Trackday with the C-V8 (Anneau du Rhin)

You can discuss anything here, Jensen related or not. Technical discussions / questions may be moved to the correct Forum.
Han Kamp

Re: Trackday with the C-V8 (Anneau du Rhin)

Post by Han Kamp »

felixkk wrote:Thanks Grant! The fast curves I thought were most scary (those could have been driven quite a bit quicker I suspect), otherwise I have a lot of confidence in the way the C-V8 handles. The tight corners involved quite a bit of strength to hold on to the steering wheel- which flexed quite a bit. A better seat would certainly make life easier. Not much tire screetching in the corners compared to ordinary roads. I suspect it was because of the amount of rubber on the track...? Manual would most definitely be cool, and we have talked about it! But I don‘t think I would have been much quicker- had I gone into 2nd gear, which I completely forgot about doing :roll: Plus, I needed both hands to hold on to the steering wheel. Accelerating out of tight corners in a curved stretch (after turn 2 and 4) I thought was mega :D
Great footage and fantastic sound Felix! Room for improvement for sure.... cornering and especially exiting the corner technique, using the width of the track more so you can get back on the throttle sooner. I watched the tacho and noticed you stayed well below the red zone, so there was some more speed available. Didn't you increase the tyre pressure before going racing? Judging by the wear pattern you were running with too low pressure. (talking from experience, having done many track days and rallies in my JH and GT and raced Dutch championship karting for 8+ years)
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Hi Han! I was advised to reduce the tire pressure to 2.0, as the tires heated up during the runs and the pressure increased due to the heat. We were also advised to possibly leave the track during the runs to check the tire pressure when warm, but I didn’t think that was necessary as the grip felt fine. In the tight corners I applied as much gas a possible- the grip on the road seemed less of an issue (less tire screetching than on ordinary roads), it was more of the being able to hold on to the steering wheel. Late braking and going into the corner with as little braking as possible is of course key- and quite intimidating. The C-V8 is a big and heavy car compared to the J-H or the GT! In the fast curves I at times tried to follow the cars ahead of me, but didn‘t have the nerve to chase them at quite the same speed. You’re right- the only times I floored the gas pedal was on the straights, otherwise the engine was well beneath its limits. I‘m not sure I‘d be able to go near the red zone in the tight areas of the track...
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
Roh

Post by Roh »

What did you think of LAPTIMER GRAND PRIX EDITION?
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
Kevin Birch

Post by Kevin Birch »

Great footage Felix, a big heavy car to throw around, but certainly didn't disgrace itself, especially how you reeled the BMW and Alfa in on the straight. :) My favourite bit was the MK2 Cortina coming screaming past, sounded like a Twin cam, but certainly got twin Webers on it. Gives me more impetus to get mine back on the road, and do this sort of thing, as it would surely be better than the Interceptor in this domain. :D
My Toys: Lotus Cortina MK2.RangeRover P38, Yam inflatable, Saab 9-3 Convertible.
Mk1 Interceptor, 115/3067
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Rohan Christmas wrote:What did you think of LAPTIMER GRAND PRIX EDITION?
I used Harry‘s Lap Timer App on my phone, and I struggled with it. It‘s not really intuitive and I didn‘t find a manual apart from Harry‘s Youtube videos, which aren‘t all that great. I had the Gopro camera coupled to the app, that worked medium well- especially overlaying the data onto the video (I should have had the Iphone camera on also, which I didn‘t realize and can‘t understand why that is so) was tedious. In the end I used the video screenshot function of the phone to save the video- it displayed it correctly on the phone but wouldn‘t export it with the data, and also rotated the video and cropped it horribly (the camera mount to the helmet is only possible in the vertical position)

As the trackday was nearing I was watching Youtube films of the track and saw that app- which I thought was quite helpful when you see the actual speed the person is doing. I also tried to use the app beforehand, on ordinary roads, but that never worked. Also, it is somewhat of a mystery to me why the app choses the somewhat randomn spot on the track as the start/finish- maybe it was me who did this without realizing it. Luckily I chose the correct route for the given track, because different track options are possible. All stuff you need to worry about on that day when you‘re mind is occupied with other stuff :D Having said that, next time I‘m on the track I‘ll either have forgotten everything, or it will be much easier. :roll:

Thanks Kevin- take the Interceptor on the track, you‘ll have a blast. I‘m not sure if the Ferrari and the C-V8 were the only stock cars in our group, and we didn‘t cause a queue!!
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Pictures from
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... lCWE1BbElR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7EA2B270-6368-475A-BBE8-82A7BF86F2C7.jpeg
7EA2B270-6368-475A-BBE8-82A7BF86F2C7.jpeg (156 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
657E850C-8129-40ED-AC2C-067AC8341B53.jpeg
657E850C-8129-40ED-AC2C-067AC8341B53.jpeg (142.53 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Han Kamp

Post by Han Kamp »

This looks like a great event with some very interesting cars. How did your CV-8 perform?
Han Kamp The Netherlands
Formerly owned Jensens: 1974 JH, 1976 GT, 1952 4 litre Interceptor, 1954 4 litre Interceptor Left Hand Drive, 1957 541.

clubwebsite: http://www.JensenHolland.nl
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Han Kamp wrote:This looks like a great event with some very interesting cars. How did your CV-8 perform?
Hi Han. The C-V8 caused no (or very little) problems. There was an occasional knock in the the tight left corners, which seemed to be something mechanical and was quite disconcerting- but we could not locate it and has not reappeared since. In the video (https://youtu.be/ZEjDPBrsbPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) you see the oil pressure drop significantly in the corners, but that is maybe just the gauge? Lovely day, scary as hell though. Being on the track for the first time I was driving no where near to what the car is capable of. Once I braked too late, possibly the tires weren't warm enough yet, and the car began to swerve. In the video you also see that I had just refueled and the tank was full- bad idea because I lost petrol in the right corners.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Roh

Post by Roh »

If you are running a standard sump odds on you are getting oil starvation and that caused the knock you heard. Before doing another track session buy and install a road race sump, They have features such as trap doors to ensure that there is always oil at the pickup. I’ll try and post some pictures tomorrow.
Last edited by Roh on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Roh wrote:If you are running a standard sump odds on you are getting oil starvation and that caused the knock you heard. Before doing another track session buy and install a road race sump, They have features such as trap doors to ensure that there is always air at the pickup. I’ll try and post some pictures tomorrow.
Hi Rohan- ah ok, interesting- thank you. I already have a deeper sump with trap doors though... but I was running a bit low on oil :oops:
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Roh

Post by Roh »

That should have read oil not air.
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Roh wrote:That should have read oil not air.
Strangely enough I read oil. The knock seemed to come from somewhere below the driver's seat, which would make sense but confused me because I thought it had something to do with the steering.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Roh

Post by Roh »

What sump are you running? Does it have gates?
HPIM0289.jpg
HPIM0289.jpg (150.84 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
HPIM0287.jpg
HPIM0287.jpg (156.18 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG (211.14 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
Joerg
JOC Early Cars Registrar

Post by Joerg »

Milodon PRO TOURING -
STOCK CHASSIS and STEERING
That’s what you need!

https://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/chrysler-oil-pans.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I own some of the odd Jensen 8)
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Not sure which sump is on the car Ronan- thank you for the pics. I do remember being told there are some type of gates. Why and from where is the knock- it‘s the pump itself when there is no oil? Thsnks Joerg for the link.
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Return to “General Discussion”