1958 Jensen Tempo - Tempo Matador 1

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Dave Perkins

Post by Dave Perkins »

The Tempo/Hanomag became the Mercedes 306d, in the early 1980 s I used to have a 306d up and a 306d van.
If you look in the August 2008 Classic Car Mart magizine on page 138 look for www.pioneer-automobiles.co.uk they have a 306d pick up for sale .
Also you will see Steve Payne with his Interceptor mk3 on page 40, well done Steve.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Getting seriously off-Jensen-topic here, but take a look at this!
the only air-cooled, mid-engined, front-wheel-drive pickup truck with suicide doors ever created

http://jalopnik.com/cars/2007-volkswage ... 267611.php

Stephen.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Mike Jensen

Tempo (Vidal & Son) was a big Company

Post by Mike Jensen »

Dear Simon,

Tempo was a well selling Company in Germany. Even today you sometimes see Tempos or their follow up models on the roads. A friend of mine drives a Matador E as daily driver.

Spare parts are easily available in Germany. There are many sources for new and used parts. It would be sad to sacrifice even one of the scarce JNSN version. I am happy to help for searching a German donor car (or two) or translation jobs. My suggestion would be to restore one without destoying the other. I am sure there are enthusiasts to take over the second and restore this one in the same manor.

May I ask you to send photos of your archivements? Thank you very much.

Best from the Baltic Sea,
Mike
JOC 6021
Jensen-Healey 1110/12414
541 541/505206
Dusty Springfield's 125/5088
Kiel's home of Jenthusiasm
Dave Perkins

Post by Dave Perkins »

Mike
Can you still get Mercedes 306d parts easy?, also I would like to see any photos of Simons Tempo trucks.
Dave
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

Here are some more shots of the VW based matador. Might be handy to see how they were put together apart from anything else...

http://www.oldbug.com/tempo.htm
lewy

Post by lewy »

Hello,
I own a tempo matador here in australia and i am rebuilding it from ground up,I have the rust cut out of cab but i now need drive axles.
Mike or anyone else could you please help me find drive axles for mine, it is the VW powered tempo matador. The later tempo matador might be the same as well
Any help much appreciated
regards Lewy
Han Kamp

Re: 1958 Jensen Tempo - Tempo Matador 1

Post by Han Kamp »

interjen wrote:Has anyone out there any info on the Jensen Tempo? They were built under licence for the German Tempo-Werk GMBH factory, Hamburg. They were built as standard German spec, front wheel drive with the Austin A50, 1500 (B) series engine coupled to a ZF gearbox, and not as some people have said that Jensen added the engine on their own British built vehicles. The same applied to the chassis and body options which included a 12 seater minibus, a panel van, a double cab 6 seater pickup, a standard 3 seater with tipper body and also a chassis cab. Over 100,000 of the Tempo badged vehicles were sold in Europe, not only did Tempo approach Jensen to build and sell their design under the Jensen badge, they were also exported under the Tempo badge all around the world. No one knows how many of the Jensen built examples were produced, do you? do you know anyone who worked at the factory while these were in production? Tempo finished production under their name in around 1966 and were taken over by Hanomag which remained until around 1969 when Mercedes Benz took over. If anyone can help me find any examples either in the U.K or Europe it would help my search in the history of these interesting little vehicles. Even then innovation was obviously top of Jensens list, the Tempo had a hydraulic chassis which would raise or lower allowing the body to be changed, being front wheel drive it meant the load height could be minimal, just 22 inches and it had a heater! I have just bought what is believed to be the only two Jensen built Tempo's in the U.K and maybe even the world, do you know of any others? Please, any info at all would be most appreciated.

Simon Holloway
Lincs and S Humberside area group.
Hello Simon,

It's been years since you told us in the forum about buying two Jensen Tempo's. Did you ever start restoring one, and if so How is the project progressing?
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Nice pic of a combi here.
Must have seemed very stylish at the time.
Looks better than the VW.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aceanorak/ ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's where that pic came from:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aceanorak/ ... 829448736/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

Here is the link to a special "Commercial vehicle" edition of Het Jensen Journaal in Holland. http://eu.data.smic.nl.s3.amazonaws.com ... 3949287236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will take a while to open as it is a large file.
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

owen

Post by owen »

Just to update this thread, I have now purchased the two Jensen tempos
that are the subject of this thread, I will begin the restoration in the next
Few weeks, I will keep all interested parties up to speed on the progress

All the best Owen
Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

owen wrote:Just to update this thread, I have now purchased the two Jensen tempos
that are the subject of this thread, I will begin the restoration in the next
Few weeks, I will keep all interested parties up to speed on the progress

All the best Owen
Good on you Owen! The Jensen Tempo thusfar has been a very underrated part in Jensen history. Please post photos of both how they are now. Many forum members in Holland and Germany will offer help with your projects no doubt!
Han Kamp The Netherlands

owen

Post by owen »

Thank you, I post some photos very soon I have a donor tempo being collected on Sunday from Belgium.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

This is exciting news for "completeists" who are keen to see the whole range of Jensen products. Very brave of you to restore these ugly vans when you could be spending the time and money on an exciting Interceptor, but it is appreciated!
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Keith

Post by Keith »

VFK44 wrote: Very brave of you to restore these ugly vans when you could be spending the time and money on an exciting Interceptor, but it is appreciated!
I think "damning with faint praise" is the expression here Stephen, perhaps you could update us with the restoration of your own car?

To Owen: fantastic project! I cannot wait to see your progress.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Not intended that way! But it costs the same to restore an ugly (come on, we know it is, and that is part of its appeal) commercial as a sleek sports car, and it will only be appreciated by the cognescenti. That's why 90% of classic cars on the road are the more desirable versions, with the plain models we remember from our childhoods unfortunately fading away. Hooray for the true enthusiasts who buck the trend.
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “General Discussion”