Check your fuel tank inlet hose

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
DPP

Check your fuel tank inlet hose

Post by DPP »

There is much written about checking your fuel hose and replacing with good quality ethanol resistant pipes but how many people check the fuel inlet pipe from filler cap to tank.
I have found the same thing on almost every car Ive looked at recently, many of which are very nice cars that have been maintained and some of the hoses are relatively new.

On and Interceptor its only a £20 part and very easy to change for someone with only a few tools and basic knowledge.

Here are some photos of what I keep finding.

IMG_0864.jpeg
IMG_0864.jpeg (335.59 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Attachments
IMG_0865.jpeg
IMG_0865.jpeg (315.67 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Kevin Birch

Re: Check your fuel tank inlet hose

Post by Kevin Birch »

Good call Dave, I will check mine now.

Another hose which gets overlooked is the rear brake hose from the body to the axle, I changed mine a few years back when trying to undo it, the rubber just fell out of the crimped metal union, although it didn't look that rusty :shock:
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

This is one of the reasons not having an annual MOT is so stupid, with a bit of luck the tester will notice cracked and damaged hoses.
Just before Christmas a Jensen owner was telling me he wont have an MOT because he does not want them to find anything it might fail on :shock: I explained if they do it was only for safety but he still reckoned it was a waist of money. Best £50 you can spend in my opinion.
JOC official Lightning engineer
DPP

Post by DPP »

Youre right with the MOT Steve, I take my car every year and it also looks good for the online history should you ever come to sell.

Its all well and good owners saying they check their cars themselves but how many really do it properly, I have only ever had 1 car on my ramp that didnt need something serious attending to. Also then with a good inspection you will find perished hoses and worn vee belts and many other things that would not fail an MOT but would ruin your day out sat at the side of the road waiting for recovery if not attended to.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

I too am a big fan of the MOT, a very cheap way of a fesh pair of eyes look over the car irrespective of how good one’s regular mechanic is. However I have never seen MOT advisories on hoses or belts either on my cars over the years or any i have ever looked at. Something one checks oneself or get one’s regular garage to check on the service.

I have never bought any classic car in the last 35 years that did not have a backlog of maintenance, and sometimes more serious problems, although represented otherwise.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

My MOT tester allows to me to be under the car while he is doing his inspection. Looking at a car from a different angle will often highlight something that is not obvious.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I worked in the oil industry all my working life and from experience am no fan of Ethanol.
Ethanol dosed in small amounts into LPG sections in oil refinery to take advantage of its hydroscopic properties. Great for water separation and preventing water crystallisation however comes with its own problems.
Useful in industry for water absorption, but not in car petrol tank as it will hold water and tends to layer out in bottom of petrol tank. Just where you don’t want water loitering.
Also Ethanol will decompose to ethanoic acid (acetic acid) in the presence of oxygen which reduces its fuel properties and will increase metal and alloy corrosion.
Ethanol has a number of negative effects on rubber components
1. Loss of flexibility (stiffening)
2. Embrittlement
3. Swelling
So yes check your rubber and avoid E10. Also drain tank if you're expecting to not use car for long time. Also adding anti Ethanol addatives like Stabil may help. Certainly wont do any harm.

Return to “General Discussion”