Understanding the 1972 Models

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
ironman2024

Understanding the 1972 Models

Post by ironman2024 »

Good Moring Everyone.

I am new to this and sorry for the long story to get to my point.
Myself and my son are looking to buy a decent muscle car to rebuild, and when we started looking, we went for the obvious one, the ones that was used in the Fast and the Furious Movies.
I came across the Jensen Interceptor and noticed that there is not really a lot that has been rebuild in the past that we could find. Upon doing some research I noticed that there was only a couple of thousands build.
I am not sure of all the history and my stats might be wrong.
So for my questions, we are looking at a 1972 Interceptor to restore. 1st date of reg was 27/11/1972
1. How do I know if it is a Mk3 or a SP.? the Motor and gearbox would require a proper overall.
2. Can i fit a "sixpack" Carb to the Current Engine?
3. Where can I find a "SixPack" Carb if there is any available
if there is anybody who can give me more info regarding these Cars and my questions it will be highly appreciated

Thank you
Richard_2

Re: Understanding the 1972 Models

Post by Richard_2 »

The JOC website gives a lot of information on the cars and models joc.org.uk

The chassis number will tell you if it is a SP or Mk III

Six packs are available from summit racing and can be fitted to any 440 engine, but a different cam is required or the outers will not open. The SP also has a higher compression ratio.
Richard Fischer
Jensen SP
ironman2024

Post by ironman2024 »

Thank you for your reply Richard.
I did read on the website and the history about them, but didnt get the answers I was looking for. I will have to take a look and do a search based on the engine number.
Thank you for your feedback
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi

Based on the first registered date the Chassis No is likely to be circa 136/8017
If the first three numbers are 131 or 138 then it is an original SP car and should be badged accordingly

If you can confirm the Chassis No, I can confirm the original engine number which would have been fitted

Regards

Jim Smith
JOC Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
DPP

Post by DPP »

Both the 383 & 440 engines can be built from standard to extreme with or without a six pack.

There are many parts available for these engines.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

SP have lower engine mounts on the two chassis rails to lower the engine. If you convert an Interceptor to SP you have to weld in these lower mounts, otherwise the carbs and air filter are too high and you can not close the bonnet.
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)

Return to “General Discussion”