Factory paperwork....

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Oxymoron

Factory paperwork....

Post by Oxymoron »

I received copies of the original factory paperwork for my car from Martin Robey today.

It is nice that the car is still on it's original number plate.

It was supplied to Hughes of Beaconsfield as a "Demonstration Car", finished in Tangerine, with a black interior and with air conditioning and a Voxson stereo.

It looks like my car had quite a few warranty claims in it's first year, initially for it's first owner, Hughes of Beaconsfield and then for their customer, a local Company called Dage Limited, who subsequently must have purchased the car as an "ex demo"!

Replaced in the first year were the steering rack, radiator, front wheel bearings, horn relay, light and wiper switches, fan relay due to overheating, the alternator and various other issues sorted out.

The rear tailgate had to be stripped, welded and repainted, due to cracking and a letter from Jensen queries the cost of this work as being excessive at £38.50! :o

The Voxson stereo also had to be repaired or replaced, as it was "playing two tracks at once" and the electric aerial failed! :D

It's nice that the first owners were called Hughes, as that's my surname too! 8)
JOC Member 10887
brendan

Re: Factory paperwork....

Post by brendan »

Well worth the money
When I bought mine there was very little in it.
The paint from the factory seemed the worst thing. :D
8926 136/8195 BJM 639
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

It appears that it was ordered from the factory for production in May 1970, delivered for the 1st of August and the first warranty claim was issued on the 3rd of August! :roll:

By the 3rd of August there was an oil leak from the engine and a loss of hydraulic brake fluid and the stereo was malfunctioning! :lol:
20200515_183810.jpg
20200515_183810.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
JOC Member 10887
thomaslk

Post by thomaslk »

Cool documentation ...
What is a 4-3 overdrive - any ideas?
rgds
Thomas
Int Mk III
2211-1490
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Has the same 4-3 in the engine number. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Krusty

Post by Krusty »

anyone know what this axle type / ratio means ?
kyi-1068

overdrive 6-4
EX GTU864T MK111 J
Current JLO78K MK111 G

Membership No 8122
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

brendan wrote:Well worth the money
When I bought mine there was very little in it.
The paint from the factory seemed the worst thing. :D
I emailed them first to see if they had much paperwork for my car and they replied that they had a decent amount, so it was worthwhile and nice to add to the box file of other paperwork that I have.

Cheers,
Jez
JOC Member 10887
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

thomaslk wrote:Cool documentation ...
What is a 4-3 overdrive - any ideas?
rgds
Thomas
I don't know what that refers to.

My engine number will now be different as it was replaced by a previous owner in 2003 with another from the USA.

Cheers,
Jez
JOC Member 10887
kenny38

Post by kenny38 »

I got all my papers some years ago. The first owner (out of 3, me included) wrote bitterly that he could not afford to drive this car as fuel consumption from the 6 pack was 6 MPG. Rear carbs were replaced. However a lot of issues had to be fixed including would you believe "premature" rust at the door handles. Amazing such an expensive car would have these "faults". Had a cheap company car as well and that Ford was never in the shop. Still got the first sticker on the screen. Car is a 72 SP minus that 6 pack which i had removed 30 years ago as very tempremental. Kenny38 8)
MikeWilliams
Early Cars Expert

Post by MikeWilliams »

Have often heard about lots of warranty claims but you have to feel for Jensen as most of these were outside their control. radiator, alternator, steering rack, wheel bearing, switches ... none of those really Jensen's fault.

Mike
Mike
(former JOC Early Cars Registrar)
(former owner of 116/3328 and P66)
Still own 1938 Jensen HL1 drophead
Tim SP
JOC Interceptor Variants Registrar

Post by Tim SP »

Well something wasn't going right late 1972.

NYC 777L Warren-tree

Re-paint car!
Replace rear bumper (rust)
Replace exhaust (rotten)
Replace both door handles (pitting)
Replace road wheels (electrolysis no doubt caused by weights)
Replace six-pack.
Thats the big stuff, also a ton of stuff I can't remember- its the biggest file I have ( Craig & keith at Robey's said it was one if the biggest file 1" thick)

A letter from Kevin Beattie, stating he personally would look into this matter.

Car breaks down 02:00am on Dartmoor- final straw, car goes back to factory for the 'millionth time' six-pack comes off, and a load more work is agreed.

Jensen bills for £5 fuel for road test, customer is chased even after the receiver is in place- he states he will never pay it out of principle.. and never did.
He sells car to a good friend-they remained friends (as all the owners have) till his death.

That said, they did sort is & it remains the 'statue' it is today.

Aston Martin? They will never ever release factory paper work, only build sheet- I wonder why!?!
The Italian stuff-can you imagine!
They alll had issues, but the Jensen (from reading countless car histories) really did go the extra mile to sort things & keep happy customers, many were repeat customers, my man traded his DB4 for a new MK11, that after for the new SP.

Post by sticky »

Tim SP wrote:Well something wasn't going right late 1972.

NYC 777L Warren-tree

Re-paint car!
Replace rear bumper (rust)
Replace exhaust (rotten)
Replace both door handles (pitting)
Replace road wheels (electrolysis no doubt caused by weights)
Replace six-pack.
Thats the big stuff, also a ton of stuff I can't remember- its the biggest file I have ( Craig & keith at Robey's said it was one if the biggest file 1" thick)

A letter from Kevin Beattie, stating he personally would look into this matter.

Car breaks down 02:00am on Dartmoor- final straw, car goes back to factory for the 'millionth time' six-pack comes off, and a load more work is agreed.

Jensen bills for £5 fuel for road test, customer is chased even after the receiver is in place- he states he will never pay it out of principle.. and never did.
He sells car to a good friend-they remained friends (as all the owners have) till his death.

That said, they did sort is & it remains the 'statue' it is today.

Aston Martin? They will never ever release factory paper work, only build sheet- I wonder why!?!
The Italian stuff-can you imagine!
They alll had issues, but the Jensen (from reading countless car histories) really did go the extra mile to sort things & keep happy customers, many were repeat customers, my man traded his DB4 for a new MK11, that after for the new SP.
My paper work from robey was the line inspection sheet showing NO defects however the road tester found the offside exchaust manifold was blowing and the near side door was difficult to open. guess what when i brought the car 2 yrs ago the manifold was still blowing it had cracks in it where it had been poorly welded and the door was impossible to open without a big boot on the door card from the inside 71 MK 11 6.3 G SERIES
sticky by name stick at it by nature !!!!
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

The worse the car, the more plentiful the files. I had three packed envelopes full!
IMG_3937.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG (128.98 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

MikeWilliams wrote:Have often heard about lots of warranty claims but you have to feel for Jensen as most of these were outside their control. radiator, alternator, steering rack, wheel bearing, switches ... none of those really Jensen's fault.

Mike
There were quite a few small niggly problems on my car which should have been picked up on a final inspection.

I can imagine that the first owners may have been annoyed having spent, the cost of an average house on a new car!
JOC Member 10887
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Mine had a few niggles, including windscreen motor being replaced within 3 months, the customer still wasn't impressed with the wiper operation, Jensen replied with a letter basically saying they're all like that :shock: There is a receipt for a gallon of Carr's white paint after the car being 18 months old, would love to know why.
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067

Return to “General Discussion”