Jensen 541 for auction at Fieldings, Stourbridge on 8 May 20

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
PaulMcElhinney

Jensen 541 for auction at Fieldings, Stourbridge on 8 May 20

Post by PaulMcElhinney »

Gents,

I have this evening read the Express and Star, the Black Country's evening newspaper. There is an article about a red 541 coming up for auction on 8 May. The article cites the year as 1956 and says that it was one of 500 made. Apparently it was buried under bags of newspapers in a garage in nearby Oldswinford, Stourbridge. The article states that the vehicle is expected to fetch xxx£5,000. The 541 enthusiasts out there may be interested.

Regards

Paul Mac.
Paul McElhinney - Mk I 115/3309 in Positano yellow, FF Mk II 127/289.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Lot 781
A 1956 Jensen 541 Series saloon motor car, 3993cc, registered on the 8th October 1956, registration number OEA 920.78802 miles recorded. With damages and not running - sold as seen. ILLUSTRATED

The chassis used in the 541 series was a first for Jensen and the use of glass fibre and polyester resin for the body panels and all-round disc brakes was a production first for a motor manufacturer - source - the Jensen Owners Club website.
This car has been stood in storage for some time and, according to a hand-written and dated notebook kept by the previous owner, would appear to have completed just 912 miles since his last book entry of 25th May 1970.
xxx£3000 - xxx£5000
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

I've put a picture on the Jensen541.com site:
http://www.jensen541.com/541news.htm (follow auction house links for PDF catalogue).

What a find! I'm guessing it might not be original in the engine department as the previous owner has added a bonnet scoop. And a scoop on the L/H wing. And a scoop on the R/H wing. And an air duct above the L/H headlight. And at least two sets on louvres on the bonnet top. And after all that, the swivelling bonnet flap is in the open position!

It sits really nicely - maybe due to the original tyres still being on it?
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill

Return to “General Discussion”