Bal Singh's Interceptor III on display this weekend at the Classic Motor Show

Here's where to post photos of your cars. We all want to see your Jensens!
zacmarshall

Bal Singh's Interceptor III on display this weekend at the Classic Motor Show

Post by zacmarshall »

This is Bal Singh's Interceptor III which will be on the JOC Stand in Hall 1 at the Classic Motor Show this weekend.

Model: Jensen Interceptor MK3; 1972
First Registered: 23rd March 1972
Vin/Chassis Number: 128/4529
Engine Type: ‘G’ Series Chrysler V8
Engine Size: 6276 CC / 383 cubic inch
Top Speed: 133 MPH
0-60 MPH: 7.3 Seconds
Awards of Significance:
2023 Jensen Owners Club Concours Event
Winner Best Jensen Overall
Winner Best Jensen Interceptor Variant
Winner Strathcarron Cup

Hampton Court Palace Concours d ’Elegance September 2nd, 2023, Club Trophy
Jensen Owners Club Representative

The Story of BJA 125K
Truly the original ‘gentleman’s express when this car left the Jensen factory in 1972 its peers were the Aston Martin DB6, the Jaguar ‘E’ type and the Bristol 411. Hand built in Birmingham this car had many of the technological features we take for granted now such as ‘air conditioning’, electric windows, quality sound system and a 0-60 Mph time which would still be regarded as fast today; over 50 years after it was first built.

This car was owned by a London physician for the first four years of its life with records showing it was well maintained and serviced. Alas as the world began to modernise and the energy crisis took hold in the mid-1970s sending fuel prices to record highs, a new era of austerity came to pass. In this era there was little room for cars like the Interceptor, it was costly to own with fuel prices high, costs of maintenance, parts, and servicing even higher. BJA 125k suffered very badly, passing from owner to owner, 8 in total and by the time it was acquired by owner number 9 in 1988, Mike Robson, it was on the verge of being scrapped.

The body was rotten through the panels and underside, the once majestic leather interior torn and shredded. The redeeming features were the heart of the car, the engine was strong, starting first time and maintaining a strong ‘throaty’ idle and all the parts and panels were original and straight. It was this that convinced Mr Robson, who founded the ‘Camel Landrover Trophy Museum’, that BJA 125k was worth saving and adding to his collection of high-quality vehicles.

The car was treated to a full restoration in 1989, with each stage documented in a series of photographs. To sort out the major bodywork issues, Mr Robson was able to find a mechanical workshop where the two men who worked there had previously being employed by the Jensen Motor Co. in Birmingham to hand craft the body panels that were fitted to all Jensen models. Each body panel was carefully hand repaired using the traditional techniques such as ‘lead loading’ before being prepared for the paint shop. The original interior was stripped, repaired and connolised whilst a full mechanical and electrical refurbishment was conducted with the objective of maintaining originality as far as possible.

Thirty years later I was fortunate to acquire the car and its used regularly. I focused my attentions to enhancing the mechanicals, with a new Holley carburetor, 4 x original period tyres, electronic ignition, uprated breaks, aluminium radiator, new gaskets all round to rectify age related oil leaks, new brake cylinders, new braided steel fuel lines, original 8 track stereo and a thorough mechanical yearly service by Jensen expert Jim Smith in Stourport. The interior remains excellent, and the paintwork has recently been inspected and areas requiring preventative action have been completed along with a full wheel refurbishment. Its testimony to the quality of the original restoration over 30 years ago that very little has been done to the car since.

On the 25th of June 2023, BJA 125k’s journey was complete when it was received the JOC (Jensen Owners Club) award for Best Interceptor Variant and Best Overall Car at the JOC Concours event in Telford and then going onto represent the JOC in the coveted Concours d ‘Elegance Club Trophy event at Hampton Court Palace in September.

This car was almost scrapped 30 years ago and is highly privileged to represent its family at the NEC classic car show 2023.

C-V8 II 104/2146 CHJ 948B
ex FF II, Interceptor I, II and III, SP, GTs and Healeys. You might say I got the bug....
JOC Member No. 5061
Martin R

Re: Bal Singh's Interceptor III on display this weekend at the Classic Motor Show

Post by Martin R »

A truly great addition the the JOC stand at the NEC 8)
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
Andys77

Re: Bal Singh's Interceptor III on display this weekend at the Classic Motor Show

Post by Andys77 »

Good evening everyone,

I had the pleasure of speaking to a lady on your stand yesterday at the NEC. We had a quick chat about the above vehicle and they told me about the big meeting in Germany next year. I mentioned my sons car (an audi) that was also on display at the NEC. She was

This is going to sound a strange question, but would anyone know who that would have been?
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Hello Andy77, can you describe her at all?
There were a few ladies on the stand, including Helen Newby (petite, drives an FF and a Jensen-Healey) & Raj Mangroo who is our IT and regalia secretary. Her husband Karan is the current Chairman of the JOC and jointly have a couple (or more?) Interceptors!
Do either of those ring a bell?
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Ruth was with the red Interceptor, and she has blonder hair.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Andys77

Post by Andys77 »

Martin R wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:38 pm Hello Andy77, can you describe her at all?
There were a few ladies on the stand, including Helen Newby (petite, drives an FF and a Jensen-Healey) & Raj Mangroo who is our IT and regalia secretary. Her husband Karan is the current Chairman of the JOC and jointly have a couple (or more?) Interceptors!
Do either of those ring a bell?
The lady in question was blonde hair, wearing a red sweat shirt and was stood near the above car.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Ruth seems to be the lady, so perhaps someone in touch with Ruth could let her know that Andys77 appreciated the time she spent chatting on the stand?
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Already done.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

8) 8)
VFK44 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:58 amAlready done.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905

Return to “Members' Cars”