Does matching numbers actually make a difference

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
David Davies

Re: Does matching numbers actually make a difference

Post by David Davies »

Matching numbers may be quite important on some historic rally or race cars, or other historic cars, but not necessarily so.

On most Jensens I don’t think matching numbers affect value much if at all. Jensen engines are a third party commodity mostly widely available - eg Ford V8s, Austins, Chryslers. Certain variants are specific to particular models and I agree it is good to have the right type of engine in the particular car.

The White Lady has a later engine with some modifications. It increases rather than decreases the value in my opinion as they enhance the car and have been well executed. The main things the affecting value of the car are its historically importance and that it has been restored to a phenomenal standard. HL1 had to have a new block in the past due to a conrod going through the block at speed but it does not affect its value as again the car is unique, mostly original spec and has had the most fantastic restoration.

The three German CV8s have their engines mixed up, it does not matter a jot in my view. It’s interesting to hear the story of how it happened though. What’s important is how they run and the condition of the cars.

On paint and patina it all depends what you are starting with. Quite often one has a mish mash of badly executed paint jobs or upholstery ripped beyond repair. Where a car has truly original paint in time warp condition then that is something special worth preserving - there’s an original green Interceptor on the market like that. Original interiors are also nice to preserve if possible, as I see very few that are correctly restored. It’s a little bit like whether one preserves the patina on an antique table or just strips and refinishes to make it ‘look like new’.

On most Interceptors, CV8s and 541s an original engine maybe nice to have but if it had to be changed it does not impact the value in my view
Jensen S-Type Tourer 1938 S44
Alvis Speed 25 SC Charlesworth Saloon 1938
Mercedes CL 600 V12 2001
Used to own 1938 S-Type Tourer S34, CV8 MkII 104/2229 and CV8 MkIII 112/2457
Author of Jensen: The Surviving 3 1/2 & 4 1/4 Litre Cars
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

The three German CV8s
Our C-V8 has pointed out that she is still through and through British, but now happens to reside in Switzerland, but has indeed spent over 40 years in Germany- where she was exceedingly well looked after by Hartmut, and briefly by Joerg (who still to this day claims that she tried to kill him).
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

My 541 "matching numbers" engine lies in a shed somewhere at Bridge Classics.

They have kindly offered to sell it back to me, but I presume it was swapped out for a good reason, and 30 years of lying around cannot have improved it. It would be nice to have around, just for completeness, but I cannot begin to imagine the reaction of my wife if I decided to bring back several hundredweight of oily dead engine and place it under a tarpaulin in the garden.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

TOP TIP

Annoy your wife even more than usual by turning an old car engine into a coffee table and putting it on display in the centre of your living room.
20230824_051351.jpg
20230824_051351.jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 444 times
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

There's room for storing 8 bottles of Prosecco, so I might be forgiven.
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Apparently it does to a significant number of people. The Jensen group are much different in their ideology across the board with changes to the originality I like that and took the liberty to add a 6 Pack to my car and changed the rear end sheet metal and tail lamps like some do with front air dams or hood scoops. The buyers are fewer when originality occurs as well as the price may differ when this occurs. RacerJoe
johnw

Post by johnw »

RacerJoe that was your 727th post! Talk about matching numbers!
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
sespie

Post by sespie »

Years ago, a bloke here had a late 50s or early 60s Ferrari factory racing car. It had come down for the summer racing season and was left here, passing through owners who made various modifications. By the time he got it, I think it had a Chev V8 engine and gearbox in it. He set about searching for the original V12 and box, which had been used in power boat racing for a while and then "lost". He eventually succeeded in his search and had them refitted in the car (plus a bit of other restoration, as far as he could afford).
Instantly, the car became uninsurable and undriveable due to its new "matching numbers" value. So it was either loan it to a museum or sell it.
Simon
1974 Interceptor III
1973 Lotus Europa Special
1979 Rover 3500
Peter Rothery

Post by Peter Rothery »

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctions/ ... uto-g2dlP4
Derek Chapman's old CV8. Later non original engine block as recorded in the log book (and provided by my goodself as I recall). Does it really matter?
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

The reference to the statement matching numbers usually refers to engine number matching car number. To the purist matching numbers includes all numbers hood number deck lid glove box doors all number. Matching numbers autocrats how original the car is to its original production A car can be modified from originality of production but still have matching numbers. My car has matching numbers but has been modified to my personal preference So is the real question possibly matching numbers with no modifications to originality I believe most people think of matching numbers is no modifications to origjinaly or changes. In some cases if the changes are documented with dealership verification it is accepted by the purist. This is a touchy subject but is always controlled by the prospective buyer if the car is for sale. One more post John. Thanks for following

Return to “General Discussion”