bumpers have just arrived from Vietnam and after unwrapping they look good there are a few minor marks which will polish out and I will have to fabricate some
mountings as I have the tube type mounts.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Are the bumpers from Harrington?
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
DPP

Post by DPP »

VFK44

Well guessed they are from Harrington and although I have only offered them up to the car and checked for imperfections I am happy with them.
They cost £850 delivered with overriders (and thats for the pair). There are some minor scratches that will need to be polished out and I have got to fabricate mountings as they have the later mountings
but I was made aware of the mountings before ordering.
I ordered them on the 24th of Jan and was quoted 10 days to make them and 3 days postage with DHL, they took considerably longer to make although I was sceptical of a 10 day turnaround. I was not bothered by the
delay but it would have been nice to be kept informed. Once made I received a DHL tracking number which took 3 working days to my door.
It may seem a bit previous to order them now but I want to make sure of the best fit and drill the holes in the wings for the side fixings before any paint goes on the car, this way I know it will be a simple fit after the paintwork is finished.

I will update this topic after fitting the bumpers so that other members can decide if they are worth buying as the information I found on the web was a mixture of good and bad.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Wow, great work bringing the Int back to bare metal.

I have seen their website but so far no bumpers in the flesh. Hopefully they'll fit nicely.
1973 Interceptor Mk. III
1976 Interceptor Mk. III Convertible
1976 Jensen GT
Jaguar E-type OTS
Triumph TR4A
DPP

Post by DPP »

Work has now started on inner wings this is how it looks with the rot removed

After discussion with Geff the welder it was decided that he would fabricate the inner wings, now he has replaced the top support box section and plated and seam welded the steelwork at the top of the passenger footwell.

This box section looks a lot better if you dont remove the covering but if you do be prepared for a spot of welding
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182

Return to “Members' Cars”