383 Vacuum advance leaking

Mopar Big Block Talk
Eddie

383 Vacuum advance leaking

Post by Eddie »

My vacuum advance diaphragm is leaking.

The car is running sweet as a nut, but I get a bit of a flat spot on acceleration and occasional spit back, only when cold.

So hoping the leaking advance will solve this problem, a look around Mopar forums does tend to suggest it will.

So my questions are.

1. Can you just replace the diaphragm. Or is it just worth replacing the whole unit?

2. Is there an uprated version I should be looking for, assume mine is fairly stock blue streak one?

3. My advance timing is set, assuming I get everything back in the same place will it need readjustment being new?

Thanks in advance (timing based pun :D )
Eddie

JOC 10030
Interceptor II 123/3901 CEA 1J
1970 Earls Court Motorshow Car
Chris_R
JOC General Secretary

Re: 383 Vacuum advance leaking

Post by Chris_R »

Your best bet for such advice is to contact The Distributor Doctor. http://www.distributordoctor.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
JOC Member 6116
--------------------------------------------------
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Chris_R wrote:Your best bet for such advice is to contact The Distributor Doctor. http://www.distributordoctor.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Chris.

Yes looks like he will know.

Ta
Eddie

JOC 10030
Roh

Post by Roh »

I'm pretty certain that you can get NOS vacuum canisters.

You may be able to repair it yourself with a dab of silicone. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsVY0mvoO0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is your motor standard? If so a standard canister will be appropriate. If not you would want an adjustable canister (I understand that the standard hex shaped canister is adjustable). For more aggressive engine set ups you wouldn't use any vacuum advance at all.
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Rohan Christmas wrote:I'm pretty certain that you can get NOS vacuum canisters.

You may be able to repair it yourself with a dab of silicone. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsVY0mvoO0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is your motor standard? If so a standard canister will be appropriate. If not you would want an adjustable canister (I understand that the standard hex shaped canister is adjustable). For more aggressive engine set ups you wouldn't use any vacuum advance at all.
Thanks Rohan.

I took the unit off last night and to be honest it’s probably just worth looking at either NOS or a refurbished one from the distributor doctor who Chris put me onto.

My car is pretty standard, the only real mod is an edlebrock performa intake manifold. I have read on Mopar forums that some people don’t bother with the advance on there higher powered motors. I will have a drive at the weekend with it disconnected to see the difference.

Ta
Eddie

JOC 10030
Roh

Post by Roh »

Have a look here: https://www.manciniracing.com/vaadme.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1964 Jensen CV-8 II
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Eddie if your advance unit is leaking vacuum then it is not working. You will not feel any difference with it disconnected. Easy to check. Have someone hold the RPMs steady at maybe 2000 and pull off the hose. If you don't have any change in engine speed then it is not working. If the engine speed increases as you put the hose on then it is working. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Rohan Christmas wrote:Have a look here: https://www.manciniracing.com/vaadme.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great stuff, thanks Rohan, at that price it’s not worth mucking about replacing the diaphragm.

Ta
Eddie

JOC 10030
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

slotcarone wrote:Eddie if your advance unit is leaking vacuum then it is not working. You will not feel any difference with it disconnected. Easy to check. Have someone hold the RPMs steady at maybe 2000 and pull off the hose. If you don't have any change in engine speed then it is not working. If the engine speed increases as you put the hose on then it is working. :)
That’s a great bit of advice, thanks Slotcarone :D

I assume when the engine is warm, choke off.

Will give it a go, now thinking of looking at leaks from carb to intake. I have the out of the box 2x rubber gaskets with metal gasket between, but would I be better looking at a different gasket?
Eddie

JOC 10030
DaveV8

Post by DaveV8 »

Andy at appleyards sells the vacuum canister
Jensen.co.uk
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

Eddie what is wrong with the wat your engine is running? Why are you looking for vacuum/carb leaks? :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Thanks Dave V8 for the info.

I get spitback into the carb on acceleration while the engine is getting up to temperature.

When at temperature it is fine and runs perfectly.

The carb has been rebuilt by Dave Barnett so we can rule out any carb problems.

All other aspects of the vehicle running is perfect. Cold starting, hot starting, generally the best it has ever run.
Eddie

JOC 10030
Steve Payne
MASSIVE RED CARD
MASSIVE RED CARD

Post by Steve Payne »

You can buy the cannister ready to fit like this
https://www.manciniracing.com/vaadcabmopre.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably easier to get one here in the UK with shipping costs and import duty.

Easy to fit and only takes a few mins, you don't even need to remove the distributor from the car to do it with a bit of practice.

Steve
JOC official Lightning engineer
slotcarone

Post by slotcarone »

I would fix the advance unit if it is not working. Could possibly be the cause of your problem. Could also be a choke/carb adjustment issue. :)
1972 Interceptor III
133-5612
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Thanks guys.

Will replace unit and go from there :D
Eddie

JOC 10030

Return to “V-8 Engine Tech”