1958 Jensen Tempo - Tempo Matador 1

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
interjen

1958 Jensen Tempo - Tempo Matador 1

Post by interjen »

Has anyone out there any info on the Jensen Tempo? They were built under licence for the German Tempo-Werk GMBH factory, Hamburg. They were built as standard German spec, front wheel drive with the Austin A50, 1500 (B) series engine coupled to a ZF gearbox, and not as some people have said that Jensen added the engine on their own British built vehicles. The same applied to the chassis and body options which included a 12 seater minibus, a panel van, a double cab 6 seater pickup, a standard 3 seater with tipper body and also a chassis cab. Over 100,000 of the Tempo badged vehicles were sold in Europe, not only did Tempo approach Jensen to build and sell their design under the Jensen badge, they were also exported under the Tempo badge all around the world. No one knows how many of the Jensen built examples were produced, do you? do you know anyone who worked at the factory while these were in production? Tempo finished production under their name in around 1966 and were taken over by Hanomag which remained until around 1969 when Mercedes Benz took over. If anyone can help me find any examples either in the U.K or Europe it would help my search in the history of these interesting little vehicles. Even then innovation was obviously top of Jensens list, the Tempo had a hydraulic chassis which would raise or lower allowing the body to be changed, being front wheel drive it meant the load height could be minimal, just 22 inches and it had a heater! I have just bought what is believed to be the only two Jensen built Tempo's in the U.K and maybe even the world, do you know of any others? Please, any info at all would be most appreciated.

Simon Holloway
Lincs and S Humberside area group.
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
Han Kamp

Jensen Tempo

Post by Han Kamp »

Hi Simon,

how very interesting that you found a Jensen Tempo. This is a vehicle that I have been trying to find as much info as possible for. I have managed to collect quite a few brochures and road tests, even from Australia. Only last week I bought a beautiful 1:43 scale model recently being reproduced by Schuco and also have rare Marklin and Siku models of the "open bed" and window van version. I can send you a pic. of the Schuco off line (sorry I cannot manage to post pics on the forum). I know these models aren't really Jensens, but at this scale one couldn't read the badge anyway :wink: Do you want me to look up any particular info for you? I would be interested in one or more pictures of your Tempo !![/img]
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Look here - all about TEMPO - exept Jensen Tempo and written in German only - but nice pictures. I´m sure these guys can help you with lots of details.

http://www.tempo-dienst.de/

8) Joerg
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Congratulations Simon. I have never heard of any other Jensen Tempos anywhere, but know nothing about the German originals which were presumably sold in larger numbers. The surviving records at Warwick are fragmentary, but list the following Tempo sales: Oct 1958 (1), December 1958 (74), January 1959 (2), April 1959 (4).

This is from document MSS.215/2/5/1/1 "Monthly sales and production" which does not use the same formatting for each period. Nonetheless it woud appear that none were made/sold prior to this date. There may have been a few after April 1959, but I don't know. Perhaps better records have survived at the German end showing sales to Jensen?

So, please tell us what you know about your two. Chassis numbers, registration numbers, engine numbers, who owned them, what condition, what plan you have.

And congratulations again.
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
interjen

Post by interjen »

Thanks for all the replies, Any pictures you could provide Han would be good. ANY information you can dig up would be fantastic and appreciated. Both Tempos are in a dreadful state, the idea was to make one good one out of the two but its difficult to decide which is the recipient vehicle and which is the donor! Thanks also to Joerg, i found this website from Google and it is most helpful. I am trying to get an application form downloaded to fill in and send off to the "Tempo" owners club. There is an e-mail address but who knows if its still current?? Finally, Mike, As said i plan to make one from the two... as also said they are both dire. I had to make a decision to buy or not and decided to go for it or risk them being gone for ever... It will be a very hard and difficult task to recreate the cab but fortunately the chassis on one is very good and still painted! rare items like dials and door handles and most importantly badges and even genuine "Tempo" mudflaps are all in tact! As yet i am waiting for the logbooks for both vehicles, they are in storage at the moment and as the previous owner has over 200 classic steam engines, Lorries and Tractors it will take a bit of tracking down but as he bought the both NEW he knows he still has a folder with the original information sheets and adverts, he actually remembers going to the factory to collect them!. One i know has an EA reg number. I will keep the information coming as i receive it and perhaps everyone else will do the same, PLEASE!!!

Simon Holloway
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
GPZ900R
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Joerg - that's a very useful site. I see some of the vehicles depicted in the comtemporary brochures look to be the same ones seen in the Jensen brochures - which I hadn't noticed before have German registration plates! Makes me wonder whether Jensen actually sold some of the more obscure tower wagons etc at all, or just produced the catalogue knowing they could get one if an order came in. A bit like the pre-War 'H' type formal limousine which was pictured in the contemporary Jensen brochure but was probably never ordered, so we don't think was ever built.

Simon - I've seen a recent-ish photo of a dumped Jensen Tempo in light blue with "Dart Spring" lettered on the front. Is that one of yours?
Mike
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Simon

I think most of that stuff is "German related". If I can help you in any way, just let me know.

My grandfather had several of that cars in his company - ages ago, but I remenber very well driving the later Hanomag Transporter.

http://www.hanomag-kurier.de/tempo3.html

Regards

Joerg

PS: Will you come to the Dutch meeting this week?
Han Kamp

Tempo brochures etc.

Post by Han Kamp »

Simon,

if you would be so kind to give me your address and private
email address, I will make photocopies of what I have and
snailmail this to you.
My email is: jthkamp@cs.com
interjen

Post by interjen »

Thankyou Hans, i will send you a PM, Thanks for that link Joerg, that is very interesting. Sadly with family commitments I:E 4 children under 3 years old we will not be able to come to the Dutch meeting this weekend but have already penciled that in to "Things to do when the children are older" book :D and yes Mike, that is one of mine, i sent you a picture of it last week when i contacted you via e-mail, or did it come from someone else? :?: This one i propose will be the donor vehicle???

Simon Holloway
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
GPZ900R
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

That is one of the few advatages from beeing 40-something. :lol:

My boys now want to drive what I have rebuild - but I still have to pay for the petrol - other side of the same coin. :(

Joerg
Keith

Tempo Brochure

Post by Keith »

CJ

Post by CJ »

Ah, so thats where the idea for thunderbird 2 came from :lol: ,

Ill get my coat :oops:.
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Simon,

Your e-mail last week came through without attachment. My photo came from elsewhere, but probably comes back to you as I recall it was hush hush at the time!

With several JNSNs around and at least one Jen-Tug, this completes the major holes in surviving Jensen commercial vehicles, so well done Simon . . and good luck!
Mike
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Simon,

Any news on the Tempos? Do you have possession of them yet?
Mike
flatekvaal

Tempo datasheet

Post by flatekvaal »

Hi Simon!

There is a data sheet for Tempo Matador for sale on e-Bay. Maybe this can be of your interest?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ULTRA-RARE-JENSEN ... dZViewItem

Also, one of the members in our local classic car club have 2 Tempos, one Rapid and one Matador, but not Jensen built. I think he have some spare parts too, that might fit your car. Send me an e-mail if you want to contact him.
Good luck with your Tempos! :D
Regards,
Oyvind Flatekvaal

1957 Jensen 541 : 541/1295803
1961 Renault Dauphine R1090
1961 Lloyd Arabella
1950 BSA 350 B31

flatekvaal@gmail.com

Return to “General Discussion”