Keeping Busy Whilst Self Isolating

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Kevin Birch

Re: Keeping Busy Whilst Self Isolating

Post by Kevin Birch »

Bloody hell Grant, you don't mess around :shock: Just make sure the ends are kept in good nick and you'll be ok. You don't want to use the welder to clamp the metal as you're welding, just grip it,use clamps to hold the bits together. When the electrodes just touch, the micro switch should click which sends the current to the electrodes, with the unit switched off you can check this and hear the microswitch operate. You can adjust it by turning the big nut on the end of welder , and you are supposed to wait a minimum of 20 seconds between welds or the ends will melt and flatten. :(
I've got one of thesehttps://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/clarke-spot- ... ke_8133365 to keep the tips sorted.
The diameter of the main electrodes are quite small where they clamp into the unit, which is useful, as when you pick up second hand electrodes they are usually a bigger diameter, so are easy to turn down to fit :D

Good luck and play with it to get an idea, obviously the metal needs to be spotless as it is very high current but little voltage.
I've used mine to spot weld stainless and had a little success with aluminium but obviously this melts really quickly.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
jglarkin

Post by jglarkin »

Back to work next week :(

Fortunately I’ve done it :D

Pro-flo 4 is up and running. I’ve got to drive it around a bit now to let it fully tune. Maiden voyage is up to London to join in with the Waterloo Classics protest drive about the extension of the congestion charge. I’m sure the mpg will be awful but let’s hope I make it there and back.

I would never have finished it without being ‘stuck at home’.

(I’m missing the Lpg already, it runs the same but it cost twice as much to fill up). :cry:
Attachments
CAEC91A4-6453-44A6-864D-C5B716AF6F12.jpeg
CAEC91A4-6453-44A6-864D-C5B716AF6F12.jpeg (155.65 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
Jon
C-V8 112-2355
541rr 3624319

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62752698@N06/albums
"The renovation story" (a large collection of rubbish pictures of a rotten car).
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

jglarkin wrote:Maiden voyage is up to London to join in with the Waterloo Classics protest drive about the extension of the congestion charge.
I hope you understand that it will not make any difference.. The mayor wants more money to waste.

Politics over.
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Grant

Post by Grant »

jglarkin wrote:Back to work next week :(

Fortunately I’ve done it :D

Pro-flo 4 is up and running. I’ve got to drive it around a bit now to let it fully tune. Maiden voyage is up to London to join in with the Waterloo Classics protest drive about the extension of the congestion charge. I’m sure the mpg will be awful but let’s hope I make it there and back.

I would never have finished it without being ‘stuck at home’.

(I’m missing the Lpg already, it runs the same but it cost twice as much to fill up). :cry:
Nice One JonBoyMan :P .. You are a clever Ole Sod Jon.. Well done.. Hat's off from me :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
"Monkey Man"sig RegistrarImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

Here's something from me that I do when I can find time ready to bore you all :P ... >>>
>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlxdkgr2f-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Grant wrote:Here's something from me that I do when I can find time ready to bore you all :P ... >>>
>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlxdkgr2f-w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Image
Ok Grant need to see it action where's the invite?? I'll bring beer :P :lol:
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
jglarkin

Post by jglarkin »

colin7673 wrote:
jglarkin wrote:Maiden voyage is up to London to join in with the Waterloo Classics protest drive about the extension of the congestion charge.
I hope you understand that it will not make any difference.. The mayor wants more money to waste.

Politics over.
It was a nice day out but there were far too many cars on the road, all that traffic was just terrible, it really spoilt the event. :shock:

Grant, is that what they mean when they say 'crank up the heat'?
Jon
C-V8 112-2355
541rr 3624319

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62752698@N06/albums
"The renovation story" (a large collection of rubbish pictures of a rotten car).
Grant

Post by Grant »

Kevin Birch wrote:Bloody hell Grant, you don't mess around :shock: Just make sure the ends are kept in good nick and you'll be ok. You don't want to use the welder to clamp the metal as you're welding, just grip it,use clamps to hold the bits together. When the electrodes just touch, the micro switch should click which sends the current to the electrodes, with the unit switched off you can check this and hear the microswitch operate. You can adjust it by turning the big nut on the end of welder , and you are supposed to wait a minimum of 20 seconds between welds or the ends will melt and flatten. :(
I've got one of thesehttps://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/clarke-spot- ... ke_8133365 to keep the tips sorted.
The diameter of the main electrodes are quite small where they clamp into the unit, which is useful, as when you pick up second hand electrodes they are usually a bigger diameter, so are easy to turn down to fit :D

Good luck and play with it to get an idea, obviously the metal needs to be spotless as it is very high current but little voltage.
I've used mine to spot weld stainless and had a little success with aluminum but obviously this melts really quickly.
Thank you Kev for your invaluable advice Image.. The guy I got it from is a good friend and he was trying to remember how he used it on Ally, but he couldn't remember at the time, he said he thought there was a trick like putting metal between the electrode ends, but then said No.. it would come back to him :lol: but anyway.. I need to sharpen the electrodes as they are flat at the moment, I've had a read up and will let you know Kev how I get on :wink: .. Steady on the way passed the church Kev My Ole Sport :P
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

colin7673 wrote:
Grant wrote:Here's something from me that I do when I can find time ready to bore you all :P ... >>>
>>

Ok Grant need to see it action where's the invite?? I'll bring beer :P :lol:
:lol: You missed it today Colin and I have only just seen your reply now :cry: .. :wink: .. the best I can is post a picture.. so I just went into the lounge to Lara to email it to me and she has dozed off.. I'll post up a pic tomorrow Colin My Ole Fruit :D :wink:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

F73A4001-846C-4A66-8681-4C8E28F4EDAC.jpeg
F73A4001-846C-4A66-8681-4C8E28F4EDAC.jpeg (155.78 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
self isolation is over, my Jensen is back and looking pretty good with the roof cover :D
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

A434F69A-F46B-42CB-A3F0-0F68CE3CE12E.jpeg
A434F69A-F46B-42CB-A3F0-0F68CE3CE12E.jpeg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
E66DDFA5-6916-425C-987A-AC5FC3777B97.jpeg
E66DDFA5-6916-425C-987A-AC5FC3777B97.jpeg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
97CA5467-9371-4148-AB50-08949A327564.jpeg
97CA5467-9371-4148-AB50-08949A327564.jpeg (117.77 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
But just bringing him back another problem occured, engine got too hot due to malfunction of the fan system. So afterwards I checked with the help of the wiring diagram and workshop manual. My system seems to be different as described. The Temp sensor on the left side is not connected, there is also no wiring. Instead of that I'm having a system which seems to be thermopneumatic (never seen before in this function), other sensors I didn't find. Is this really the temp sensor? Which of the 3 relays in the fuse box is the one corresponding to the fans? In my wiring diagram there are no fuses for the fans (but my fuse box has a fuse box)?
Interestingly yesterday working on the fuse box cleaning all the parts with contact spray and grinding them a little bit, then checking afterwards the fans turned on. Being happy I wanted to detect which fuse responsible, took them out, then in again - afterwards malfunction again?
Out of your experience - what is the most probable reason for malfunction?
Thanks a lot for your advise
Wolfgang
Attachments
30E82CBA-2DE8-45BF-B73E-375F300BFA12.jpeg
30E82CBA-2DE8-45BF-B73E-375F300BFA12.jpeg (116.64 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
DPP

Post by DPP »

Flippin heck Grant thats more like a cathedral than a BBQ, no wonder you dont get enough time on your cars with projects like that.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi Grant
That BBQ is big enough to live in. A little Hobbit house!
Phil
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588
Grant

Post by Grant »

DPP wrote:Flippin heck Grant thats more like a cathedral than a BBQ, no wonder you dont get enough time on your cars with projects like that.
Hello DaveyBoy :P .. Yes I know!! :oops:
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage
Grant

Post by Grant »

Fishyboy wrote:Hi Grant
That BBQ is big enough to live in. A little Hobbit house!
Phil
Strange comment PhilImage.. I do live in it!!, is that not normal? Image
Manual Int&Rag-TopImage

Return to “General Discussion”