Becker Radio c.1960

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Barrie
Tupperware Extraordinaire!

Becker Radio c.1960

Post by Barrie »

Can anyone please help with this Becker Radio?
Serial no J258693.
I would like to know how old it is.
Is a download of the operating manual available. ( no luck on the internet so far )

Barrie
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
ajm541s

Becker radio

Post by ajm541s »

Becker "Europa TR"
1958 Type 190SL
owner: Graham van Heerden

The idea was to copy the photo on the website, but it appears only the link came hrough. Howeer, it is almost the same front as yours with the same station selection options. So, 1958 it is.

www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/radios.htm

(Link edited by Wallace)
Last edited by ajm541s on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Thanks ajm.

Amazing that the Germans were producing such an advanced compact transistor car radio in 1958 when UK was still selling Radiomobile valve radios.

Anyone any ideas re instruction manual?
“Even in a time of elephantine vanity and greed, one never has to look far to see the campfires of gentle people." Garrison Keillor
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

:roll: It's not that advanced Barrie, no USB or iPod connections on the front.
ajm541s

Not quite

Post by ajm541s »

Thanks, Wallace, I have substituted the word 'exactly' for 'almost'!

and I found this:
http://www.koenigs-klassik.de/_Becker_/_becker_.html
Tony Marshall
JML 1967-74

JOC 7828
frank muller

Becker Radio Shop

Post by frank muller »

I got the Becker Radio for my Jensen from:
http://www.koenigs-klassik.de/_Becker_/_becker_.html
they renovate old Becker radios and offer ipod cable interfaces.
JOC Member 9018 - Int III 140/8957
Travelling Wilbury

Post by Travelling Wilbury »

very good but how do you connect the power amps and boom box to that ?not stereo wont even accept cd's
2xmk2 123/3670
5 mk3 128/4381 , 2240/9628 , 136/8561 ,
1x 67 FF mk1 1x 70 FF mk2 1x 74 FF mk3
SEE MY COLLECTION OF OTHER MAKES
and a digger to dig bigger holes
michael125

Re: Becker Radio c.1960

Post by michael125 »

Barrie wrote:Can anyone please help with this Becker Radio?
Serial no J258693.
Is a download of the operating manual available. ( no luck on the internet so far )

Barrie
Your Becker Grand Prix is made between January 1968 and mid 1970 if the 108 Scale is originally fitted an the housing is as hig as the front frame. Then there should be a separate amplifier, connectet with a grey cable. If the housing is 2/3 as hig as the front, it is the one-block version from mid 1970 to 1975 when "becker" changed to BECKER. The front design was especcially made for Mercedes (same knobs as for the cars own switches and the same stripes as in the instruments)

Please do never keep the front mounting parts behind the scale, they will sratch the painting.
michael125

Re: Becker radio

Post by michael125 »

ajm541s wrote:Image

Becker "Europa TR"
1958 Type 190SL
owner: Graham van Heerden

The idea was to copy the photo on the website, but it appears only the link came hrough. Howeer, it is almost the same front as yours with the same station selection options. So, 1958 it is.

www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/radios.htm

(Link edited by Wallace)
This is absolutely no 1958 Radio and not for a Mercedes too. Its the universal version from aprox 1963 to 65 when it was renamed "Europa" (without "TR") but kept the same design till 1968 when the pushbuttons lost their finger friendly design as seen in the posting above.
Barrie

Re: Becker Radio c.1960

Post by Barrie »

michael125 wrote:
Barrie wrote:Can anyone please help with this Becker Radio?
Serial no J258693.

Barrie
Your Becker Grand Prix is made between January 1968 and mid 1970 if the 108 Scale is originally fitted an the housing is as hig as the front frame. Thanks for the information. I thought the date of 1958 I had been given was a little early for such an advanced radio. Then there should be a separate amplifier, Is the amplifier necessary to make the radio work or is it just an add-on accessory just to give better sound? connectet with a grey cable. See picture of rear ImageIf the housing is 2/3 as hig as the front, it is the one-block version from mid 1970 to 1975 when "becker" changed to BECKER. The front design was especcially made for Mercedes (same knobs as for the cars own switches and the same stripes as in the instruments)

Please do never keep the front mounting parts behind the scale, they will sratch the painting.
michael125

Post by michael125 »

ok, the picture of the back side shows a 1970 to 1973 model, where the speaker can be connectet direktly to the blue/yellow coded cables. If you want to connect two speakers you have to use a fader or a rare thing we call "Uebertrager" in german.

the other connection;

-black cable "plus"
-housing (smal pin on the cap-side) "minus/ground"
-the smal brown multi-pin is for a remote control of the automatic station search (normally press the "Grand-Prix" letters on the front)
-the multi pin with the black cap is for a cassette player
-the two pins near the loudspeaker output (may be coded with "+") is a plus output for fully automatic antennas
-Antenna signal input is the silver hose srewed on the back side (you may have to use a special 90 degree antenna cable, never srew the hose of, the cabel inside will be cut off immediately)

any further questions?
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Brilliant Michael, thank you.

Let's see if I can get it working now.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Barrie wrote:Let's see if I can get it working now.
There may be trouble ahead.......

(Barrie's previous company Blue Flash Electrical went up in flames)
taximan

Post by taximan »

The input for a cassette player could be used as an ipod input if the correct pins can be identified?
Also the trigger for the auto aerial could be used to turn on a modern amp with a speaker level input, giving you the fader at the same time through setting the gain (4 channel amp)
Shaun.
VAUXHALL VISCOUNT 1969
MB W213 220D
MB E Class Cabriolet
JOC Member 9052
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

You can also get a cassette interface device that you can insert directly into the cassette slot which allows any MP3 player to play directly through the cassette pickup heads. No changes needed to make it work. I think Maplins have them or also maybe Amazon.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Discussion”