440 ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION JENSEN ?

Mopar Big Block Talk
StevenLA

440 ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION JENSEN ?

Post by StevenLA »

Hi Guys,

I bought this 440 engine and transmission three years ago.

We took it out of storage yesterday and here are the numbers stamped on
the engine block.

The valve covers are JENSEN and were refinished like new ones and are in storage.

The numbers 3698630 1973 1978 400 series big block are found on the Mopar V8 website.

Does anybody know what year or model Jensen this engine and trans came from originally?

Anyway, just wanted to share it.

Cheers Steven.
Attachments
thumbnail (35).jpg
thumbnail (35).jpg (155.96 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
thumbnail (33).jpg
thumbnail (33).jpg (182.9 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
thumbnail (6).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg (122.88 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg (138.36 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
slotcarone

Re: 440 ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION JENSEN ?

Post by slotcarone »

You have to look at the pad under the AC compressor and you will find the Jensen numbers. With that oil filter attached to the oil pump it was not mounted in an interceptor. My guess it came from a Dodge truck. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Grant

Post by Grant »

If it is a 400 block Steven it was never fitted in any of the Jensens, but..the 400 block is real good block, all low compression as standard but have a bigger diameter pistons/bores.capacity than a 440 and short stroke like a 383..these are what most of the hot rodders/drag-strip merchants want to build up from, we have just built one for my Interceptor with 10.5 comp, alloy heads etc, we got 400hp out of it and 430FtLbs of torque..brilliant engines, but not much good as stock engines, as SlotCar says..from a truck probably..but wern't they all originally :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
johnw

Post by johnw »

The block number, 4th pic, corresponds to a 440 according to a Mopar website (it says 440 in the middle). Not recently out of a Jensen thanks Slotcarone. Nice paint. Does anyone recognise what the heat shield/warm air intake on the left manifold is off?
Looks like it has a Thermoquad on, probably original. The exact model number on that should give a clue as to the original application for that carb at least.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your terrific comments!

JENSEN valve covers came with the engine and were on that engine and then re-done, photos later from my storage.
The orange ones were placed there afterward when we picked up the engine.

But as said, with the oil filter at the front of the engine it would not fit in an MK3 as it is right now
and would have to be modified and moved to the correct place??

But it could be placed in my 74 MK3 that sadly came without the original engine and transmission right?

It looks like a nice clean original engine!

THANKS AGAIN, GUYS.

Cheers Steven.
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Steven you will have to get the Interceptor oil pump cover plate that serves as the outlet for the remote oil filter. You should be able to get these parts as well as the remote filter assembly from a junked car. You can buy replacement hoses from the Jensen suppliers. The engine will fit with the correct mounts. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
StevenLA

Post by StevenLA »

Thanks, Slotcarone!!!
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi John

Re your comment on the heat shield/warm air intake on the left hand side, i had one of these fitted to my engine which i cleaned and repainted with heat resisting silver paint
However i never refitted it to the car but have retained it
I purchased my car in 1978 and this appeared to be an original fitment
Will try to take a photo and post again
My car was also fitted with a thermalquad carb which i replaced with an Edelbrock - but have retained the original carb and air filter with the intention of overhauling and retaining with my car

Regards

Jim Smith
JOC Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
johnw

Post by johnw »

Ok, so that must feed into the snorkel with the flap. One option with this 440 is that someone pinched the remote oil filter setup and fitted their old one to stop dirt getting in. Checking the block in the area Jensen stamp numbers is the only way to know for sure.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”