alternator V-belt

Mopar Big Block Talk
Dion

alternator V-belt

Post by Dion »

20230516_170511.jpg
20230516_170511.jpg (285.62 KiB) Viewed 473 times

My Interceptor has the Mitsubishi alternator, and currently wears a "Pirelli SPZ 1147 LP 1160 LA" belt.
1147 would be the length but why 1160? And what would AP and LA mean?

When I googled this I came across this webshop: vbeltshop.com. My belt probably is under Metric V Belts / Metric SPZ Belts.

What replacement belt would be good? I guess the Mitsubishi alternator may have a metric pulley/groove whereas the Chrysler V8 probably has a "Classic V Belt".

What belt width would be best for the engine pulley?
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
slotcarone

Re: alternator V-belt

Post by slotcarone »

That fan pulley is designed for a wider belt but the narrow belt should also work. I would take that one off and go to any auto parts store and have them match it up. Simple. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Grant

Post by Grant »

I've been down this road Dion, if you find a good anorak Alternator man you should be able to find a single pulley with a wide belt groove for it..I managed to find one at an Alternator rebuild place :wink:
Or take your old pulley from you old Alternator and modify it to fit you Mitsu one, then it will be as it should beImage
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

It looks like you have a 383 and these originally had a 13mm belt. The 13mm belt does sit a bit high in a Mitsubishi Alternator pulley but if a lot of tension is put on the belt it is usually OK. The problem is if you have working AC as this puts extra load on one belt and they can slip.
Part of the problem is an Alternator needs 1hp for every 10amps generated approx, if you put a high demand on the system potentialy you are asking the belt to drive 9hp and another 3hp with AC.
There is no exact belt to use as they can be anything from 1475mm ro 1550.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Pretty sure the car in the pics does not have AC. The belt will be fine as is. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

To me, it looks as though the alternator is not correctly aligned with the water pump, it seems to be set tooo far back, which will not be helping.
Dion

Post by Dion »

No AC indeed (car is a Mk1).
The belt is fairly tight or it would shreeek.
Did not think of replacing the pulley with the one from the original alternator!
Thanks for all suggestions and tips.
The future ain’t what it used to be.

Interceptor Mk1 LHD & RHD
GT LHD
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Alternator pulleys typically do not interchange from one manufacturer to another. You are trying to fix something that is not broken here. Like I said in my original post if you just replace the current belt with a new one you should have no problems as that size single belt is adequate to drive the alternator and the water pump. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Grant

Post by Grant »

slotcarone wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:09 am Alternator pulleys typically do not interchange from one manufacturer to another. You are trying to fix something that is not broken here. Like I said in my original post if you just replace the current belt with a new one you should have no problems as that size single belt is adequate to drive the alternator and the water pump. :)
But it's correct to have the same size "V" pulleys on the ancillaries Mike, the narrow belt on the wide pulley isn't correct really :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

That wide pulley on the water pump is a v shape and the narrow belt will work as well just sitting lower in the v groove. The angle of the v is the same either way. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
thomaslk

Post by thomaslk »

Dion wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:33 pm
My Interceptor has the Mitsubishi alternator, and currently wears a "Pirelli SPZ 1147 LP 1160 LA" belt.
1147 would be the length but why 1160? And what would AP and LA mean?
To give you a concrete answer - LP means „length on pitch“ and is a kind of „effective length“. This length can not be measured on the sample belt but calculated knowing the inner and outer circumference as well as the belt profile.
LA means outer lenght („Länge Aussen“ in German) and can be measured on the outer circumference of the belt.
rgds
Thomas
Int Mk III
2211-1490
DPP

Post by DPP »

jvcarrier wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:15 am To me, it looks as though the alternator is not correctly aligned with the water pump, it seems to be set tooo far back, which will not be helping.
John has pointed you in the right direction, sort this first then see where you are.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”