NEC CLASSIC CAR SHOW 11-13 NOVEMBER 2022

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Series3Jensen

Re: NEC CLASSIC CAR SHOW 11-13 NOVEMBER 2022

Post by Series3Jensen »

Chris

Thank you for confirming that there is no formal process for selecting cars

With respect, it would therefore appear that unless you are on first name terms with Committee Members or organisers, you will have no opportunity to show your car
That is a shame, as i am sure that there are may Jensen Owners out there would love to display and talk about their car and their ownership

I for one certainly would and when i was asked by Lancaster Insurance to display my car on the Pride of Ownership stand at the NEC in November 2016, the three day experience was both exhausting and an absolute pleasure and the comments that i received from the public were overwhelming
I only know a little about Jensen's but i remain passionate about my car after almost 44 years ownership - particularly as it lanquished off the road for more than 30 years
The fact that i allowed many people to sit in the car - all of who were incredibly respectful of it - added to my experience and i certainly felt it significantly promoted just one model of our cars

An experience that i will look to repeat - but sadly probably not on the JOC Stand

I will now look forward to attending this years NEC Show - which was what this post was primarily about

Kind regards

Jim Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

Series3Jensen wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:31 pm
With respect, it would therefore appear that unless you are on first name terms with Committee Members or organisers, you will have no opportunity to show your car.
Apart from one case, the list of previous shows and cars displayed that I provided earlier do not support this assertion. Many are concours winners and are chosen for that reason, not because they are on "first name terms".
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Chris_R wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:28 pm
Series3Jensen wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:31 pm
With respect, it would therefore appear that unless you are on first name terms with Committee Members or organisers, you will have no opportunity to show your car.
Apart from one case, the list of previous shows and cars displayed that I provided earlier do not support this assertion. Many are concours winners and are chosen for that reason, not because they are on "first name terms".
That the problem their Chris, Concours winners .. Or they have just come out of a full body restoration...
There are cars that have traveled many miles to many different countries to promote the mark and the club, but for some reason these cars don't seem to be good enough..
Not everybody wants to see 'Trailer Queens' there are people who like to see cars that are used and kept to a good standard
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Post by Chris_R »

The problem here is we're damned whatever is done. There has only ever been space for 4 cars to go on display at the NEC. It's a thankless task to try to choose what car to display, there will always be someone who would like to have their car there and be disappointed. The point I was answering was the allegation that it's only committee and friends that stand a chance to have their cars there. Since Shaun has been organising the show that has not happened with the exception of Joerg's PW, the White Lady car and H1, all of them significant cars in the history of Jensen. That's 3 out the 16 that have been displayed since 2017. All the others have come for other reasons. What might have happened before that is nothing to do with the current organiser. While some concours winners have been fresh out of high end restorations many are not.
The theme this year will be Healey's and C-V8s for their anniversaries but we recently had our ears bashed (by an Interceptor owner) for not including an Interceptor which "is what the public want to see". We can't win.
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

I can fully understand what Chris wrote.

As the main organiser of the JOC stand at Techno Classica in Essen every year I also have the same task to select. In contradiction to the UK we have a very limited number of owners available who are able and willing to show their cars. This year we were very lucky to get a large space but to fill it with 5 cars also included a lot talking to owners and finding the right cars.

If you are willing to show your car, whatever state it is in, let the organisers know. I for example try to have a list of potential cars and owners and depending on the theme of the stand would call them and have their cars shown. The organisers can only choose cars that they are aware of. So tell them!

And if the theme is C-V8 and Healeys, the cars shown will be Healeys and C-V8s. Next year it's Interceptors again (or 541s, of SPs, of Pre-War, or ...) - it's as easy as that.
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
Bob Heydon

Post by Bob Heydon »

Hello,

By way of introduction I am the JOC Jensen-Healey Registrar.

For this years NEC show, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Jensen-Healey I was asked by Shaun to enquire if knew of any Jensen-Healey owners that would like to display their car on the stand. I asked the question in the JOC magazine and have to date received response from 4 members of the club, 3 of which have never displayed their car at the show before.

I believe I'll have room for 2 cars, perhaps even 3 so hopefully we'll have cars displayed that have not been displayed at a major national show before.
Rob Heydon
J-H and GT Registrar
JH MK1 11988
JH Mk2 16813
1950 LE Vellocette Mk1
JOC 2059
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

I fully understand Chris's predicament, it is hard to please people, and over the past 8 years I've owned my car, I have thought the JOC stand has been very good, with a varied selection of the marque. Certainly not all trailer queens, mine has been on the stand twice, warts and all, but my only complaint was last year and I raised it then, was that none of the vehicles were allowed to have the doors or bonnets open, apart from the PW, which diminishes the public experience.
As chair of my local club, I have experienced the difficulty in choosing cars for a show, and also getting people to man the stand, as it is exhausting, and it is always the same few that volunteer.
So please respect the choices made as it is not a 5 minute task, and think about getting involved as it is enjoyable even if hard work. I'm sure this year's stand will be exciting and as good as previous years, ( no pressure there then Eddie)
I will put my hand up to being one of the people saying an Interceptor should be on the stand as it is what the public expect, but understand the club is trying to promote the CV8 & Healey this year, and rightly so.
I would love a truck on the stand, but that's another can of worms!!
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Kevin

It is interesting to note that you have been fortunate enough to display your car at the NEC in 11.2016 and 11.2019
I also recognise that your car is a used condition - not a trailer queen

I still find it surprising that the Club do not invite all Owner who would like to show their car to put forward their interest
If there is a large interest then Owners will see that and the Committee have to make a decision on the limited display space that they have

It would also be good if the Committee were to ask for different volunteer member to assist with manning the stand each day - or perhaps they already do that and i have not picked up on it

Like you, i do like to see an Interceptor on the Stand as it is perhaps the model that many people link to the Marque
This year we have a very important Anniversary for both the CV8 and Healey and in the circumstances it is appropriate that they take the centre stage

I also thought that the Stand last year was excellent but was also disappointed that the cars were locked
Were no opening bonnets and locked cars a pre-requisite of the Organisers of a decision by the Jensen Car owners

From my experience in displaying my car on the Pride of Ownership Stand at the Nec in November 2016, i was overwhelmed at the interest the public took in my car
The fact that the bonnet was open was a big draw - although i probably closed it 100 times for the public to take photos
The fact that i also left the windows open and invited people to open a door, particularly if they were showing a keen interest, also in my view made them much more involved
I was impressed in how careful everyone was with the car and my offer to allow interested people to sit in the car was welcomed and greatly appreciated
The fact that my car still has the original leather interior and the "1970's smell" was appreciated by many
Clearly top restoration cars are unlikely to offer this - and that is understandable

Now a Jensen Lorry is an interesting suggestion and that coupled with a model from each era would make a very interesting stand and "a passage through time"
Perhaps the Committee will consider that in the future

Kind regards

JIm Smith
Mem No 1639
136/8791 RJF 17 Owned since September 1978
VFK44
Co-Administrator

Post by VFK44 »

Series3Jensen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:33 pm Now a Jensen Lorry is an interesting suggestion
With the correct organisation, we wouldn't lose any stand space as the smaller vehicles could be displayed on top of the bigger one.
JNSNpiggyback.jpg
JNSNpiggyback.jpg (79.51 KiB) Viewed 780 times
"Now that chassis number is particularly interesting ‘cos it’s the one after the one before, which is the one after mine, not many people know that"
Stephen, Epping, Essex
Jens
Dr. Umlaut & Area Rep for Germany

Post by Jens »

VFK44 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:55 pm
Series3Jensen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:33 pm Now a Jensen Lorry is an interesting suggestion
With the correct organisation, we wouldn't lose any stand space as the smaller vehicles could be displayed on top of the bigger one.

JNSNpiggyback.jpg
Does that fall under „Practical Classic“?
In order of appearance:

(sold) C-V8 Mk III 112/2432
541 S 102/1035
(sold) FF MkII 127/243 (sold)
Healey Mk II 1140/14406
(sold)Jensen GT 1610/30257(sold)
Scimitar GTE SE5
Gordon Keeble #21
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Hi, I hear you ChrisR and second you on that one.

I've been on the stand only 3x since joining the club and have seen first hand what goes on to get the stand, the cars, & the people to help out. The ones that have been doing it year after year are a dab hand at it and they teach us newbies the ropes. Take Christine Jone for example, a great tip she gave me was to find out what cars will be on the stand, pull out the Richard Calver book and read up on the history of the marque, so when talking to the public you draw them in. Now many of you who know about your cars and the marques as a whole would say that is a given but not for me and that I found so helpful. Zac (#2) knows how to bring in the members to join, renew and give them guidance on the club, Helen Newby is so experience I dare say she will "out knowledge" half of the people on the stand... and as for Regalia we all know too well they use to be on the stand for the 4 days with a trailer and prior to a trailer they may have had a small booth, but Regalia never gets to see the show, and it they manage to get a bit to eat they are lucky. I am grateful for some of the old members who come and help as they know the ropes and it means we can all share the workload.

Sure we would love to have more people to help (to many can become crowded and over baring not just for the stand but for the public too) and more car space but my take on this is if you want your car displayed you should be prepared to give up 4 full days of your life to the JOC. Be prepared to be on your feet for nearly 12 hours, lose your voice after 4 days and have a backache for a week after. Also be prepared to be at your car so that you can talk about your car, not just leave it on the stand for the stand helpers to talk about your car and collect it at the end of the show; and don't expect to get anything other than a really great big thank you and a free coffee/wine or beer every so often. it is not all that bad but all these points are true... Taking to joe public day in day out is hard work and I never appreciated it until I did it the first time. this is the same for any of the shows we put on but the NEC (Nov and Resto show) and London Classic Car show I think is the two hardest.

If the club can get a bigger stand and I know they have been trying each year we would. Last year we had no Jensen Healey and the committee/club got stick for it, the year before we had Healey and GT but it was not enough, this year as Chris said it is two anniversary and they will take centre stage... I am sure Shaun is doing his best to make a super stand this year and if we have the same stand monitors or new ones we will all support him and the club at the show.

I also think instead of posting to the forum that you want your car displayed or to help out, you email the organiser (current chairman) and maybe cc someone else such as the Vicechair or a registrar... they all sit on the committee too... it is not just down to the Executive committee to decided but it is down to organiser to manage the space. If both fail to respond then I would say pick up the phone and call them, all our numbers are listed in the magazine and website pages.

So after this long winded post is more a big thank you and hope to see many more of you on the stand be it a visitor, displayer or a helper...
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

The NEC is hard work but is also interesting, fun and informative...

I know of a member that has done exactly as you mention here, many times, but always falls on deaf ears, so I believe now, has nothing to do with the club anymore. Which is a shame

But I have to ask when did "Executive committee" become a thing, become normal because their never use to be one when I joined.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
rmangroo

Post by rmangroo »

Hello all,

It's nearly time for the Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show, with discovery+ at the NEC Birmingham, Fri 11 - Sun 13 Nov. Here's a sneak preview of the Show Guide to get you in the mood! https://joom.ag/MD1d - right click to open in a new page

Don't forget members can save ££s on tickets if booked by midnight on Thus 10th at www.necclassicmotorshow.com quoting the club code N22CC264

***Our stand number is 1-780***
Raj Mangroo (She/Her)
JOC Regalia Secretary, regalia@joc.org.uk
JOC IT Officer, it@joc.org.uk
KaranMK2
JOC Chairman

Post by KaranMK2 »

Heads up on display cars - two Jensen Healey, two C- V8 and a 541. If you are visiting then please come along for a coffee / tea and a chat.

Regards,
Karan
toonkojak
JOC Eastern Europe Rep

Post by toonkojak »

Put the kettle on, Karan!
KaranMK2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:44 pm If you are visiting then please come along for a coffee / tea and a chat.

Regards,
Karan
125/5021
133/5793

Return to “General Discussion”