1987 S4 Int convertible on Car and Classic auction site

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
Peter Rothery

1987 S4 Int convertible on Car and Classic auction site

Post by Peter Rothery »

A rare beast at an ambitious price....

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1668116
1987-jensen-interceptor-6576d47d17e79.jpg
1987-jensen-interceptor-6576d47d17e79.jpg (422.16 KiB) Viewed 862 times
slotcarone

Re: 1987 S4 Int convertible on Car and Classic auction site

Post by slotcarone »

Of course these cars should be selling for that amount of money but right now they are not. Big price with very few pictures. Needs to be a total restoration for that money. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
johnw

Post by johnw »

slotcarone wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 am Of course these cars should be selling for that amount of money but right now they are not. Big price with very few pictures. Needs to be a total restoration for that money. :)
Interesting history and a rare car, few owners and good provenance! Difficult markets do bring some special and interesting artefacts to the surface. A bit like a spring tide!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

Rarity, and originality (rather than an expensive restoration) presumably dictate the potential value here.

With such low mileage and limited use, it is disappointing to see a few alignment issues with the rear quarterlights on both sides. Getting this lot aligned must be one of the most time consuming jobs on a convertible....somewhere between 3 hours to 3 days is not unheard of.
qlt left.jpg
qlt left.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 690 times
qlt right.jpg
qlt right.jpg (95.99 KiB) Viewed 690 times
The SUV style Geolandar tyres are presumably a necessity in parts of Denmark but I'm not a fan of the white colour coded wheels.
nem

Post by nem »

If relevant, we in the Danish JOC know the car well. The farther to the present seller was one of the founders of our club back in 2006 and treasurer until his all too early death. The car has to my knowledge been properly cared for in its time in Denmark, and has not been driven during winter (despite what tyres are on).
The car and its owners have in the past participated twice in JOC gatherings in the UK, so some of you might remember seeing it there or at the international meeting when held here in Denmark.
I am not involved in the sale in any way but know the seller well, so if I can be of assistance in any way please be free to ask.
Kind regards,
Niels-Erik Manniche
Former chairman of the Danish JOC
Last edited by nem on Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jensen-Healey II 1974 and Jensen GT 1976 project - both from Sweden
Grant

Post by Grant »

White doesn't do it on these cars does it, they deserve a much richer colour to enhance the beauty of them and with a good body it's got to be metallic in my opinionImage.
When I was at the factory in 1990 there was a Brand-spanking new LHD Convert going out the back door in Yellow that had just been sold, so bloody Gorg but at the cost of £110k I think it was it deserved to be, but the quality just wasn't there with the S4's, I mean for "Original" like this one(maybe it's the colour) the body doesn't look like they shouldImage. As Peter says, those quarter lights can take days to get right, mine did, I spent hours and days getting them correct,..I wonder why this didn't have the Elec Recaro's either, the doors don't look like a good fit either, but I don't think they were on the last cars like this, JPS just didn't get them like Jensen Motors didImage.
Those quarter lights could never have been like that when it left the factory surely, all sortable though..They're so cool Convertibles areImage..Big Money though, not sure he will get anything like it, maybe if it was a minter in Metallic and faultless, but as it is, it just doesn't look attractive to a collector that may possibly want one in his collection with big pockets!.
I don't think it can be, but the lower skirt is maybe dirt..but it does look like its bubbling, but surely not with such low mileage unless it's been stored in the wrong placeImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

G-man, The quality wasn't there with the S4's? How so?
It is quite possible you know more than I, But the only thing I would say which is sort of agreeing, is that they should have been caked in wax-They were not.
That said, mine has a huge mileage (not by me shamefully!) and spent half its time of the year in Switzerland, Bought as a car but maintained everytime by JCCltd even if it had to come here to go back- It has survived still.

Had you bought a SV AMV8 at same time, It would very likey have needed serious help at 10 years old. The XJS would have probably be gone.

The S4's are a funny club, The used and loved are the rare within unicorns. The recaros are correct as far as I can see, I love the add on headrest buffers, not usual, but they were made to your wants more so than any jensen before. Mine has (pity) no door cappings, the chap who ordered it, didn't like them.

Yup, something going on with quarter lights, must be sortable or the roof wouldn't lower.
Despite the hatefull ULEZ, I wish I could secure a S4 conv. The most amazing car I have ever owned, bit under powered compared to dads mk11 but a car you could genuinely use as a car, mine was in period.
If a Ferrari they'd lament on its uber rarity- shame. Its a great car, I wish to own a S4 conv, esp HUE or the Drambie car.

Hope it finds its way to the right home, I'd be proud to be a custodian!
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

I thought white was the cool colour these days? And fairly common in period. As usual, rather slated fir very sortable problems but I’m sure it’ll appeal to someone, maybe in a sunny clime. And everyone’s open to offers. If you did a Mike Brewer and said ‘how about 100? cash? today? ‘Old out yer ‘and . . with a bit of a haggle you might be surprised.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

It seems that 95% of cars on UK roads are black, white, grey or silver. The public are either unimaginative when it comes to committing to anything else or frightened by car dealers that the resale will be too difficult for anything different. White is perfect for warmer climates and a glossy white finish can make a convertible look stunning whether with black, tan or red trim IMHO. Equally nice in darker shades as Grant says. I've had both in my time so can speak from experience!

Commenting on areas that may need to be considered and even improved is not intended to be spiteful but more a reality check for those less familiar with what they are looking at. We could either not comment at all... or just adopt the "emperor's new clothes" attitude....great car, bargain price...go for it!
David Davies

Post by David Davies »

Just a general observation that the good points of a car should in my view be mentioned as well as any potential issues otherwise cars on here quite often can sound like a pig in a poke.

Colour is purely a matter of opinion. While I would not buy a modern car or post war classic in white, there are many who would. If I lived in Dubai I might go for a white car too! On the other hand I own a light cream or ‘white’ pre-tourer and have deliberately kept it that way partly because its the original colour, partly because I think it suits it but others may well prefer something else.
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
Grant

Post by Grant »

Tim SP wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:51 am G-man, The quality wasn't there with the S4's? How so?
Auright TimManImage
Maybe the wong choice of words Tim, ..I don't think the finishing standard of some of the S4's was as good as the early cars, it seemed somewhat a sort of light gradient downhill as the years went by with the models, the door gaps weren't as good, swages lines etc, it was prob more to do with the tooling and not specifically the S4's the later 3's seemed to not be as good as Early/Earlier cars, don't get me wrong..I would have an S4 in a Heart Beat, especially a RHD Interceptor..Oh hang on, there's only 1..so Gimme it now!!Image..Please don't misunderstand me as I love themImage
The bit about the seats Tim, was, I can't see the electric buttons on the seats like your one for example? >>
>>
S4 Convert 1.jpg
S4 Convert 1.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 557 times
============
Look at this one Tim Man..I know you would have seen this pic before anyway but Image >>>
>>
S4 Convert RHD.jpg
S4 Convert RHD.jpg (210.52 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

Grant wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:54 pm Look at this one Tim Man..I know you would have seen this pic before anyway but Image >>>
>>
S4 Convert RHD.jpg
That red one above Grant is so spot on panel wise. What a fantastic photo. It looks really good. It reminds me of going to Cropredy in the 1990s and being gobsmacked. No other cars of that period looked that good, and the build quality looks superb on this period photo of the red one. The brazing and workmanship on E-Type Jags of the early 60s was amazing compared to the 1970s. No excuses for poor quality, but it got lots of series 2 E-Types out there, they were still good cars, in to the hands of enthusiasts but that poor quality was a symptom of a Jaguar's decline under BL.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Grant

Post by Grant »

johnw wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:07 am That red one above Grant is so spot on panel wise. What a fantastic photo. It looks really good. .
I think, or at-least it looks Copper Gold on my computer John, but I don't know..so lovely isn't it :P
There was a Brand-new one in Follets I looked at once in around 1986 maybe, £43K Maroon Colour..but that wasn't a Series 4..So lovelyImage
Another couple of nice bodied ones here John >>
>>
Convertible with series IV wheels.jpg
Convertible with series IV wheels.jpg (120.17 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Convertible Jensen sharp swage lines.jpg
Convertible Jensen sharp swage lines.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage

Return to “Cars For Sale”