Sale of new Petrol & Diesel only cars to be banned from 2035

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
AH1951

Re: Sale of new Petrol & Diesel only cars to be banned from

Post by AH1951 »

Wolfgang wrote:guys, we're part of probably one of the last generations with combustion engines. But let's keep -beside the chaos in climate discussions
"Climate Change" has absolutely nothing to do with the climate. (Which is doing just fine, by the way. There is no 'Climate Emergency'.)
It's all about power, money, and control.
You will very likely still be able to drive Internal Combustion Engined cars in 50 years time if you live long enough.
Just not in Barmy Britain. Or perhaps I should say, Barmy Europe, because certain other European countries seem determined to follow GB into committing serious economic self-harm by pursuing "Zero Carbon".
:) :) :)
(See Honest John today in the Telegraph.
Lots of fun comments.)
Screenshot_20200215-075051_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200215-075051_Samsung Internet.jpg (57.71 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I learned in the lot of years during my life that I will never be able to change politics - so as a small guy I've to adapt and to try to deviate rules and regulations as they influence directly my simple life. Since Greta the world is in climate improvement empathy, like every empathy - like the last one I faced in Germany 'refugees welcome', the empathy will die relatively fast but we have to live with facts created at that time, the refugees have invaded us, we have to live with them and their Ghettos, climate will remain as it is but we have to live with the restrictions created at that time. Here in Belgium in the Cities of Gent, Antwerp and Brussels all vehicles not fulfilling the CO2 recommendations are banned - only oldtimers having special plates are allowed until further notice.
My 2 belgian ones are having, but nobody knows how long this excemption will last...
My german ones are restricted - so why not implementing an electric drive train (like KERS in F1) and having some extra power on demand, while beating and deviating the system, after that my Lola is absolutely environmental 'up to date' :D :D :D
Have fun guys 8)
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
colin7673
now normal...

Post by colin7673 »

Also let's not forget how the motor car was received back in the day,,, men walking with red flags, are we not doing the same about electric, but just a different way?
Only working half a day now.
http://www.jensensontour.co.uk
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

As Wolfgang kind of implies (I think) "Im alright Jack". At the moment and for the foreseeable future I can drive my "forever" car , a 6.3 litre V8 Jensen with impunity (whoever she is :D ), unlike my everyday diesel. When the time comes I will probably have to trade that in for an electric or hybrid, and I am not too bothered by that prospect... People still cherish traction engines and steam locomotives. I imagine classic cars will join these illustrious forebears in years hence.
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

Frankoid wrote: People still cherish traction engines and steam locomotives. I imagine classic cars will join these illustrious forebears in years hence.
They do and hopefully you are right, what worries me is they will start to be considered the ''bad boys'' and we will have eggs thrown at us or something worse.

I think with the ban on ICE powered cars the problem will be is where will we get the fuel from after 2055, I have a friend with a steam engine and he now has to order his coal to be delivered to his work. That works for him as he can carry the coal on his trailer.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
Frankoid

Post by Frankoid »

Steve Payne wrote:
what worries me is they will start to be considered the ''bad boys'' and we will have eggs thrown at us or something worse.

Steve
Well, you always will have the tractors and the detractors :D
Keith

Post by Keith »

colin7673 wrote:Also let's not forget how the motor car was received back in the day,,, men walking with red flags, are we not doing the same about electric, but just a different way?
I don't think so Colin.

In the early days people were wary and fearful of this amazing new technology, hence the man walking in front with a flag.

With the current trend to electric vehicles, people are excited, interested in the technology, and wanting to get involved.
Forum Founder & Forum Member No 1.
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

I test drove the Tesla today: the entry level Model 3.
In terms of driving, it was everything you'd want a car to be. Even as an entry level model, the instant huge poke from the go pedal was mightily impressive to say the least. It was very comfy and composed on the motorway, and terrific fun on the twisties. Really puts a smile on your face.
It was also very natural and so easy to drive.
I'm so looking forward to delivery.
I started by saying it was everything you'd want a car to be. And as a car, that's true.
At £40,000, the only thing it isn't is however is affordable.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

So if it's not affordable, why are you looking forward to delivery??
FF MK1 119/100
Interceptor MK3 136/8514
JOC Member 8905
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

Keith wrote: With the current trend to electric vehicles, people are excited, interested in the technology, and wanting to get involved.
I agree. But there's a limit to how much an owner/driver can become involved in its operation. Just plug it in.
After the novelty wears off, these cars are going to be treated as just another appliance, with little maintenance or mechanical knowledge required of the driver.
Beyond checking the tyres & screenwasher fluid, I wonder what else there is to consider?
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

AH1951 wrote:
Keith wrote: With the current trend to electric vehicles, people are excited, interested in the technology, and wanting to get involved.
I agree. But there's a limit to how much an owner/driver can become involved in its operation. Just plug it in.
After the novelty wears off, these cars are going to be treated as just another appliance, with little maintenance or mechanical knowledge required of the driver.
Beyond checking the tyres & screenwasher fluid, I wonder what else there is to consider?
that's exactly what most of the people want, a nearly maintenance free car. I also had a Tesla for a one week test, amazing acceleration, easy to handle, one of the next versions quite for sure will have an active driving assistant like the Audi of my brother in law (no need to do anything, he's driving, braking, steering to more than 90%, you're only obliged to control the system and to overtake in case of emergency, means the driver's seat has to be used...)
For my daily needs Tesla is also an option for me.
Jensen Interceptor MKIII convertible
Ford GT 40
Ferrari F430 F1 (sold)
Lotus Super Seven (Westfield)
Mercedes SLK AMG
and some others...
www.doctors-garage.be
Richie
V8 Lover

Post by Richie »

Martin R wrote:So if it's not affordable, why are you looking forward to delivery??
Sorry, I didn't phrase that well at all. I meant in the wider sense, £40,000 is beyond many budgets - including my own really - And at that price, it competes with an awful lot of cars.
What makes it so attractive for me is that as a company car, it's not only a (hopefully) great car, but, compared to my first choice (Alfa Guilia) (or anything comparable really), it saves me £5,000 a year income tax and I reckon around £1,500 a year in fuel. That's a lot of ££ each year into the Jensen fund :D
If it were my own money, there would be much more to consider. The Tesla is a great car, as such, for someone in the "£40,000 for a new car market" the decision to go for a Tesla based on the car's considerable merits, might be the same. It might be the preferred choice over it's BMW / Jag / Audi / Alfa price competition. But maybe not. It's the tax breaks make it a no brainer for me - hopefully a great car and £6,500 a year to spend elsewhere. Perhaps on an Alfa for Jane? :D Result.
No doubt that in time that electric cars will fall in price and the tax incentives will go... but it makes sense to me to make the most of them whilst they're here.
And it was a proper hoot to drive...
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

A vague link to the subject topic here.
More stuff to be banned.
From The Telegraph.
:( :(
Screenshot_20200221-082722_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200221-082722_Samsung Internet.jpg (57.47 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
RAP72
V8 Lover

Post by RAP72 »

yes another well thought out policy .I believe I heard that gas fires/central heating boilers are also being phased out (1). It was meant to be last year but that one missed the target. So that is more reliance on Electricity. And of course Richie will be adding to the problem soon :mrgreen:

(1) The Chancellor Philip Hammond has announced the shock news that gas heating will be banned for new build homes by 2025 as part of the government's wider move to tackle climate change.21 Mar 2019
AH1951

Post by AH1951 »

'Climate Change'.
Hahahahahahahahahaha.
I checked temperatures across the UK the other day. You see, apparently we've made it ONE Centigrade warmer since 1880.
Well, it was 0 degrees in John O'Groats, 6 degrees in Preston, and 13 degrees in Bournemouth.
So, without mankind's meddling, it would have been -1 degree in JOG, 5 degrees in Preston, and 12 degrees in Bournemouth.
But we have a Climate Emergency now!
You can see the problem, can't you?
Last edited by AH1951 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”