Jensen Interceptor SP “barn find” for sale via this site

Jensens Only! Forum automatically deletes unanswered posts after 120 days.
johnw

Re: Jensen Interceptor SP “barn find” for sale via this site

Post by johnw »

felixkk wrote:If you read some of the posts it makes you think twice about putting a car up for sale on this forum...
I agree. I also think it is a fantastic opportunity for someone. If it was put away rotten that would explain why the top looks so good, and why the engine is probably still OK. You have to view it as a 10 year+ project, maybe it gets done sooner. You compare it to Aston Martins, I think SP's and FFs are in that league due to low production numbers, the unique FF drive line, and the SP's crazy engine.
Have you seen our stolen Jensen FF 119/011 https://twitter.com/jensenffdotcom
jvcarrier

Post by jvcarrier »

We should remember a few issues,

Phil has been approached as an official of the club and has kindly given up his time to go see and report on this car. I for one appreciate the time and effort he has spent on our behalf.

The owner has access to the comments that are being made on this forum and it is likely that he or someone on his behalf will read these comments.

This car has the potential to be a very nice vehicle, once there is a certain amount of rust in the lower body the cost of restoring it is very similar, inner and outer sills, floorpans, front and rear wings, door skins and lower panel, front and rear valances. It does not matter if they are only slightly needed or definitely required they have to be done.

This car could be a lowish mileage example, axle, box and engine could be fine with a rebuild, suspension will need doing regardless. Sounds as though glass is good, badges are there, interior looks reasonable what’s not to like.

A big thing is that it is complete and has not had bits lost or damaged through a quick strip.

Say 15k for metal, 12k for paint, 15k for mechanicals and you have a 42k spend plus the time and effort of doing the assembly.

What is a well restored SP worth - enough that providing the engine bay is not a total rust pit, one could drop £10k on this without too many sleepless nights.

It would probably be bid higher on fleebay but then how many aborted sales would there be as the dreamers drop out?

These projects will dry up and then one will look back at cars like this and think what if.

SP,s have greater capabilities than DB6’s - sooner or later they will be recognised for the fast, comfortable and rare cars that they are.
Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

The values of Astons,and other cars are irrelevant . This is a complete wreck of a little known make,as opposed to a world renowned marque such as AM.
You would be some sort of nutcase to entertain the idea of buying,and restoring this SP. IF you paid £3 grand,then you could perhaps sell some bits for say £6K..
fine,no probs.However,why would you ever even think about pushing £80K into this project? If you had that sort of dosh,go out there and buy one ,,and enjoy it the following day,not five or six years later.
DPP

Post by DPP »

As said it will need a lot of work, especially welding but im sure many owners have bought much better looking cars that needed almost as much welding as this once stripped. If the rot is below the waistline then its not so bad as repair panels are cheaper to buy and have fitted than full wings and rear quarters.
Personally I like the challange of bringing something like this back to life as im sure others do.

It would be a great shame if somebody bought the car and broke it for parts, its an SP and they arent making any more. hopefully it will find a new owner who will do right by the car.
Dave Pearce
Oily Rag Classics
Jensen FF 119/133
Jensen FF 119/182
Jensen Interceptor III 128/4430
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

kenny38 wrote:Hi Felixx.Thankyou for info. However on looking through the AM's only on offer i did note that many if not most were unfinished restos. Not much rust shown. Amazing prices :shock: I very much doubt whether he will get what he is looking for at auction. If some one offers to cart it away, he should take the offer. Make space for the next one. Kenny38 :D
As a C-V8/541 owner it is a bit odd to argue with an SP owner, that this SP is worth anything- no? :D You‘re pulling some kind of a reverse psychology number on me aren’t you? I don’t really follow AM or E-Type sales... always on the lookout for them when I‘m in my C-V8 (as prey) :D :D Not always successful though, I might add.
C3D917DB-5DC1-484C-AC4E-0BED16705121.jpeg
C3D917DB-5DC1-484C-AC4E-0BED16705121.jpeg (119.79 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
Felix Kistler
C-V8 112/2454, 541DL 2223849
JOC 9465
Secretary/VP JCC Jensen Car Club of Switzerland

www.jcc.ch / office@jcc.ch
interjen

Post by interjen »

Wow Felix, I can't remember the last time I saw an open road where you could do that in the UK in daylight!, Looks like it might rain though :shock:
2340/1842 Int Conv
1640/30077 GT
115/3215 Int MK1
Bentley 111
Mk1/Mk2 Jag
DB7 Vantage Volante
1926 Clyno Royal Saloon
1922 Aveling and Porter Steam Roller (Sally)
GPZ900R
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

A chance encounter on a Sunday between Berne and Zurich, usually dense traffic but on that day the road was open. We drove together for about 30 or 40 kilometers- sometimes he was in front, sometimes he was behind me as left the other cars behind us :D On the uphills my gaspedal was on the floor but I managed to keep up (barely).
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

Michael Richardson

Post by Michael Richardson »

Well done Felixx. That must have been fab fun ! Great picture,and I am sure a great memory. However,That is a lightweight E...would probably pull close to 180 m.p.h,,but let us not talk about values of an old ,rusty Interceptor SP any more..The Jag ? say 500K depending on history.
felixkk

Post by felixkk »

Michael Richardson wrote:However,That is a lightweight E...would probably pull close to 180 m.p.h,
Which is why you need an SP :D I do wonder though if and how much reserve he had on that uphill acceleration stretch, I like to think that he would have pulled away if he could have :D (https://fastestlaps.com/models/jaguar-e ... ightweight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... :shock: )
Felix Kistler
JOC 9465

cannonball

Post by cannonball »

felixkk wrote:
Michael Richardson wrote:However,That is a lightweight E...would probably pull close to 180 m.p.h,
Which is why you need an SP :D I do wonder though if and how much reserve he had on that uphill acceleration stretch, I like to think that he would have pulled away if he could have :D (https://fastestlaps.com/models/jaguar-e ... ightweight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... :shock: )

He was probably flat out to, he aint gonna pussy if its game on,
WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, 07974 088375,
CLOBBER THE COMPETITION
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi All,
The bonnet of the SP has now been opened and the car has been rolled out of the garage. I shall contact all those who have registered an interest in buying the car by PM in the next couple of days to arrange and "open day" to view the car.

Mileage on the car is 86,000.

Additional photos below.

Phil
Attachments
Photo 1.JPG
Photo 1.JPG (198.89 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
Photo 2.JPG
Photo 2.JPG (152.02 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
Photo 4.JPG
Photo 4.JPG (183.23 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
Photo 3.JPG
Photo 3.JPG (224.81 KiB) Viewed 4911 times
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588 - Now sold
Ingenium

Post by Ingenium »

Hi my name is karl I'm very very interested in buying your SP you have forsale. I'm currently restoring several Jensen interceptors we do a full nut and bolt ground up 0 miles restoration on all our vehicles and would love the opportunity to restore the SP .
My contact details are 07979596344 .

Kind regards Karl
Fishyboy

Post by Fishyboy »

Hi all,
Thanks to everyone who has expressed an interest in viewing and possibly buying this car.
I have contacted by PM all those interested with details of an "open day" to view the car which is to be held next week.
If you are interested and have not received a PM from me about the viewing please contact me via PM.
Phil Fish
Joint Southern Area Rep
J.O.C. Member 10659
1956 Jensen 541 95-5633
1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7
1961 Volvo 131 Amazon - a Survivor
1968 Volvo 1800S
1969 Mk II Interceptor 123/3588 - Now sold
Joe Schiavone

Post by Joe Schiavone »

Can not help but my 2 cents. Unless you have never driven an 6 Pack. I have a 74 Drophead that I installed a factory 6 Pack cast Iron intake linkage and carbs back in 88. I have factory linkage with perfect tranny kickdow Although it does not have a totally complete factory 6 Pack the 6 Pack transformed my 35,000 mile garage kept factory car into a racehorse that has always wanted to go faster and quicker than reasonable people should. I believe the 6 Pack motor would have made it into the Drophead if the Goverment had not gone in a different direction I went with a Low stall torque converter A high torque starter Carbs rebuilt by a real Six Pack Specialest. With 3 people in the car I have had it to 135 MPH still pulling relentlessly. The fear of the police confiscating the car was the only thing that returned
me to reality. The 6 Pack in stock form transformed my superior car to the next level. This SP is a Special part of Jensen history. RacerJoe
Series3Jensen

Post by Series3Jensen »

Hi
Just thought that I would update the ID details on this car
I believe that the Chassis No should be 138/8426 not 138/8436
The car left the factory on 09/04/73
Car was Yellow with Black VR and Black Interior
Original Registration No was HJF 5 L
It was also fitted with a Voxson radio cartridge

Jim Smith Mem No 1639
136/8791 - Owned for over 40 years