Anyone else getting phishing JOC specific emails?

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Mark1Stu

Anyone else getting phishing JOC specific emails?

Post by Mark1Stu »

Over the last few months I’ve had a number of phishing emails from JOC named people, namely: John Lane, Helen Newby and a John Waddington. The email contains a brief descriptor such as under the heading of ‘pics’ the comment ‘you’ll remember these..’ and a web link….which I clearly haven’t clicked on.

Anyone else received similar, either In Box or Junk folder?
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Re: Anyone else getting phishing JOC specific emails?

Post by VFK44 »

Not me, only on Facebook from a "Kees".

The not-really-Kees was keen that I should submit my details to "the Lions Club" to get a payout, which prompted a long surreal conversation where I pretended to think that he was talking about real lions.

Eventually, he wrote in exasperation "No, this is for a grant".

As you can imagine, I replied, "Oh, you want my friend Grant, who knows all about Rostyles and Mk2 steering wheels". Haven't heard from them since.

Thanks for the tip off about the phishing.

Stephen
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
David Devine

Post by David Devine »

Hi Stuart

Got one supposably from Chris read this weekend.

Dave
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Nothing here.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

Yes at infrequent intervals messages as you indicated. I just delete them as obviously rubbish.
John
Helen

Post by Helen »

Good morning,
I am concerned that you are getting emails in my name and hope this doesn't mean I've been hacked. I haven't noticed anything untoward and in fact my problem is not receiving emails from genuine joc.org adresses on hotmail.
Helen Newby
J-H II/FF II
kees

Post by kees »

Being hacked if you are on Facebook is fairly common and impossible to put right.
People do get emails in my name from time to time with requests in my name for money, notices in my name that they have won large sums of money but to receive that a certain amount of money has to transferred first to cover costs etc.
I have been unable to do something about it. I even cancelled the FB account, but to no avail.
I just hope nobody will react to these scams.
Kees
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

kees wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:55 pm
I just hope nobody will react to these scams.
Kees
Kees,

It's amazing that some people do react to the 'Send me money and I'll give you millions' scams.

In British Columbia there was a woman who was fooled into believing the scam and she lost her entire life savings of over one hundred thousand dollars.

But here's the really unbelievable part:

Her job was as a financial advisor!

:D :D
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

Helen, you haven't been hacked, these emails don't come from the addresses they purport to, you can check the email headers to see the actual sender address rather than the description.
Not sure whether someone has managed to harvest some emails or someone's mailbox to get the names.
Helen wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:40 am Good morning,
I am concerned that you are getting emails in my name and hope this doesn't mean I've been hacked. I haven't noticed anything untoward and in fact my problem is not receiving emails from genuine joc.org adresses on hotmail.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Grant

Post by Grant »

VFK44 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:28 pm Not me, only on Facebook from a "Kees".

The not-really-Kees was keen that I should submit my details to "the Lions Club" to get a payout, which prompted a long surreal conversation where I pretended to think that he was talking about real lions.

Eventually, he wrote in exasperation "No, this is for a grant".

As you can imagine, I replied, "Oh, you want my friend Grant, who knows all about Rostyles and Mk2 steering wheels". Haven't heard from them since.

Thanks for the tip off about the phishing.

Stephen
I got one from Kees on F.Book about a year ago Stephen, he was telling me about how he was enjoying his early retirement and his investments, I came on here and msg'd Kees to ask him if it was him, I wasn't even friends with him on F.Book, so not sure of the link there, I asked Kees If I could borrow 3 Quid and I never heard from him again either...And that was on here!!Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

IMG_4292.jpeg
IMG_4292.jpeg (271.01 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Example attached - note the obviously false sent from address. From the ones I have received I would guess the names are been taken from a JOC source.
Mark1Stu

Post by Mark1Stu »

Thanks for posting John, and I concur.

Stuart
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Have also had 'JOC' emails phishing for stuff. They're pretty easy to spot as fake, the email address is always something wacky.

But you can have a little bit of fun with these scammers.

I decided to sell a garden shed recently and posted an ad on Gumtr## . Got a response pretty quickly after it went live:

Are you OK if I organise shipping right from your door to mine? Nothing will leave your home before payment is made (Company name:Zoom.2U, Location:Glenroy).

(Glenroy is in Victoria, I am in WA. It's about 10 days drive from here)

My reply:

Sure

Send me a gigantic, self addressed stamped envelope and I’ll post it to you

No answer...

The second scammer advised that they were holding full payment for the shed from 'Hernando' in Manila (the Philippines) and all I had to do was send them my account details and password and they would put the money into my account. How nice of them. Quite how he would then get the pile of steel and bolts after that was a tad uncertain.

I'm surprised people are taken in by these scams but i guess if they send out 1,000 emails and get 1-2 hits it's worthwhile.
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

PS - another fun way to ruin a scammers day is NOT to hang up on them.

You can tell they're from a call centre by the longish pause that happens between when you answer the call and when someone comes on the line. Their software allocates the call to one of their staff only when it thinks they have a live bunny on the other end. So stay on the line and when you get connected to an operator say something like 'That sounds really interesting, please tell me more' in an excited tone.

Then quietly put the phone down somewhere and come back to it later. By the time they realise you're not there, you've wasted 5 mins of their time plus the cost of a call. If we all did this their systems would clog up and they (might) go out of bizness.

After they hang up on you, don't forget to add their number to the 'blocked callers' list on your phone. Do this with emails too, and if you are really feeling bored and idle, have their email address added to the list of phishers 'n scammers that most ISP maintain. It doesn't always work but I've found it reduces the volume considerably.

I have also (sadly) stopped giving donations to charity via their websites. Even after finding and ticking the 'I do not consent...' box, my email address and phone number invariably get on-sold and I get swamped by call centres flogging all sorts of stuff or looking for more money.
Chris L
J-H Mk1 11327
GT 30305
Perth, Australia

Return to “General Discussion”