Richard Calver

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
colin7673
now normal...

Richard Calver

Post by colin7673 »

RICHARD CALVER
VERY SAD NEWS, BAD NEWS.
It is with deep sadness we announce that Jensen icon and author Richard Calver has died.
Known to many of us as Dickie, the worldwide Jensen community will be in deep shock at the news of Richard’s tragic death. His contribution to the preservation of Jensen history will remain unequaled.
On behalf of New Zealand Jensen owners, The Jensen Owners Club - UK and Europe - We extend condolences to Australian JCCA members grieving the loss of the legendary Richard Calver.
Richard Calver was a huge personality. He had a distinguished career as a diplomat in Iraq and the Balkans, later pursuing his passions as an author during his retirement. Most of all, he was a good bloke and loyal friend.
He will be missed greatly.

Posted from Facebook.

RIP Richard.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
shaun

Re: Richard Calver

Post by shaun »

Just seen the news.
Very sad. Will be deeply missed.
All Jensen owners owe a massive thank you to Richard for his dedication to establishing the history and life of our cars over the years.
RIP Richard Calver
Shaun Winfield

Mk 3 Blue
2240/9847
JOC member no. 8822
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

What sad news. He will indeed be sorely missed- for his incredible knowledge, his humour, and his helpfulness...
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

This is very sad news. I have never met Richard but I feel as if I knew him as there is so much in my house on Jensen that he produced. Our club shall forever be grateful to Richard for his dedication, history and promotion of our marque. His works will continue to be a first point of call and reference for many.

Rest In Peace Richard.
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

I am so sad. Dickie was a good friend of mine and stayed at my house many times. He was not a person you could ever really know. He was mostly a watcher and listener in keeping with his work history. He loved a glass or two of "good" red. He was hard to read but good company. I shall miss him. Kenny38
nrb993

Post by nrb993 »

Really sad, Richard has communicated with me for years and last few years quite regularly with technical questions and only recently in last month with help on the service bullitins where he was always many steps ahead and I was asking him for plans to update us with a new JENSEN book.

Richard has been incredible to our knowledge on Jensens that we were never able to see :(

I will mourn his loss and feel very sad as we protect the future of JENSEN without him :cry:

Neil
:D JOC Interceptor Registrar 8)
Restoring JH2
Interceptor MK III 'H' series - yellow
Used to own FFII - 127/223 :lol:
-- JOC 5114 --
Grant

Post by Grant »

This is so so sad, what a shock, a huge massive loss for someone who gained so much knowledge if not everything of the marque we all love, terrible :cry: .
Condolences to all that knew him.
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Absolutely terrible news.
I first met Richard soon after I bought my first Interceptor back in 2006 & numerous times since, including at his home in Canberra when I bought several books and saw his cars.
I later met him at various JCCA events (Jensen Car Club of Australia) and again in the UK and I always enjoyed his dry sense of humour.
Rest In Peace Dickie.
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
garyc

Post by garyc »

Very sad news
Condolences to all his family and friends
RIP Richard
Garyc
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

That is awful news.

I only referred to his work yesterday night on Facebook.

Very sad indeed to read this.
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

It is hard to overstate the importance of Richard Calver to our marque.

His work in codifying the facts about Jensen has raised the profile of the company throughout the world of cars.

To discover that, in addition, he had a wicked sense of humour was a welcome bonus. He was also doing a magnificent job of restoring his pre-war Jensen.

As they say in Australia, "Vale, Richard".
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

I only met Dick a few times, he was truly dedicated to Jensen. I think we were lucky to have had such an ambassador. He was always there to help and advise. Thank you Richard Calver for all you have done for the Jensen Motor company, he will be missed.
Last edited by Frankoid on Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnw

Post by johnw »

I remember Richard as ever helpful, providing us continuous support on Jensen history at the highest level on an ongoing basis, always a timely reply to any query and a pointer to a reference source or specific car if required. His humour, enthusiasm and expert knowledge were always there in the reply. In his own words, his about me page is an interesting read, last updated 2021: http://richardcalver.com/aboutme.htm

Condolences to all his family and friends which surely must include a good number in the extended Jensen community. We are going to have to pull together look after each other.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
Basil McKinley

Post by Basil McKinley »

Terrible news. Richard’s passing is a great loss and he will be sorely missed. It was a privilege to have known him and to have worked with him on the JCCA Committee,
Basil McKinley
1970 Interceptor MkII 123/3798
1973 JH MkI 1141/12698
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Very sad news
His work has been invaluable in my limited ongoing research
Rest in Peace

Jim Smith
Member No 1639

Return to “General Discussion”