Spring Weekend 2024 - April 5th to 7th

Post advance news of events you will be attending
kees

Re: Spring Weekend 2024 - April 5th to 7th

Post by kees »

Hotel booked from Thursday evening to Sunday morning. We will travel from Heerjansdam to Calais by the quickest way, Channel tunnel and from Folkestone we will follow the secondary and back roads to Rye where we will stay in the Mermaid Inn after having spent our wedding night there 50 years ago, then Hever Castle, Horsham, Petworth, South Downs, some hotel in the New Forest, Lyme Regis and to the hotel in Sidmouth, about 775km.
J-H MkII, 1974
owner of a J-H since 1977
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

I would have thought the overnight ferry to Harwich would be a more leisurely crossing, then a gentle wander down from Harwich to Rye during the day. Admittedly you'd need to use the Dartford crossing but that wouldn't be too bad during the daytime.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
kees

Post by kees »

Takes too much time as we can only depart from home on the Tuesday morning. It is also a lot more expensive, even considering the save on petrol. Anyway, the Dartford tunnel and M25 during anytime of the day is not something I enjoy. Very boring.
J-H MkII, 1974
kees

Post by kees »

The total driving distance to Rye is actually very similar on both routes, I just discovered. So no saving on petrol if I would travel H.v.H.-Harwich.
J-H MkII, 1974
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

kees wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:51 am Takes too much time as we can only depart from home on the Tuesday morning. It is also a lot more expensive, even considering the save on petrol. Anyway, the Dartford tunnel and M25 during anytime of the day is not something I enjoy. Very boring.

I would have suggested an overnight crossing. You don't have to use the M25 at all, take a leisurely wander down through Essex to Thurrock, nip over the river and then wander down through Kent. Going north to south it's the Queen Elizabeth bridge, not the tunnel, which is not part of the M25 and there are junctions either side that allow non-motorway traffic to use the bridge across the river. Anyway, was just a suggestion to avoid the Belgian motorways which are worse than the M25 (in my opinion).
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
kees

Post by kees »

Chris,
Thanks for the suggestion. Forgot there is a bridge now. Used the tunnel a few times in the early seventies when we lived in London and Anne Marie worked in the Sydenham Childrens Hospital. When we drove to the Netherlands to visit relatives or friends, it was either through Harwich-H.v.H. via the Dartford Tunnel or Sheerness-Vlissingen. I worked in Harlow for BOC-Aviation at the time and used the Blackwell Tunnel or London Bridge.

There is not much between Essex and East Kent. Both have a multitude of beautiful locations, gardens, villages, houses etc.

If sailing or taking the train from Duinkerken or Calais, I usually take the West passage from Bergen op Zoom to Zelzate through the harbor area of Antwerpen. I hardly ever encounter very heavy traffic on this route.
J-H MkII, 1974
zacmarshall

Post by zacmarshall »

For anyone that read Karan's chairman bit in the magazine, the Spring Weekend is at Sidmouth in Devon, not in Cornwall :-)

Surprised John Pym hasn't commented :-)

We have 17 rooms, 30 people attending so far, space still available but please contact me asap.
C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Pymmie

Post by Pymmie »

zacmarshall wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:26 am For anyone that read Karan's chairman bit in the magazine, the Spring Weekend is at Sidmouth in Devon, not in Cornwall :-)

Surprised John Pym hasn't commented :-)
Oh dear !

Happy to advise on how a proper Cream Tea is made …

Will catch up with everyone over the weekend

John P
Previous Jensen Owner 2010-2022 (128/4451)

Understeer - Hitting the fence with the front of the car
Oversteer - Hitting the fence with the rear of the car
Horsepower -How fast you hit the fence
Torque - How far you take the fence with you
kees

Post by kees »

We thoroughly enjoyed the weekend at the excellent Hunter's Moon Hotel. Really a great place to be, in beautiful surroundings, well maintained, very good food, friendly, easy going and helpful staff and of course a fantastic Jensen crowd. A real credit to Zac and his team. A big thank you!!

We got home safely yesterday evening after a rather unpleasant journey over the UK roads. I have seen only very few stretches of decent road surface. Literary hundreds of large potholes and very bumpy road surfaces, even on the main roads. I have been travelling in the UK since the 1970s, but never saw the roads in such a bad condition.
J-H MkII, 1974
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Oh dear, I had hoped that the roads might have improved in the UK over the last 5 months since I've been in Australia but it seems it is not the case.
They were absolutely disgraceful when I left, so I can't begin to imagine how bad they are now :(
Sorry you had to endure them Kees.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Stuartjensen
JOC International Weekend Organiser

Post by Stuartjensen »

More thanks and appreciation for all Zac's efforts, excellent hotel and great food. Good to catch up at the beginning of an epic Jensen year :D

Gill and I seized the oportunity to cross to Brittany, taking the long crossing during Storm Kathleen was not the best move in retrospect :(

Roll on the Swiss meeting, International Meeting in the Black Forest, Le Mans, the 541 weekend and Dutch weekend. Phew!
Stuart Allan
Jensen Healey Owner for four decades
Now an SP as well
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

kees wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:09 pm Literary hundreds of large potholes and very bumpy road surfaces, even on the main road
The one consolation is that when the work is finally done, British workers (possibly also throughout the world) do a REALLY good job. I'm not talking about the temporary bodge filling, I'm talking about the master craftsman skills in tarmac, where the seams are almost undetectable and the surface is completely smooth and expertly cambered. How they manage to do that in the conditions they work under amazes me. If only they didn't have a 20 year backlog.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex

Return to “Events”